• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

54 plate clutch noise maybe?

Hello this is my first post since buying my ep3 2 months ago.

I bought a 54 plate facelift nighthawk pearl ctr and on the whole I love this car. I searched high and low for a reasonably priced , standard car and I eventually found one after many test drives in various piles of junk.

I researched the Car well before I drove any and im glad I did. Nearly all of them had the dreaded 2nd gear crunch, nearly all of them had a typhoon knN fitted and nearly all of them were 100k + milers, a few were rattling there boobs off on idle. I was so pleased when I came across my 69k unmolested facelift for a good price.

The car itself feels really quick, and even quicker after a good service, no rattles squeeks or unwelcome noises. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes I can hear a sort of droning whining oscillating noise which is I think coming from the right hand side of the engine. If I sort of hover my ear over the engine bay its most prominent just to the left bottom corner of the airbox area. After much research I would assume this is the clutch making this noise.

The noise does go away when I REST my foot on the clutch and take up the slack or free play. The noise ISNT always there and normally goes away once upto sustained temp. If I were to make an educated guess id say that this noise could be a damaged or warped clutch fork or fatigued clutch springs. I have a freind that has an exedy clutch in his Celica and his made the same sort of noise and it was the little springs in the clutch they were fatigued and not at the correct tension.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or have any alternative suggestion.

Btw the car pulls hard with no apparant clutch damage or slipping, it spins into second under hard acceleration so I think it must either be clutch fork or release bearing related. When searching forums I get a load of confused opinions people saying its the input bearing, but im only RESTING my foot on the pedal not actually pressing it.

For my limited knowledge everything is pointing towards the fork or release bearing. Thanks

Hello and welcome! ;) :lol:

I've moved your thread to the right section so it may generate more replies and I've put some paragraphs in your post as it was just a wall of text. :freak: :D

For what it is worth, I would have said release bearing. By resting your foot on the clutch you are putting pressure on the release bearing which could stop the noise.

If your changes are trouble free, then it is less likely to be the springs. I had a spring all but break free from the friction disc housing and it didn't make any noises, just felt like it wouldn't disengage and would crunch in any change over 2.5k rpm.

You'll only know for sure when the clutch is removed, and if you are changing the bearing you may as well change the clutch with it being on 69k.

Hello and welcome! ;) :lol:

I've moved your thread to the right section so it may generate more replies and I've put some paragraphs in your post as it was just a wall of text. :freak: :D

For what it is worth, I would have said release bearing. By resting your foot on the clutch you are putting pressure on the release bearing which could stop the noise.

If your changes are trouble free, then it is less likely to be the springs. I had a spring all but break free from the friction disc housing and it didn't make any noises, just felt like it wouldn't disengage and would crunch in any change over 2.5k rpm.

You'll only know for sure when the clutch is removed, and if you are changing the bearing you may as well change the clutch with it being on 69k.

thankyou for your response, and I apologise as im new to this forum ill try and keep things to the correct section. I had factored in changing the clutch at 70k anyway and your thoughts together with what I already know have probably confirmed its the release bearing/fork.
the car changes gear no problem so I think ill start by renewing the entire clutch and flywheel.

Can anyone recommend a metal caged release bearing that will fit instead of the plastic caged oem part?

Back