• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic Type R - FN2 or EP3 ?

Civic Type R - FN2 or EP3 ? So which did you choose and why?

For me, the main question that has to be addressed is which Type R to go for - the EP3 or FN2? I'm open to both models as a possibility, so what are the pros and cons of each? And has anyone owned both?

I've driven an EP3 (a while back) and really enjoyed the experience, but I've not driven the FN2 as yet. Any thoughts and observations welcome. :)

Owned an Ep3 a few years ago, just collected my 09 FN2 last. Week. Here is what I think (24 year old's perspective).

EP3 is more of a raw racer- pretty spartan cabin, lighter weight an almost non-existent equipment list besides the FN2, in my mind it is more of a driver's car.
FN2- similar screaming N/A personality but with the edge taken off. It's still a very firm ride but it's more civil, more grown up. Loaded with toys (at least in GT spec), looks far more up to date inside and out.

Is the drive as exciting? No, certainly not. It doesn't feel quite as 'sharp' as the older car but you can argue it is the more composed.

Many people slate the FN2 as being a soft Type R- but I would argue that Honda have used that Type R engine and slick rifle-bolt gearchange and mated it to a package which although is less hardcore, is far far nicer to live with everyday.

Cruise control on the daily commute to work is awesome lol.

I've not driven either, (not allowed to test drive one at a dealer cause i'm not 25.. FOAD!) but i've ummed and arrghed about which to get for what seems like years, i'll be sure about an EP3 and then i'll see a progress thread for a FN2 (Loxy;)) and then i'll change my mind again but I always end up going back to the EP3. Something about it keeps pulling me back, probably the progress threads and youtube videos.

I will likely try both when i'm looking to buy, sooner rather than later! but i'm 99% certain it'll be a cosmic prem EP3. (not 100% though ;))

They seem more raw, not as many toys as the FN2 and from what i've read, a better car out of the box.

On the other hand the FN2 draws me in with its styling and all it's toys! haha.

Don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest, but if you're anything like me it's a tough decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
You weren't allowed to test one at your dealer? I went straight into my local dealer and test drove a FN2 (and facelift EP3) at 21 but then I did have my Accord Type R at the time, which they were servicing.

I've owned both. Vesuvio's comments are pretty much on the money.

I've spent thousands getting the best of both in my FN2 plus a bit more besides.

Granted you don't have to spend as much, get the FRSU done along with some Eibach springs and it starts to feel much more chuckable.

I did find the steering feel to be much better in the FN2 over the EP3 though.

Nope, said I have to be 25, despite the 4 years exp and 4 years NCB. The dealer offered to take me for a spin, but I didn't bother. Had a VX dealer take me out in a VXR, while it was fun, it's not quite the same as driving it yourself.

Nope, said I have to be 25, despite the 4 years exp and 4 years NCB. The dealer offered to take me for a spin, but I didn't bother. Had a VX dealer take me out in a VXR, while it was fun, it's not quite the same as driving it yourself.

Very interesting.

I think turning up in a performance car must really help then. I also turned up to a Subaru dealer again aged 21 (a few years back now) and they let me take out a 260bhp WRX out for a proper countryside thrash with the salesman, me driving.

Again I turned up in my ATR and they immediately took me seriously.

Test driven various quick cars from different dealers and have never been refused, I'm still under 25, and even in a few cases i have test driven hot hatches aged under 21.

It's annoying, I haven't exactly got a slow car currently (Astra G SRi), but even when I ring up to arrange a drive they don't allow it. Might try a different dealer. I really want to see for myself what they are like before buying without ****ing a private seller off.

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP! :)

Thanks for the input guys. Very much appreciated indeed. :) Interesting observations on both EP3 and FN2. My heart says EP3 as I still like the distinct shape, but I really like the FN2 interior too as its a million miles away from what I'm used to, and the exterior styling is great too. The car will be used as a second vehicle. An indulgence in some ways as I work from home, so a commuter vehicle or motorway cruiser is not a necessity. I'm after a solid well made / engineered, safe (will be used for the school run on occasion), reliable and most of all a fun to drive vehicle.

At Loxy - What does the FRSU acronym refer to? Can't a find a reference to it in the FAQ guide, unless I'm missing something obvious - apologies if so.

So... I'll be stepping out of a VW and into a Honda. What am I going to experience in terms of reliability and build quality in comparison? Any of you migrated from other (similar) marques and if so what and why? Would you go back after being Honda'd !

FRSU - fast road set up. Basically allowing the car to handle as it should by fitting and adjusting camber bolts and arms. You can also have it lowered at the same time. TDi north get a lot of love on here.

HTH

Vesuvio's comments are pretty much spot on. My EP3 is very sparse. CD player, aircon and lots of cup holders. About 5 I think. The cabin is nice but very basic but not in a nasty way, it just lacks all the toys and gadgets and what it does have is subtle and functional rather than flashy and styled. Its also not noisy which surprised me. I tend to drive with the window open just to hear some engine noise most of the time. Its a drivers car for sure and has very precise steering. Its also very grippy and loves roundabouts and twisty roads. It can also be driven softly around town or on longer journeys with no problem. We do the school run in it with no problem as well as a 200 mile round trip each month with no problems at all.

