• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

Do you have to pay Honda to have stripped the box and inspected it? It may be worth seeing if they will be willing to help out with the cost, meet you half way or something?

I would try your luck with customer services/complaints and hope to get a good will gesture.

Tell them that you would like an explanation as to why the first warranty claim was accepted with the Mods.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yep, done that jason. Also gave them a chronological overview of what & when.
also highlighted the many workmanship issues with the car at the first clutch warranty - loose subframe bolts being the most major as well as various other things. Not only were they loose, they tried to blame the HCTR brake cooling ducts on the knocking. Yeah a bit of 3D printed plastic will cause that substantial knock that subframes do when loose. :eek: ended up me diagnosing it at home and telling dealer to fix it. Who's to say the clutch was tightened correctly and caused these issues?

worth a go. it's all legit reasons and a legit claim to go with. I'm still waiting on the Xtreme clutch to turn up so i'm not adding to the delay yet. 2 weeks without the car though :(

when the dealer got back to me with my email i sent yesterday, which was just warranty confirming their "it's final" standpoint, he also said that a goodwill gesture would unavailable. They really know how to rub salt in to the wound!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where they have got us in these gearbox issues is that it has to be the dealer to diagnose the fault and perform the strip down so when the warranty is refused you get stung with dealer labour charges.

Be interesting to see how well the dealer handles your clutch kit replacement as well,
Are they happy having it floating around waiting on the clutch kit or will they want the car put back together and gone

popped over the dealer earlier today - gearbox is in bits on the bench with parts inbound tomorrow. They're happy to throw the old bits in the back of the car for me. will be interesting to see if i can find anything and also have some mantlepiece mementos of the work.

non-honda clutch kit - they have no problem fitting and i'll just sign a waiver on the non-honda parts. I confirmed they were happy to fit aftermarket parts before deciding to go with the Xtreme.

I also did a mental breakdown of the entire job, using honda's fixed price clutch replacement @ £765 as a baseline. i ended up around £300 short. I queried the prices with the dealer and turns out the synchro is £650, and not £350 as per tegiwa listing. I've asked the dealer to look at why there's such a difference. i'm sure it's not down to a discount tegiwa gets. I'm hoping there's a modified P/N involved and the price difference reflects that.
second gear is also £125.
8 hours labour for the entire job, which i believe a clutch is 6 hours on its own so 2h on gearbox time.

Finally, TDI-North got back to me today. Clutch finally arrived in to them and should be with me on Monday. they've had a look themselves and say "...this clutch kit looks an amazing piece of kit I am very impressed with it.". Always a good thing to hear when you've blown £1200+ on something.

Car wasn't causing any issues with the dealer - subframe bolted back up and got pushed outside. The warranty only got an outcome on Wednesday so regardless of who was paying, today wouldn't have seen the car returned to me (last day of its 2 week booking). I'm expecting the CTR back on Wednesday.
My suspicions were correct though.... clutch remains bolted to the engine. No investigation has been done there for warranty. pressure plate looked alright - no damaged or missing fingers so if there is a problem it's further inside. Dealer knew about the Xtreme clutch since before it went in so there'd be no reason to bolt the original back up. Hindsight i should have taken a picture with it bolted in place in case i push it with an ombudsman/claims court.

2nd gear feels worse than it looks in pictures, but really doesn't take much to make it feel bad.

won't matter going forward. Warranty expired on mine on 26th.
until now, there should be no reason Honda could legit deny the gearbox. Damage is done to the engagement synchro teeth as you shift, not the actual 2nd gear when you drive. Clutch (if working correctly) should fully disengage so wouldn't matter if you're 100bhp or 1000bhp - engine & gearbox are not connected.

I've receipts, emails and dealer bookings in my calendar to disprove anything Honda could throw at me about bits or work being fitted on xyz date. Their own records will show the things that matter have been done with genuine parts (1l oil topups, oil filters, gearbox oil etc). Only places the car has been to are tyre shops (tyres only), TDI-North (exhaust) and Center Gravity (camber balljoints). Honda for all other work.

Sorry for sounding a bit dumb :)

The dealer is going to repair the gearbox and fit your aftermarket clutch kit at your cost,
So with the aftermarket clutch fitted will the dealer/Honda still give their 12 month warranty on the gearbox work or will the aftermarket clutch waiver the 12 month warranty.

