• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 tyre advice needed

Currently have Hankook Ventus V12 Evo which seem great in the dry. I am considering Uniroyal Rainsport 2 for my next set of tyres as I keep reading great reviews on them. Might consider Avon ZZ3's also.

V12's are rubbish. Had them on my last EP3. Changed them to the standard RE040 and immediately noticed much better grip and steering feel.

Buy sports car, put on rubbish tyres. Standard.

V12's are rubbish. Had them on my last EP3. Changed them to the standard RE040 and immediately noticed much better grip and steering feel.

Buy sports car, put on rubbish tyres. Standard.

Really wouldn't agree they are rubbish. I've got tons of grip in the dry but I will be trying something different next time just for the fun of it.

I think most squeeze the 215's on ep3 for that extra 10mm road contact but what are the effects of fitting with 40 profile?

215 over 205 wouldn't make hardly, if any, difference to grip levels on public roads IMO. I have a 215 and thats purely because they look a little better and give the rim a little extra protection should I get near a curb.

I think most squeeze the 215's on ep3 for that extra 10mm road contact but what are the effects of fitting with 40 profile?

Me and my cousin have EP3's and we both have FK452's, mine are 215/40/17 and his are 215/45/17. There is a minor extra bit of ride comfort in my cousins so will be switching to them next with the asymmetric 2's after the new year

Buy yourself some Yoko AD08's and DS2500 pads and then we'll talk.. All this extra 10mm road contact p*sh and suggesting the uniroyal rainsport is even worth mentioning on a type-r forum, i mean come on, a tyre for under £70 and you really believe its money well spent?
A crisp packet is cheaper, longer lasting and as effective as a condom but you wouldn't get any performance or enjoyment out of it! Get yourself some decent rubber!

Buy yourself some Yoko AD08's and DS2500 pads and then we'll talk.. All this extra 10mm road contact p*sh and suggesting the uniroyal rainsport is even worth mentioning on a type-r forum, i mean come on, a tyre for under £70 and you really believe its money well spent?
A crisp packet is cheaper, longer lasting and as effective as a condom but you wouldn't get any performance or enjoyment out of it! Get yourself some decent rubber!

£70 a tyre for rainsport 2's to fit standard ep3 wheels.. doubt that very much!

Ive got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, 215/40.... excellent tyre IMO, much better than Proxies I had on when I bought it. great wear, and really good grip dry & wet

plusthe tread looks cool :p

^ agreed with all points made by bowman appart from tyre wear... I get through these FAST.

All Ive based that on though is had to send one back to Goodyear due to a tear developed out of nowhere, and had 5mm left after 6 months use. I thought that seemed quite good tbh lol

Dont know if its thats good or not, but they seem to last longer than Proxies. Anything over 12 months is alright for me :lol:

how many miles you roughly get Hazz?

I was not talking about 215 for the extra 10mm of road contact, more that people are saying they are a little cheaper and there is no noticeable difference in performance. Not really interested in uniroyal rainsport TBH, especially at about £120 per corner! :lol: I can get way more for my money else where.

EP3 Tyre advise needed

Their prices for most tyres look pretty good. That's without fitting though right?

EP3 Tyre advise needed

My honest opinion about tyres is that they're the most important modification on a car and some will behave differently, you really have to try different brand of tyres for your car set up and driving style/technique . I've tried different tyres and for my daily sports driving I have to say for the price I love the Yokohama Parada Spec2 rubber and find these give me good grip in dry conditions and really surprised me in wet condition with a tiny bit of understeer when pushing it a bit hard.
Now for the track it's a totally different story and I would go with 888's or advan' s semi slick tyres.
I would not get a pure dry weather tyre for the road, they do give you excellent grip levels but you never know what's round the corner,the road could be wet even when not raining for whatever reasons,slippery sections of the racing lines on the road, gravel ect can unbalance the chassis big time so it's a balance between maximum grip or minimum grip when your faced with the worst condition you may encounter on public roads but leave each one to decide for themselves.

parada spec 2s are good in the dry. thats pretty much it. they are ok in the wet but not brilliant, i had them on my fiesta ST but i certainly wouldnt consider putting them on my CTR

for a road tyre, the best bet is probably the potenza RE050a. this tyre is OE fit for most hot hatches at the moment and performs well on an EP3.
its wet and try performance is very good and it is essentially a newer, better version of the re040 which is the OE fit tyre for the EP3

apart from looking at trackday rubber, which is very expensive and unnecessary for 90% of people, there is arguably a new contender imho

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. These are very hard wearing with incredible wet and dry grip characteristics [i have witnessed this first hand and it was gobsmacking]. my boss runs them on his 911 and has done a year of hard driving and several track days on them and they still have loads of life left in them. the only reason he is changing them soon is for a more track orientated tyre.

if i needed some new tyres, i would be looking at a full set of these.

put simply, and with no offense intended, if you put rubbish tyres on your type R, you are a prat. spend some money on high performance tyres from a solid brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back