• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 DC2 Rust Advice

Hi guys - new to the forum, and looking for a wee bit of advice.

I'm sure there's all too many of you on here familiar with the dreaded sight of rust eating away the back end of your Honda! I've been looking at a DC2, and I've been sent over some pictures of the rust on the rear arches & sills. Obviously it's near impossible to gauge the full extent from these pics, but I was just wondering how they compare to others suffering in the same way?

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

The other thing I'm interested in is if anyone has experience of dealing with the rust, and what the best options are? Would your average bodyshop do a decent job and - most importantly - would it last? I'd be quite happy to spend a decent amount, so long as a good, lasting job was made.
Or has anyone gone that step further, and just started replacing arches, sills etc?

Any experience/tips you could share would be much appreciated! :smt023

Walk away, unless you budget £1000 to repair. The one I bought a few years ago looked pretty similar, but it cost me a fair chunk to get fixed as it was rotten underneath.

Walk away, unless you budget £1000 to repair. The one I bought a few years ago looked pretty similar, but it cost me a fair chunk to get fixed as it was rotten underneath.

Cheers for the reply. How far did your £1k get you roughly? You say rotten underneath, take it that included boot floor etc as well as the arches? And how well did the repairs last, was it starting to creep back in again after a while?

I had that sort of a figure in mind anyway, thinking if I'm able to get it down to the sort of price I'm happy with, it might be worth a shot.

Apologies for all the questions, but it's very helpful! :)

Hmm. Plenty to think about then. Just had the time for a quick look at your thread there, but it's a good read.

Thinking your advice is probably very wise! The car's a bit away from me so wouldn't really be able to take anyone like that to give it a look.

Still tempted to see if I can work it down to a decent price, but thinking more towards steering clear now.
Thanks again for your help!

If the bodyshop does a good job it shouldn't come back. But they need to be familiar with DC2's so they know how to treat it correctly so it doesn't happen again.

Generally you'd have to take the rear seats and trim out to see the extent of the damage.

Welcome Calum (from another Calum)

My advice is not dc2 related but from owning a '94 mr2 that began to rust. I will say it is worth finding one that is not rusting. It's impossible to really prevent it especially once it has started, unless you find fibreglass arches and such measures. Stripping and respraying is the only thing that will properly stop the rust.

look for one with no damage is my advice. Bear in mind it will probably rust sooner or later - just do everything you can to prevent it!

Mine had the same as your second photo, the bodyshop ground it back and found clean metal behind, they showed me the clean metal , although they did mention that it could have been possible if there wasn't clean metal they would have to do a couple of small spots of welding.
Also mine had the same as your third photo on mine it was ground back but needed cutting out and new metal plates welding in.

Until it's ground back you don't really know the extent of the rust. I paid nowhere near 1000 but it was "mates rates" I was happy with the work they did because they showed me what they were doing each day.

the lower quarters will also rust inside. If you are able to remove the interior this will give you a good indication to the extent of the rust. Then find a recommended bodyshop to get some quotes/work done

The problem is he doesn't own the car. if a buyer wanted to remove my interior I'd find the next buyer!!

I would be happy to take out the interior to show potential buyers if I was selling my car . If a owner doesn't wish to do this after you explaining why then I would move on, they can't be that much of a enthusiast!

Indeed. That's why I've decided to move on for now. Might fancy taking a bit of a gamble on one in future though!

Back