I also have an 03 Subaru Impreza WRX and Lotus Elise S1 so have a good selection of cars to compare against. Its not like either though. The car that the EP3 replaced was a Clio 172 and its more like that to be honest. Lightweight, chuckable, tons of front end grip but more solid and comfortable. Its less urgent than the Clio but the EP3 is more rounded and complete.

One thing I would say is that the EP3 is looking a little dated these days especially the back end. Not a problem as such but something to consider if you are planning on keeping the car for a while.

FRSU is a Fast Road Set Up, basically setting up the geometry of the wheels to make it handle much much better. Personally this would be the first mod I would do.

In terms of EP3 and FN2, which is the better all round car? The FN2, everytime, but it all depends on what you want from the car.

Are you the kind of person who takes a coat with you on a night out, just incase it rains? If so, the FN2 is your car. Its great to drive, quick and has lots of gadgets.

If your the kind of person who doesn't take a coat out on a night out, even in winter, buy the EP3, for me its more of a hard drivers car. Its more aggressive than the FN2, makes you feel like your on the edge more often when driven hard.

When I buy a new car, and Ive got a choice between a few, I always think to myself, which would I most enjoy driving over Snakes Pass, A twisty, bumpy, up and down road, and for me its the EP3 everytime, it suits my kamikaze style of driving.

Are you the kind of person who takes a coat with you on a night out, just incase it rains? If so, the FN2 is your car. Its great to drive, quick and has lots of gadgets.

If your the kind of person who doesn't take a coat out on a night out, even in winter, buy the EP3, for me its more of a hard drivers car. Its more aggressive than the FN2, makes you feel like your on the edge more often when driven hard.

HAHAHA I love that and makes so much sense to me. I never take a coat out with me :)

I turned up to my local honda garage with my old man when he was thinking of buying a civic (basic model) and I was talking to the guy about the type R's, I asked if I could have a look,at one and he said not at the minute but come back tomorrow and you can take it out! I was 22 at the time and and went back a week later and put my deposit down :), not looked back since!

Again, thanks for the comments and confirmation as to what FRSU means. In terms of which car, I think that will change on daily basis and i'll just have to decide after driving both back to back !

In terms of reliability, are Honda's in general (and specifically the Type R) pretty solid, say when compared to the equivalent Golf GTi ?

In terms of reliability, are Honda's in general (and specifically the Type R) pretty solid, say when compared to the equivalent Golf GTi ?

Reliability should be up there with the Golf. Interior quality will be good on the civic but the materials are not quite as high quality as the German car's- having spent a lot of time in both the VW's cabin had better feeling materials and there is better isolating from wind and road noise.

On a bumpy surface I do get the odd small rattle from my FN2's cabin, never happened in the Golf GTi I drove.

Reliability should be about even, quality of build I'd be inclined to give the nod to the VW from my experience.

Vesuvio - That makes very interesting reading as I expected the Honda to have a greater, higher level of reliability than the VW, especially given their recent placing (sixth IIRC) in the JD Power survey - compared to VW's woeful 25th placing !

Was the Golf GTi you spent time in a MK V or a MK VI. Just that the interior quality seemed a big leap from MK V to MK VI?

Of both the FN2 and EP3 - which do the experienced Honda owners consider to have the better build quality ?

Mk 5 GTI , had that for a few weeks. Honda reliability is good but the Golf has a slightly more premium feel in my opinion.

My FN2 needed a new master cylinder at 20k miles, it seems to me the Swindon built cars are not quite as bullet-proof as their Japanese counterparts. Still good though, don't get me wrong.

But if premium build quality is what you're after the Golf GTi has the edge in my opinion.

Honda is more fun though :)

Fun is really what I'm after - I only do a few miles per day so I want to enjoy them !

Interesting stuff. My mate has owned a 2005 MKV GTi from new and he loves it to bits, despite the odd niggle here and there. He did drive there EP3 at the time but preferred the all round capabilities of the Golf, rather than the urgent feel of Type R.

The only VW / Honda back to back comparison I've undertaken was driving our Passat 2006 TDi and then a new Honda Tourer TDi with 10K miles on the clock. Cars are the same generation, in that they were the current model at the time. Similar findings in that the build quality was on a par, but the VW still has slightly plusher plastics in the cabin, Honda slightly harder etc. But, here's the big thing for me, when I got back in the Passat and drove it, the VW felt almost agricultural in comparison. This REALLY surprised me I must say, as the Accord felt much more precise, handled better, the engine was much more refined and gear change was superbly crisp. The Honda had fewer rattles too !

Seems I'm just going to have to do a lot of test driving - sigh
:D

Back