• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic Grey EP3 Honda Machine - Project minty mint OEM

Its looking great, OEM is always good and holds price! I love watching restoration projects making something good out of something neglected!keep it up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

Thinking of doing a bit you have done, replacing the bolts that are a bit unsightly so to speak :lol:

Where did you get all the part codes from or did you just go in and tell them which bolts you wanted?

Great thread Lewis I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through it, you have a very nice Cosmic on your hands! Do you have any more plans for it?

Hows that rallye of yours too? I used to be an big user of Saxp back when I had my VTS and adored your Indigo :twisted:

Thanks guys. Re; parts, just look on Longs Honda to find all the drawings and part numbers. Tricky but you get there after looking at it for a while. It's like a big airfix kit!

Not many updates to speak of lately, just been driving it. Bought a new 'H' badge for the back as the old one was a bit tatty.

Pics of this below:

Old one:

R0019271_zps3f7b00a0.jpg

New one:

R0019272_zps75b46bd5.jpg

Removing the old one (took a while to clean the old glue off):

This:

R0019274_zps10316a53.jpg

Then this:

R0019276_zps27816e94.jpg

Old and new next to each other (looked worse in real life!):

R0019273_zpsf0a8e2b6.jpg

New one fitted and looking good:

R0019278_zps261be57d.jpg

That's all for now. Will probably need new discs soon and trying to resist 'upgrading' so we will see.

Lewis

Thanks mate. Best colour :)

Ok, so I have done a few more bits of late. Was thinking of buying new seats as mine are a little worn in places, however, I decided not to bother as gave them a bit of a refurb by shaving the lose bits off and despite the wear they have come up excellently. Also bought a new 'H' badge for the front too. My old one wasn't too bad but it wasn't that new looking. Oh I cracked the old one taking it off it wasn't cracked before - doh!

Here are some pics of the work anyways:

Seats done:

R0019413_zps1681f473.jpg

R0019414_zps33bc1677.jpg

R0019416_zpsc952218c.jpg

R0019417_zps4235a144.jpg

New 'H' badge:

R0019470_zps5ee4500e.jpg

old one removed:

R0019473_zpsf5e1917d.jpg

R0019474_zps0ccccd89.jpg

Old and new:

R0019472_zps1138ca18.jpg

Cleaned:

R0019475_zps79c753bd.jpg

Done:

R0019476_zps16f4c5a6.jpg

R0019477_zpsf854c706.jpg

That's all for now.

A few small updates to report. I had to replace the rear discs recently as they were worn, so went with some Pagid OEM spec discs from ECP. They come with the anti-rust coating which is nice, and the areas that aren’t in contact with the pad remain corrosion free.

I also need new front discs and pads, and despite wanting to keep the car 100% OEM, because I have made a few upgrades in other places (eg: the tyres) I thought why not extend this to the brakes. The idea is to uprate parts that enhance the driving experience without detracting from the overall OEM appearance of the car. I also do not want it to look any different or ‘feel’ different, i.e. crashy and horrible if it’s lowered. It’s already firm and responsive which I really like. Anyway I digress. So for the front brakes I am getting some Stoptech’s, which is a big brake kit with two piece discs. I am getting them off a good mate, otherwise would have stuck with OEM. I do find that with spirited driving the stock system feels a bit like it’s being pushed too hard, so hopefully these will do the job. I have experienced good brakes like this in the past and it’s really worth the money. The tyres were a huge improvement over stock too. The car is very capable as standard, and despite owning it now for well over a year, I still really enjoy it every time I use it (most days). It just feels excellent to drive. Engaging and fun. It’s hugely practical too, I took it to Scotland two weeks ago for a few days on a holiday break and it transported 4 people in comfort. I let the wife drive it and sat in the back for a few hours. Surprisingly large in the back and comfortable. All these things just me realise how great these motors are.

Along with the brakes, I also need to replace the front roll centre adjusters (or ball joints as most will know them) and the rear trailing arm bushes too, as there is some play. Will probably get some hardrace one’s which will be a slight step up from OEM but not too hardcore.

I haven’t got the front brakes yet but will stick up some photo’s once they arrive.

Finally, another thing that’s been bugging me slightly was the ever-so-slightly sloppy gear change. After some research it transpired that this is due to wear on the plastic ball mechanism within the gearstick. It’s to be expected that this wears out, especially considering the car has over 100k on it, and I’m sure not all of the previous owners cherished it as much as I do!! So, I bought a brand new replacement mechanism from Honda. I had put this on the back burner for a while due to the high cost of replacing it, however, I thought I would address all the niggles and get the car 100% as I want it. I plan to keep it for a long while yet you see. I had thoughts of selling it to buy a Subaru, however, there were 2 issues with that. 1) The wife hates them, 2) they are expensive to run. The Honda ticks all the boxes really, and can deliver excellent performance and motoring enjoyment without burning a huge hole in your wallet, so with that in mind I decided to keep it and just ‘finish It off’ as it were.

Here are some pics of the gear mech. Will update thread with brakes photos and other bits once they arrive.

Cheers.

