• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How hard to retrofit this HONDA SAT NAV double din

I am planning to upgrade my standard radio in my EP3 to a double din unit.
I would also like to maintain the oem look of an original Honda unit so I want to upgrade to the following model

The sat nav is removed from a 2009 Honda Insight with the following part numbers
Part no: 39540-TM8-E010-M1
Ref no: BB729PO
Serial no: KBB21000898

How complicated is the process?
Apart from the additional navigation aerial is there anything else that I should take in consideration or needed for the upgrade?

Picture of the unit

Thanks Guys
Regards,
Fabiana

EP3 nav needs an optional extra loom to connect the power, there are additional plugs. That splices into the fusebox under the steering wheel. It also has a splice to the speedo signal wire and like you said the GPS antenna.

I'd probably say that it would be a complete nightmare to install that. Not impossible, but not something easy as a DIY job.

Would the original one be a better choice?
Somebody offered me a unit removed from an ep3 and comes with everything needed to install.
Would that be a straight plug and play?
Does the original unit fitted on EP3 have any good features?
MP3, bluetooth, or just sat nav and a larger screen :D

Thanks Loxy

The original is just sat nav and a bigger screen. In all honesty you'd be better getting a decent aftermarket double din.

Loxy you truly are the oracle of Type-R-dom. ;)

BTT that is a nice sat nav DD. would look great in the dash for an oem look, as i always screw my face up when plugging the separate tomtom in.

I do like the fitment of the original unit so I have bought one.
The seller told me that it comes with all the wiring I need to get it working.
I do need some advice on the wiring as I/m not sure about a couple of wires.
Can anyone shed some light please? :)

This is the unit that I have bought

This is the back of the unit with the plugs connected

I guess this wire connects to ground??

Where does this connect to?

What about this one?

Are these just plug and play in the fusebox?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Fa33y :)

Luckily, I have the instructions for that kit.

Cover.jpg

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

Page6.jpg

Page7.jpg

Page8.jpg

I'll dig the actual instructions out tonight. There aren't any written bits to it, but part 20 is where you splice onto the speedo signal. I'll agree though it isn't clear.

Thanks Loxy
ill wait for your instructions before i start taking everything apart.
i dont have a code either. Is it possible that it requires one?

I had that Sat Nav in my old EP3 from the factory many many moons ago.

The Sat Nav is good but the actual stereo is shocking.

It also offers no additional input for say an iPod or similar. It's possible to do it if you butcher the thing and even then you will loose the voice guidance on the Sat Nav for the sake of MP3 music.

Like I said, it's a good Sat Nav, but a poor stereo.

You can get an adaptor box if you don't have a changer fitted can't you?

No.

As the sound port for the Sat Nav plugs into that.

So where as on the OEM loom/car you have a spare for a CD changer, you lose that if you go for the sat Nav above.

I had the above sat nav with an OEM changer when I got my car. The head unit went pop, so now I've got a defunct changer in the boot. Definitely worked with the changer though.

I had the above sat nav with an OEM changer when I got my car. The head unit went pop, so now I've got a defunct changer in the boot. Definitely worked with the changer though.

Ah, interesting.

Did you have the audio from the Sat Nav also ??

When I had mine (2007) there was no possible way other than to butcher and retro fit some magic to get it working. And I wasn't doing that.

not interested in the ipod connection.I wanted an upgrade that keeps the oem theme.I know that you can find double din units that fit just as good however their user interface is shocking with silly animations on display.
If you guys had this unit retrofitted before can you have a look at the images posted in the first page and tell me what are the single wires for?
For example which colour wire goes to the back of the cluster to pick up the speed and which colour wire do i tap it into.

Mine was all fitted when I got it. It all looks to be factory fitted, and the changer and sat nav audio could be used at the same time.

Aye, so got the instructions out. Like a n00b, there are written instructions in the back. Thought I'd done well to fit it without. :lol:

IMAG1213.jpg

IMAG1214.jpg

IMAG1215.jpg

IMAG1219.jpg

IMAG1220.jpg

IMAG1221.jpg

:smt023

Thanks for instructions Loxy.
i have connected the white/blue wire to the green plug. I have added the wire in the 5th hole as it was empty. I didnt connect it to another wire
however the wire that goes to the fusebox, i have connected it to another wire from the big plug.
2 more connectors plugged in the fusebox
1 wire grounded

however it needs code :(

If you ring up Honda with the serial number from the top of the unit they should be able to tell it to you.

Did you not get it from the person you bought it off? If it came fitted to their car it will be on a card in their service folder.

Back