• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Couple of remote fob and key questions...

Apologies, noob to EP3's, is the standard key chipped? If so, why have to press a button on fob to turn immobiliser off? I've only got one key and one fob, so was wondering if I could get away with getting a key cut (my local key place will do a chipped key for £60 ish) and do away with the remote as its buttons are very worn. I know I can get a refurb kit, but could do with a spare fob if poss. It's the 2 button type that comes as standard on my 2001 EP3.

The button doesn't turn the immobilser off. It unlocks the doors and unsets the alarm.

When yet get in the car and turn the key the immobiliser light comes on and goes out pretty much straight away.

Green key under the battery lamp.

1008697951.JPG

I have always wondered if the FN2 key has the same sort of chip in it like the EP3 so you can have the key and fob in one complete key.

Mine doesn't, I have to press button on fob to turn light off on dash. Think this is because I can't lock the car with the fob at the minute due to the alarm going crazy everytime I do so once I unlock it with the key I need to press button to turn immobiliser off.

Actually, when I put key in, green key comes on then goes off as it should. However, red light on dash blinks until I press button on fob. Pic of very worn fob, need a new one:

664745_240877992706628_528601144_o.jpg

Just received email back from Hamilton & Palmer, not bad prices at all:

Hi Stephen

The handset refurb kits are available at following costs:

Handset refurb kit - £12.50 + vat = £15.00 each including p&p

There are 2 sizes of handset - large handset has LED on front with 3 screws in back - small handset has NO LED and 1 screw in back.

New handset cost £45.00 + vat = £54.00 each

Payment by cheque or debit/credit card over the phone.

Regards

Margaret Heather
Accounts Administrator
Hamilton & Palmer Installations Ltd
F1 Chaucer Business Park
Watery Lane
Kemsing
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN15 6PL

So I assume with the new fob, it'll be a case of following the standard reprogramming procedure in the manual?

Wondering if it's possible to have the alarm programmed out of the system somehow? I'll get an aftermarket Clifford one.

Yes you can take the alarm out of the system. I would want to try myself but it should be a doddle for an auto-electrician.

The flashing red light is the alarm armed light.

With the red led lit the car won't turn over so must be to do with immobiliser. So once I put key in, press right button on fob, light goes out and I can start it.

Ah fair dues. Maybe it's been fettled with in the past? Immobiliser is on the key, sounds like there is another system inline with the alarm.

Hi - we have just bought an 04 plate facelift ep3 CTR - it only has one key and one (worn) remote fob but works fine. However, we are trying to get a second key & fob (but want to avoid going to Honda for the supply of these) & then go to Honda solely for the programming side of things if need be - I have done a little research and it seems that if I buy an uncut Honda key (from ebay or similar), get it cut to match the original key and get a second hand fob (with the transmitter stuff in), Honda will programme it for far less than if I go to them for the whole lot. However, I have a few questions though as I don't fully understand!1. Do the part numbers need to match on the original and the second hand fob/transmitter? If so, how do I find the part number as my original key/fob (pictured below) does not show any markings/number externally on the key/case2. Do the keys have something built into them (chip or transponder??) or are they just plain keys? I know the fob has internal stuff in but not sure about the keys?3. The only number I can find is a key number printed on the original new car sales invoice - is that anything to do with it?4. Other keys I have seen have numbers such as G8D-452H-A 433.9MHZ , but how do i find similar details for mine?5. Is there anyone other than Honda that can programme the key/fob if I source them ?

I would appreciate any assistance! Unfortunately, I also have the sticker/label missing on the reverse of the fob, so don't know part number etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update, managed to find used remote fob on ebay - took a chance with it as I had not checked the part number on the inner circuit board! Part number was slightly different (as I subsequently checked both the original remote fob and the ebay one) but after it reprogramming it, they both worked - right result - now just need to get a transponder key cut - and if nobody else can code the key to the vehicle I will let Honda do that as I understand that part of it is far cheaper than the whole key/fob job!

If anyone knows where I can buy a transponder key - cut to match mine or blank - (and preferably someone who can code the key to the vehicle) please let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There Doobs, how did you get on with this? im trying to do the same and only have 1 key and fob

thanks

Back