• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Lift off oversteer

Hi all,
I think this weekend im going tyre shopping. I came off the motorway round a huge roundabout in the damp and was doing 45 ish, a car pulled out in front of me so i lifted off and the back swung miles out.

I have had it sideways on purpose a few times by lifting off and i thought it was pretty normal, my friend has an ep3 has never had his step out. I have autogrips on the back (came on it when i bought the car), would replacing them completely solve the oversteer do you reckon (i wouldnt mind a little bit) or are these cars just a bit lively in the wet?

Dan

Is your geo set up standard? It's possible for the rear to be adjusted to encourage a bit of tail action. Could have been done before you bought the car.

What's an auto grip?
Mine stepped out on me at silly speed when I first got it, and has done a couple times round wet roundabouts where I've been driving to the conditions.

My guess would be to change tyres.

Thanks for the replies, the tyre reviews is a good read. Auto grips are super cheap tyres but its what came on the car when I bought it. I think the geo is standard I had it 4 wheel alligned when I I bought it. I will get new tyres on the rear tomorrow and see how "lively" she is.

If they are cheapy, get rid ASAP. They'll do nothing but ruin the drive of the car. Check out the reviews on here and make your choice from there. I know lately a lot of people are loving the AD08's and I think I'll be going for them when It comes time for me to change.

I think they're just in short supply ATM.

Someone on here got a good price on DC5 ones from Camskill Darren, worth a look.

Tyres wont help if they are particularly rubbish compound, old, wornout or mismatched. If they are worn out anyway get them changed, then make sure tyre pressures are correct and see how the car handles. It could be something else so have a look at the condition of the suspension.

Adjustable camber arms, JDM rear ARB and professional geometry set up will help cure excessive lift off oversteer... All pointless without decent rubber though.

Adjustable camber arms, JDM rear ARB and professional geometry set up will help cure excessive lift off oversteer... All pointless without decent rubber though.

A stiffer rear ARB would more likely increase the issue. If its worse than other similar spec cars then its a problem to fix rather than tune.

Definitely ditch the Autogrip's, awful tyres. They were on mine when I purchased it and were the first thing I changed.

Wait you were in the wet..

Doing 45..

On a roundabout..

Wondered why back end stepped out..

I would say the problem was your approach to driving in the conditions.

Thanks for all the replies I will get the tyres replaced and see if it helps if not I'll start looking into suspension issues. Wasn't really a round about more of a huge corner coming off the motorway, my golf used to be fine.

New tyres and what a difference!!!! Now for the Fast road setup to see what other improvements can be made.

Back