If they give you their 12 month warranty then surely that goes against everything they said on the original refusal,

OR

If the clutch kit does waiver their 12 month warranty and let's say the fault returns within a few months surely this then points towards a fault in their gearboxes and they can no longer use that nonsense driver error excuse

Sorry for sounding a bit dumb :)

The dealer is going to repair the gearbox and fit your aftermarket clutch kit at your cost,
So with the aftermarket clutch fitted will the dealer/Honda still give their 12 month warranty on the gearbox work or will the aftermarket clutch waiver the 12 month warranty.

If they give you their 12 month warranty then surely that goes against everything they said on the original refusal,

OR

If the clutch kit does waiver their 12 month warranty and let's say the fault returns within a few months surely this then points towards a fault in their gearboxes and they can no longer use that nonsense driver error excuse
No dealer will give warranty on warranty repairs. If the box repairs are done under Honda warranty, it will still end after year 3. Even if the box repairs were done one month before expiry, the repair would only have to last a month!

However, if you're paying for the repair it will have a 12 month parts and labour warranty which is what they'll try and wriggle out of due to aftermarket parts presumably.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

No dealer will give warranty on warranty repairs. If the box repairs are done under Honda warranty, it will still end after year 3. Even if the box repairs were done one month before expiry, the repair would only have to last a month!

However, if you're paying for the repair it will have a 12 month parts and labour warranty which is what they'll try and wriggle out of due to aftermarket parts presumably.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking,
If they do warrant the work for 12 months with an aftermarket clutch then why not warrant the original claim instead of blaming a cat back and panel filter.

Be interesting either way, warranty or how long these parts last

good point dweezle. i'm on the understanding when verbally told (i havent seen the written smallprint yet) that the workmanship is covered but parts failure and consequential damage wont be which i'm completely fine with - it's something i'd have to take up with Xtreme if that ever happened.

i was also on the impression there was a 'which ever is longer' clause with warranty work. you either get the full 3 year cover from new, or in the case of a warranty repair 2 weeks before it ends you'd get 3-6 months rather than a full 12months you'd get if you were paying the bill yourself.

Slightly off topic from the current gearbox discussion but is anyone running aftermarket wheels and what ET’s? I keep finding myself looking at some WORK Kimwami but in our 5x120 and 19” sizing they only provide up to ET.42 I wanted to keep to standard specs but if they don’t provide our required ET I don’t want to run spacers or delve too deep in to options for altering so they’ll fit at the expense of potential impact on performance, not that I track it or really require the full capabilities of the car, cheers to anyone that can enlighten me, never been able to get my head round suspension and wheel set ups impact on performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i run 18x8 ET42's on 225/40r18 without issue for winter setup. i think you could just about scrape an ET37 without protruding from the arches and the only thing i'd be looking into more is how much travel the rear end gets on compression; there's potential for contact with the wing.

Cheers bud, I’ll have to do some digging around and see what I can find, pretty sure they’re the wheels for me it’s just if the damn things fit!

early xmas present...
jSRPiw9.jpg

Wednesday/Thursday is expected to get the car back

edit: forgot the most important detail:
7.8kg flywheel
6.4kg clutch

Last edited by a moderator:
car done! assuming work doesn't throw something at me overnight, i'll be collecting it first thing tomorrow.

Slightly off topic from the current gearbox discussion but is anyone running aftermarket wheels and what ET’s? I keep finding myself looking at some WORK Kimwami but in our 5x120 and 19” sizing they only provide up to ET.42 I wanted to keep to standard specs but if they don’t provide our required ET I don’t want to run spacers or delve too deep in to options for altering so they’ll fit at the expense of potential impact on performance, not that I track it or really require the full capabilities of the car, cheers to anyone that can enlighten me, never been able to get my head round suspension and wheel set ups impact on performance

found a guy on farcebook in the 'Honda Civic Type R - FK2 Owners and Fans' group - jason willis runing enkei RPF1s on 8.5x19ET35. his pictures rang a bell with Tegiwas FK2 running RPF1's iirc too. no idea if they rub.

Back