• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ted's track day EP3

I thought that was the case. I'm not seeing any green light. Need an immobilizer guru to tell me what's what.

I've bought a new loom now, so will swap that in this weekend and see if we have lift off!

I think you've cut a ground wire somewhere like you say, so hopefully the new loom should cure it. Be more patient with the new one! :lol:

I think so too. Pretty sure there's supposed to be a pretty cluttered eart point just in front of the ecu behind where the glovebox sits.....I kind of don't seem to have that anymore. Pretty sure that's not helping things!

I've only driven Castle Coombe in this car. However when I'm up and running again I'll be hitting up Brands and Cadwell. And looking at going to Spa next year.

Well the new loom proved that I had indeed cut up a bunch of earths and I now have solid dash lights instead of flickering dim ones.

however I've now lost the fuelling. So going to hardwire the pump in via a relay, give it a dedicated feed so that it can't complain. Hopefully once I've got that done she'll purr in to life again.

Looks grate , I'd be lost with the loom to be honest,
Can I ask how u get on useing the lightweight flywheel and do you have a standard clutch?
I'm ganna be needing a new clutch but not 100% what will be a good set up, I'm looking at a standard exceedy clutch and haven't a clue what flywheel to buy? the xtd kits are crap

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a brand new OEM clutch in, they're rated good enough for my requirements. And don't come with the premium of a 'upgraded' item.

What do you mean upgraded item?
You still have the lightened flywheel in it too?
Iv read that the standard clutch is good for 300bhp don't know how true that is .

I wouldn't class a branded item as an uograde just because it sounds like it's an upgrade. Some people assume that if you're buying an Exedy clutch for example would instantly be better than an OEM ONE. In some case yes they are but for basic power mods there's nothing wrong with the Honda item.

They are. Exedy clutch in a Honda box.

I do agree though Honda or Exedy OEM clutch is plenty for most people. It's torque that kills clutches quickly so unless you're running over 180 ftlb "upgraded" clutches are little more than piece of mind.

The clutch isn't the problem (other than it needs replacing), its trying to decide what flywheel to buy ??

You'll never be able to tell the difference in drive ability between two that have minor weight differences. However you do notice it between OEM and lightweight. I went with Fidanza purely as it was the best price.

Steel or ally?
I dont if to buy the lightest one I can find (3.65)or buy a steel or ally one,
there not alot to find on flywheels for these cars (reviews ect).
Would like to find out what other people experiences are with different makes,
basically avoid buying crap that could crack or cause damage

Well it's been a while since I've had any chance to actually work on the car.

In that time I've swapped out the dash harness for a new one. This proved a good moved, although the car still wouldn't start. Good in that the lights on the car are much stronger now. So I'm confident the earths are all good again. However my fuel pump stopped priming on ignition.

I thought it was the dreaded immobiliser coming into play however I was wrong. After prepping to hard wire a relay into the fuel pump it was found that the wiring was all fine. We popped the plug back onto the pump and turned on the ignition and the fuel pump came on strong! :eek:

So with everything looking good I went to turn the car over but still nothing, a quick bump later and it fired into life. Stupid starter motor (that I changed only last year) seams to be kaput again. So I'm going to swap that out soon as I can tidy up a few other jobs and jobs a goodun

Ultimately the loom swap fixed the issue however no idea what the fuel pump was whinging about until it was played with a little. I'm just happy that the car is no long a permanent trailer queen and can once again move on its own steam!:party:

It's been a fair while since I've actually updated this thread. In that time I've done a trackday at Bedford. Bedford is brilliant! Loads of differing corners to tackle and can carry speed through alot of the sections.

The way the car handled it was perfect. It was also the first opportunity I've had to actually push the Diff and the sexy built gearbox through their paces. The 5.84 FD is crazy but so usable, rarely needing to go into second ment I was just flying through 3rd-6th which in itself felt quicker.

The car lasted until lunch whereby it was found that I had a slow whistling puncture from my rear tyre. Which was a bit of a blow as I didn't take my spare wheels with me stupidly. Also my dreaded oil filter housing leak reappeared. So ultimately my day was over regardless of the puncture.

My todo list was getting quite small until that day so now I've got to strip down the housing and refresh everything that I can as the temp repairs I've been trying to do just haven't worked. I'll probably also order up some custom length oil cooler pipes as I haven't been overly happy with how they're routed and there's no slack in them which doesnt make me happy they're under tension.

My biggest 'problem' now though is that I am working in Canada for a year, which means no car time but it does mean cheap parts :) So i'm going to purchase a Skunk2 intake manifold and TB for pretty much half price. Happy days.

I got a bit cut happy with the bodywork around October time after looking at other Hondas albeit older generation ones and decided to shed a few pounds from the car and lose some of the 'parachuting' affect that body panels can give. Prob not to everyone's taste......but it's my car and I really don't care. (Excuse the nasty paint where the side skirts were, thats all sorted now and the front wings are spaced out on custom brackets. Just they were being sprayed in those pics so weren't fitted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back