• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stock Internals Limit of the K20

Hi Guys

Currently having a conversation with someone at work who is trying to assure me that 500bhp is entirely possible on stock internals on a k20

can someone with a bit of knowledge please give me a run down on what a stock engine can handle power wise?

Thanks

Afternoon.

My good colleague informs me too that 500bhp is the limit of the K20 engine.

Coincidentally he is our mutual colleague so this post is of little, if any, use at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im running about 460bhp on completely stock internals, but I wont go any higher until I at least get uprated valve springs. Its not Bhp that makes your engine go pop, its torque, 300ftlb is about the limit.

Saying this though I have seen 3 500bhp+ k20's on stock motors, one was puffing out a lovely blue smoke and the other didn't sound very nice, the third is Ben's EG at TDi North.

strange, i saw a TDI video on youtube about a dc5 mentioning that 400bhp was about the limit on stock internals.

what would be the suggested items to uprate when running this sort of power tom83?

Rods and the head (valves, springs etc) are the weak links IIRC. Best to ask a tuner I think, Paul at TDI North would have a very good idea.

It's not the bhp that kills engines, it's torque. The DC5 may only have had 400bhp, but I bet it running close to 300ftlb as this is considered to be the limit.

A K20 is more than capable of 500bhp with just Valve Springs and Retainers upgraded, but I wouldn't push for much more without a full forged motor rebuild.

Isn't it how the torque is delivered as well, so if it's in a big lump like a turbo application then it hurts more then say a supercharged setup that has progressive build up of boost. As with everything, mapping is a key factor.

Pretty much Chris, but running too much torque will put a hole in the motor. I've only ever seen 1 SC K20 running that kind of power and that was Dougies Rotrex Drag EP3, and I'm sure he had a fully forged motor.

Back