• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 tyre advice needed

I'm getting a set of 215/45/17 XL Conti Sport 5s fitted tonight to my Evo 8 Enkeis, let you know what they're like.

In terms of tyre pressures on the OEM sized tyres and wheels, I've run +2 psi just to give better initial steering response with only a minor drop in ride quality. Max I've ran is 35F/33R, which wasnt bad either. but did start to decrease the ride...

I should receive the Archeologist Badge :D

Sooo... I've got the OEM Enkei wheels (17", 7J) and now still running on winter tires - but spring is just around a corner.

I'm planning to go to track 1 or 2 times per month - bus still using them on daily basis.

Budget: ~100 pounds / corner
Size: 205/45 or 225/45 OR swapping to 16" rim (no BBK yet, stock 300mm brake disk)

Tyres I'm taking under consideration:
Federal 595RS-R
Yokohama AD08R
Toyo T1R
Bridgestone RE50A
Nankang NS-2R

WDYT?

Don't know about their track pedigree but Goodyear AS3s work beautifully on my FN2. Got them from Blackcircles for £90 each fitted.

I can recommend and highly vouch for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 if it falls within budget, it is a much better ROAD tire than the ones you listed when it comes to wet/damp conditions, ride quality and wear. It still has very good dry grip, not as much as a warmed up AD08 of course, but do you really push your car to it's limits on the street?

Don't know about their track pedigree but Goodyear AS3s work beautifully on my FN2. Got them from Blackcircles for £90 each fitted.

I have AS3's on the Stagea and they do the job nicely for what I need. We have a set of AS2's available for the track EP3, not as good as the Uniroyals in the wet, work as kind of an in between when the weather is changeable.

I am on the Pilot Sport 4 on my EP3. Excellent all rounder and more comfortable than the AD08R for sure.

If you plan on tracking yours, the AD08R will get my pick, if not PS4.

215 45 17 AD08R Seems to fit very well without the stretched from the 205.

I'm a racer, AD08 for Track and Street. Just Track and the fastest street legal tyre is A050. For FWD put M up front with GS out the back = full grip within 80m but A050' are the most expensive tyre. Winning for me = A050 on all three of my cars. A050 - bolt on 2.5 to 5 seconds a lap (no bull). I put em on my last car and went 2.8 seconds quicker (1000m) in my Proton Satria GTi. Mate of mine put em on his RX7 and found 5 seconds. Put A050 on my Alfa and won six Targa's and a heap of Hill Climbs (3rd Outright from 355 cars). How deep are your pockets and how much do you want to win. But - with all the extra grip you have to stiffen chassis and suspension. So if you don't want to spend a heap AD08 are the go. They are faster than any Road Tyre or similarly priced Semi period.

Last edited by a moderator:

They don't last. My mate completely delammed his front at Anglesey, good on the road however.

My vote is 100% AD08R, I use them on track and are fantastic, lasted 2 trackdays and nearly 15k.
NS-2R seem good up to now both wet and dry (about 75% of the total grip of AD08Rs) but they are rock solid and noisy as hell, not great to daily.
Got them dirt cheap so thought I'd try them, pay the extra for AD08, cheapest I found them was eBay from Demon Tweeks.

So... I got myself a set (chicken feed): 2 x Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002 & 2 x Kumho Ecsta XS KU36 - all in 215/45/17

Bridgestone or Kumho to front axle?

Test and try. See which ones Turn In better and which ones allow you to 'rotate' the chassis a little to the Apex. Then allow you to get on the gas sooner...... Test test test. Personally I don't mix up brands as often there is differences in Construction and Compounds but go with what you have for now.

Back