• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 Throttle position sensor/ idle control valve question

Hi,
I recently purchased my first ep3 type r. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me. When I start the car from cold it revs at 1500rpm then rises to 2000rpm then slowly drops down to just under1000rpm. When I am driving the car it seems to be revving quite high for example in 4th gear doing 30mph its at just under 3000rpm. Is this normal? I didn't think it should idle that high so did abit of research and come across a lot of people suggesting cleaning out the iacv. So I thought I would give it ago. I stripped it down and cleaned it out but noticed when I was putting the iacv back together the holes on the electrical partwhere elongated and I couldn't remember exactly what position it was in. Does this matter? I then put it roughly where I thought it was and put it all back together. Unfortunatly it didnt cure the high idleing. On the way home when I was building up speed to get on the motorway as the vtec was just about to kick in in 3rd gear the engine light came on. When I plugged it into the scan tool it came up with a fault code for throttle position sensor. Is this because of the iacv?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

No, your TPS needs to be set up.

You need to get a multimeter and set it up so that the signal voltage is around 0.5v when throttle closed and about 4.5v when throttle fully open.

Using the elongated holes.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I did think about that but the bolts/screws holding it on look like anti tamper/ sheer of bolts. I will cut them out if need be. Thanks for the info I will have ago at setting it up the weekend.

Ok so I adjusted the tps today and got it to read 0.5v but when I opened the throttle full it read 5.0v. So I'm guessing I've got a short circuit somewhere or a dodgy sensor. Am i right? The fault code is p0123 throttle position high input.

Bump for an old thread, as I have exactly the same issue.

Mine reads 3.6v when open and It wont increase at all, assuming I need to replace the TPS?
No one round me has a Type R so I cant swap them over to check.

I replaced mine for peace of mind and when setting it up remember its extremely sensitive. The slightest turn changes the values a long way. When using the multi meter use two pins and insert them in to the plug on the correct wires that way you wont damage anything. Then i used crocodile clips to hold the multimeter prongs on to the pins. That way you can keep an eye on the values when adjusting and tightening the tps. And i removed those old snap off bolts and used two new bolts

hi
did adjusting the tps fix your issues, mines doing the same sort of thing. the idle starts at 1500 and rise to 2000 then back to normal after about a minute or 2 of driving. only done since i had the ecu remapped, thought it was somthing they adjusted as part of the part but the idle seems far to high for that.
cheers
darren

No, my problem was the Throttle body it's self had been machine wrong and where the TPS sits, the dowl was incorectly fotted.

global issue with the last batch of SK2 70mm TB

If it has 3 wires, one will have a permanent 5v, one will be an earth, so less than .3v and the other will be the signal wire.

It's that wire you want

One probe on the wire, one to an earth.

Back