• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to fit an RBC intake to an EP3

hello im new to the forum, iv been a member of the forum for some months but never realy been an active member.
i am in the middle of getting my ep3 ready for its k100 and map, i am hoping for the magic 250bhp mark, and the time came to fit my rbc but there was no good guides for ep3. anyway i went ahead today and fitted my rbc in this lovely english weather :-D, and i decided to take some pics and make a guide for other to use in future.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING LOL

WHAT YOU WILL NEED IS :-
1.the rbc intake
2.throttle body adaptor
3.thermal or honda gasket between the rbc and the head
4.rbc gasket for between the rbc and and adaptor (honda part code is 16176-rbc-004)
5.thermal or honda gasket between the adaptor and the throttle body
6.rbc rubber tube or any rubber tube around 6mm

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED :-
1. good socket set with extentions
2. some spanners
3. car jack
4. few screw drivers and general tools you find in the shed, pilers etc

LETS START:

some people might do this in a diffrent order but this is the way i did it

THIS IS WHAT WE ARE FITTING :-
IMG_1612.jpg

1.first put the adaptor on the rbc using the rbc gasket

NOW TO THE CAR :-

remove the earthing connection from the battery, just to be safe.

start by taking the induction hose off the throttle body
IMG_1620.jpg

now take the connections off the injectors and move the injector loom out the way, once that is out the way undo the 2 bolts that hold the fuel rail on and remove the fuel rail with the injectors attached they are quite stubbon so give it a good pull. plug the injector hole to stop dirt falling in.
IMG_1622.jpg

now to the throttle body itself, unplug all the sensors including the one on the bottom and pull the water feed to the throttle body off and plug the pipes so no anti freeze leaks out.

now remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding the throttle body to the intake manifold and move the throttle body to one side well out the way.
IMG_1623.jpg

NOW REMOVAL OF THE STANDERED INTAKE MANIFOLD:-

loosen the the 2 nuts in the middle of the intake so that they are half off then using the 2 nut method remove the studs from the head.
IMG_1626.jpg

now remove the other 5 bolts holding the intake on 2 on the top and 3 on the bottom, you will need extentions on the socket to get the bottom left one, you should be able to get a small ratchet on the bottom middle one and do it from the top if not try from underneath the intake.

bottom left bolt....
IMG_1645.jpg

now for the hard bit there are 2 intake supports that hold the intake in place one on the right hand side of intake
IMG_1624.jpg

and one in the middle

IMG_1627.jpg

remove the bolt from the right hand one one.

now for the middle support, you can get to the bolt from the under the intake but its fiddle much easyer to get from under the car.

jack the car up and put on a axel stand.

now from under the car you will see the support
IMG_1628.jpg

remove the bolt from the middle support.

now all the bolts holding the intake should be removed and it should be free.

remove the rubber pipe from the left hand side of the intake
IMG_1625.jpg

now remove the intake, and plug the intake ports to stop dirt
IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

clean the surface of the head ready for the new gasket and rbc so no air leaks.

NOW TIME TO CUT THE SLAM PANEL:-

using a dremal or grinder or hack saw any cutting tool realy cut the slam panel so the rbc can fit in the engine bay. use my pic to roughly see where you have to cut.
IMG_1632.jpg

now with a few taps with a hammer to the slam panel :-D the rbc should fit in the bay [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] this part is pretty hard and tricky to get to fit but you should get there in the end.

pic of my butched slam panel near the bonnet catch.
IMG_1639.jpg

FITTING THE RBC AND THERMAL GASKET:-

now put the thermal gasket into place on the head after you *** cleaned all dirt from around the ports and any old gasket

now put the rbc into place and screw in all the bolts and studs. i put the 2 studs in first as this helps line the gasket up for all the other bolts, use the 2 nut method to put the studs into the head as used to remove them.
IMG_1633.jpg

now put the fuel rail back onto the rbc with the injectors and screw down with the 2 bolts, reconnect the injector earth lead to the rbc with a bolt and connect the rubber rbc tube as you can see in the pic runs from the intake to the water outlet thing (duno the name or the items use)
IMG_1634.jpg

pic of earth lead. on old intake mani it is a stud and a nut but on the rbc i just used a bolt much easyer.
IMG_1646.jpg

now connect the injector wiring loom and plug the plugs back onto the injectors and clip it down so the loom is out the way of the throttle body ready to fit the body onto the rbc adaptor.