Lewis

77BBED34-7ED0-46AD-903B-EAF038945EF1_zpsxqozkp9u.jpg

FF2D33C4-FB4F-4C3C-A98A-536E551A26EC_zpscmbe6wup.jpg

Ok, so I got home tonight and set about fitting the new gearshifter assembly in the dark with the help of the interior light and a headtorch. I will start by saying do not start this job on a week night. It will seriously test your patience, you will scrape and slice your hands on the metal dash brackets/various other sharps under there. You will swear a lot and wonder how in gods name anyone can undo the cables from the plastic gear mech! :bad-words: However, I got it done in about an hour. Most of it's easy, it is just getting the cables out from the gear mech that proved to be a major ball buster.

I found a good guide online here, without which I would not have had a clue how some of the bits came out - props to whoever did this. It's for a buddyclub shifter, but the same fitting process applies to this:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63927-How-To-Install-Buddy-Club-Short-Shifter-(BCSS)

You will need:

(a) Big long f-off flathead screwdriver
(b) 13mm socket and ext bar
(c) Small 8mm ratcheting (or normal) spanner. I have a little snap on one that's proved it's worth loads already. Buy one.
(d) Small philips head screwdriver to undo the dash brackets

All the details of removal are explained in the link above, but I will reiterate that the cables come out of the base of the gear shifter by twisting the plastic retaining clips anti clockwise. It's very difficult to do this even with a screwdriver as they tend to spring back as they're under permanent tension. Lets just say I dropped a few 'C bombs' whilst doing it :D You need to take these out, undo the four retaining bolts, undo a few little retaining metal brackets, lift out the whole bit where the radio sits, then lift out the gear assembly. I had no-one to hold the radio/aircon part of the dash so had to scrabble about with the other hand for a piece of card/plastic packaging from the new one to rest the whole lot on so as not to damage the dash, then take out the old shifter assembly and slot in the new one and shuffle the cables about all with one hand, then re-fit the fascia with the radio and aircon set up. It is a bit of a f-on, but not too bad if you think logically and go carefully. All the wires are still connected you see. It's not as bad as it sounds, i would just recommend you have a few micro fibers to hand to protect various bits of the dash while you remove the fascias. Also a rag to wipe the grease off your hands as the cables are greasy and slippy. Makes it even more annoying when you have shredded paws, which are then slipping off everything you are trying to hold! :D

Here are a few (not great) photo's. As you can see I left the gator and gear surround plugged in and hanging down resting on an airbag from the packaging of the new GS (gearshifter). I have a shift light which is wired in there so it's an arse to unplug the connector. Most of you will be able to simply unplug the cigarette socket and remove this part entirely:

E0FD604A-0BF7-4F66-AF97-566BAE47A437_zpsvtansmg3.jpg

Then undo this part of the retaining bracket (there is one 8mm bolt on each side) - see small spanner in action!

You also remove the two small screws from the longer metal bracket seen in the photo below - you can see the hole above my hand where i'd already removed one. The part of the dash above simply pulls forward and outward to allow you to remove this metal bracket. It's also kind of pushed into the plastic with a retaining clip which you squeeze together to pull it out. Just be careful not to snap anything.

F6CE3FFD-787A-45A2-B845-20E1B4AD6A43_zpsarejwbda.jpg

78319FD6-3A47-43C7-A4C3-8A4631FB51CE_zpsripuqggv.jpg

I would say the worst part is removing the cables but i've already mentioned that above. The rest is straightforward it just requires patience.

Now onto the results. Is it worth doing - in short yes. The gearchange is way better and actually shorter too for some reason! I will say though that Honda dropped a bollock using plastic in a moving part that sees so much action. If someone were to design a slick rose jointed set up like you can get for the VW's it would be amazing. This design is pretty poo. It works ok, but is noway near as tight as the rose jointed set up on my Rallye. There is too much tolerance and sloppiness in the plastic parts. That's not to say I am not pleased with the results - I am. Just saying that there is a market here to design something really good. Dunno what the BC on is like, but it looks to be made of plastic too so I figured i'd save thirty pounds or so and just replace it with the OEM set up, which was 'only' 150 opposed to 180/190 for the BC contraption.

Overall I am pleased and the gearchange is a lot slicker than it was. It has also got rid of the sloppy side motion that I had previously on the old linkages. A lot of ball ache but I will enjoy driving her more now.

PS: I don't have a chopped off thumb, it just looks odd in that photo above due to the angle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good progress mate. That bl**dy plastic ball is definitely a weak point on these cars, which is a shame because the gearshift is one of the best features of the car. I fitted solid shifter bushes to mine a while back, another good pocket money upgrade. I didn't have as much trouble removing the cables though, I guess I just got lucky and stumbled upon the correct technique by accident! As it turns out I didn't need to remove them, just overenthusiasm.

I'm looking forward to seeing your brakes. I like your philosophy of minimal but highly effective modification, brakes are definitely something that will benefit the car. I thought for a while that my brakes were fubar, but it was just the standard calipers reaching their limits. Good tyres and pads really show that the oem system is already at it's upper limit.

Thanks dude. You must've been lucky to get the old cables out mine were an arse. If you could get to them by hand it would be easy it's just the fact you have to reach down with a screwdriver to do so. Got there eventually though!

Drove the car to work today the shifter is waaaaay better now I am pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back