• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

advice needed.

Hi everyone, im very close to buying an 08 civic type r gt this week. The car is stunning with 19" wheels, solid paint work and full service history, what can be the problem I hear you ask..... well its done 100k and although the service history is spot on im not clued up as to just how good these type r engines are when hitting figures like that, do you guys think it will have lost much power or are they solid units. I seriously want this car but dont want to end up with a lemon. Ive driven the car and it feels a solid motor. Any advice would be much appreciated. :D

The K20 is a solid engine, for piece of mind I would change the Timing Chain and Tensioner, but besides that the motors are bulletproof. Ive seen some coming up to 200k and still pulling good power.

Blimey! 08 plate with 100k already? :eek:

As per Tom, K20's are bulletproof and like what you said, the service history is spot on, so I wouldn't worry about the mileage.

Thanks guys, thats put my mind at rest a bit, looks like I will be a proud type r owner very soon then, so the k20 uses chain timing belt instead of the usual rubber/kevlar type?

Yes it's a chain. It's worthwhile changing the tensioner too while you are it it.

The only real things that go wrong with this engine is the chain stretching and jumping some teeth on the cam gear (replacing it around 100k stops that worry) and if you run them low on oil.

This is as cheap as you'll find it: http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-cam-chain-and-tensioner-civic-fn2-k20z-1543/ then it's just labour to fit it. Worth doing it with a service and changing the oil and oil filter.

Tegiwa are in the traders section too and do a discount code for members if you ask on the thread. ;)

Thanks loxy. Its just had full honda service should be good far as basic oil and filter ect but the chain and tensioner is the first thing I'm going to crack on with when I get the car, I don't fancy hondas prices for changing it so think I best start looking for a decent mechanic...

Hi mark just had my timing chain replaced on my ep3
At tdi north Warrington £600 and a full service £415
My chain was stretched at 62000 miles but these guys did a top job and gave the car a good look over
All good
Loxy recommended them and he wasn't wrong
Honda wanted around £800 but this varies from dealer to dealer don't know why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back