FITTING THE THROTTLE BODY TO THE RBC/ADAPTOR :-

remove any old gasket from the throttle body unit this may take some time, i resulted to fine sanding on the gasket because it was so stubbon.

now get the thermal or honda gasket for between the adaptor and the throttel body.

plug the bottom conection into the throttle body as it is hard to after the throttle body is in place the connection is to the idel control valve and has a rubber housing over the plug.

now put the throttle body onto the adaptor using the gasket and tighten the bolts up.

plug all the connections into the throttel body/vac pipes

now time to put the water feed to the throttle body back on. one of the pipes is to short so you may need to use the old pipe from the old intake that runs from the old prb intake to the water thingy :?: [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] it should fit nicely secure the water feed pipes.

pic of the water feed with the old rubber tube from the old intake mani :mrgreen:
IMG_1644.jpg

now put the intake hose back onto the tegiwa m in my case
IMG_1635.jpg

connect the brake booster pipe back up

reconnect the vac pipe on the left
IMG_1625.jpg

reconnect the battery earth lead.

congratulations you should now have a rbc fitted to your civic type r ep3
IMG_1636.jpg

Excellent and thanks for the fitting guide. One question I have is why did you cut the slam panel? If you buy them from Eightspeed they are already modified or does the slam panel still need cutting regardless?

Let us know how you get on with the K100 and map and what power you get after.

Great guide thanks! Just a quick question though - what is it about the RBC that gives the power gain? Are the runners bigger, smoother, straighter or what?

Excellent and thanks for the fitting guide. One question I have is why did you cut the slam panel? If you buy them from Eightspeed they are already modified or does the slam panel still need cutting regardless?

Let us know how you get on with the K100 and map and what power you get after.

the rbc itself out the box will not fit a ep3 you have to cut a bit off the manifold itself on the right hand side to allow it to fit onto the engine, this is the bit eightspeed do for you, i think. you will still need to cut the slam panel to get it to fit onto the engine without it hitting the slam panel.

yeah i will let you guys know what power it makes, im fitting a tegiwa 4-2-1 exhaust manifold tomorrow, then im booked in at tdi north for a k100 and map on the 17th sept

Great guide thanks! Just a quick question though - what is it about the RBC that gives the power gain? Are the runners bigger, smoother, straighter or what?

not to shure, maybe someone else could tell you, but looking at the old prb manifold compred to the rbc the runners do look longer and alot straighter than prb

Good write up mate, came in very useful to me today fitting my RRC to EP3. Pretty much identical other than having to chop a bit off the RRC.

cheers!!

Quick one, did you find the studs for the adaptor plate are too long? Test fit mine as need another gasket (only got one didn't realise I needed one for adaptor plate to mani and one for TB to adaptor plate) and reckon I'm gonna need to use some washers to nip it up.

And another - I've bypassed the water feed through the TB, it's only used to help warm it up but then it's passing warm water through the TB - did it on my DC5 years ago.

and also moved the earth point to the bolt into rocker cover.

So I've done this to my EP3 and this guide came in very useful, however I thought I'd give a couple of useful pointers for anyone else attempting to do it. :) Especially if you buy the bits from Tegiwa!
This is also the number one hit on Google if you're looking for an RBC to EP3 guide so this seemed the best place to put this.

My car is off to get remapped next weekend so I don't know what my power figures are yet.

I know a lot of folks buy their kit from Tegiwa, so if you decide to buy from them, this is what you'll need.

RBC (Duh!)
Gasket and Pipe Kit
Throttle Body Adaptor
Throttle Body Gasket
Inlet Gasket (Use whatever you want though)

Here is how mine ended up:
2015-05-15%2020.13.59_zpsfqt3yxb9.jpg

Hole highlighted in pink - You need to plug this hole. I jammed a piece of rubber in there. I didn't see it mentioned in the original guide! :lol:

Hose highlighted in green - This is the hose Tegiwa sell and the one the guide tells you to replace. The one Tegiwa sell doesn't quite fit as the end is too big and a jubilee clip won't fix your problem. Either find another one like the original guide suggests or plug the large end with a slightly small piece of hosing. If you look closely, you can see I did the latter and it's perfectly secure :)

Hose highlighted in cyan - The original hose is not quite long enough and personally I tore a small hole in mine during fitting.
The old hose you took off to replace with the one highlighted in green fits nicely though if you cut it a little!

The Tegiwa adapter plate - My throttle body didn't quite line up. With some force and twisting... it lined up

Im trying to fit a skunk2 throttle body along with mine but it wont tighten up to the tegiwa adapter plate with the gasket in, theres at least a 5mm gap all the way around.
Anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?
Im thinking ill have to use like 3 gaskets or try to find some washers

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Is it the bolts being too long and bottoming out in the threads? If so, either cut the bolts down or pack them out with washers below the bolt head?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yep the bolts are to long or the adapter isnt deep enough. Packing the bolt heads with washers was my first thought but i might struggle to find ones that fit because the heads go down into the throttle body so will need to be exactly the same diameter

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have a vague memory of cutting some bolts down. If you do, put a nut on the bolt up to the head before you hack saw it off, the nut will clean up the threads when you take it off.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back