• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ted's track day EP3

Thanks for the tip off for Pesch! Doors seem to come in for under £300 if my conversions are right! (Less shipping) sounds a steal! Can't understand a word that's written on there though :)

The lack of ABS took some getting used to, especially with my Wilwood front brake upgrade. But after a bit of testing and getting the bias valve set just right it's really good.

I do kind of miss the 'easiness' of ABS but for a balls against the wall driving experience then there is no contest. Forget just slamming on the anchors and letting ABS take over, you've got to really think about your speed, angles etc a lot more.

Im purely track based so for day to day driving on the road I wouldn't get rid of it. The Spoon racing EP3 runs ABS with the Spoon front calipers, there's not much information out there about it but they seem to rave about the ABS. To be honest I never found the ABS intrusive, I just wanted to shed the weight

I'm looking at getting doors and boot off them (not just yet though) - so could potentially see if they can combine shipping for us? Maybe even do a group buy.

Ditto I want to shave the weight and improve pedal feel. I tracked a 172 Cup (No ABS) and loved it. How much weight did you save?

I'd be interested in both of those probable (if the price was right).

i don't know really how much it saved, the unit was no more than 3-4kg and the lines altogether couldn't of been more than a kilo or so. Prob about 5kg all in. Every little helps though.

i weighed in the other day at 1114kg which is absolutely everything gone. I haven't got the hole saw out yet. And that's with a welded in 6 point and two buckets, plastic Windows, 16's etc. I was a bit disappointed as I'd hoped to be in the 1000 mark. But I guess a cage weighs around 45kg so not too bad. Ideally I want to be getting 1050 but I think that's unrealistic, even with the Fibre doors/bonnet/boot.

1114kg is interesting as there are a lot of people out there claiming much less with a fair bit left in. I'm prepping my car at the moment trying to save were I can. Not sure if I want Perspex windows as I might still use it n the road the odd time and heard they scratch easy

I thinks that's why I was disappointed in my figure of 1114kg. A lot of talk is said about the weights of things on the internet but not much actual evidence to back it up. But I used my own set of scales and that's what it came in at with around 1/2 a tank of fuel.

I will add also that my newly fitted Toyo R888 are a lot heavier than my Toyo R1R's. I haven't done a new measure of weight with the 888's yet but they are 100% heavier.

As for scratching plastic Windows. My car sits outdoors in the elements under a Halfords car cover for its entire life, last year year it came out of that cover once as I was working abroad and the plastic was fine. Nothing notable to mention blemish/scratch wise. Having said that there is some cracking around where the rivets have been done. I did initially not river and only use bond. But over time the bond cracks/dries out and the stickiness stops working and you find little gaps between the window and the frame. Hence the requirement to rivet/bolt in a few key places.

To to be honest for a road car I wouldn't bother with plastic Windows.

When I fitted my Toyo R888R's to Enkei RPF1's, the tyre was noticeably heavier than the rim and far heavier than your average road tyre.
As for a weight comparison. Before these wheels fitted, my car was bang on 1200kg. Half a tank of fuel and full interior. This was measured on corner weight scales.

1143kg really?????

mine weighs about 1040kg, ill be weigihng it again soon as since that the a/c and more deadning has been removed, im aiming for a Ton

1143kg really?????

mine weighs about 1040kg, ill be weigihng it again soon as since that the a/c and more deadning has been removed, im aiming for a Ton

How was yours measured at 1040?

My car is literally stripped to the bone bar hole cutting panels and plastic bonnet/boot/door. Doesn't have aircon or even ABS - doesn't even have a slam panel anymore :).

go in my thread i even got a pic of it on the scales what they weugh the porsches on lol, ive gone mental on the insides of the car, removed air con in bay thats all, 80 percent of *** dont belive me so i have got to get a pic soon lol as lost the one of the results

Forgot to mention that I finally got mapped at Eurospec a few weeks ago. Made a disappointing peak figure but gains of nearly 60hp in the mid range were greatly received! Romain told me my exhaust was the weakest point what with it being a 2.5". Bit disappointing as I love my Toda, I've spoke to solid fabrications about a 3" they can also fabricate a titanium dolphin onto that so after I've saved a few pennies I'll look at getting one.

for now though I'm really happy with how the car drives, I'm just going to chill out and learn to drive. The car is way more capable than I am so it's time to enjoy it.

my race was 40minutes and the car was brilliant and reliable. I'm sure the oil cooler is really doing its job as I had 0 issues. All in all a brilliant day at Donnington. For those of you who haven't raced there all I can say is Craner curves fully pinned with no let off is as good as it gets! :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha completely forgot about this happening but at the end of the race something was missing from my car...can you guess what it was...

Its quite bizarre really as it's usually a slut to remove as it's quite tight fitting. I did actually notice that my oil pressure decreased and my temps rose slightly and knew something wasn't quite right. But not a lot I could of done about it mid race. My thinking was 'screw this if it pops it pops', when I came into the pits for my 1min pit stop everyone thought my brakes were on fire but turns out it was just boiling oil smoking away on something.

Funny really and no damage to note. Was a random end to a great weekend!

Thats Croft all booked up for 21st May for its next race.

So a few months have passed now since my first race at Donnington and in true Honda reliable fashion I've had almost zero issues. The car has been ran for around 3 hours at race speeds (completely flat out) and nothing untoward (major) has happened, also interestingly it has used hardly a drop of oil in the process. Either my dipstick is lying to me or I need a new set of eyeballs and the car runs cool as a cucumber, even when track temps are hot and 40 minutes races.

Croft wasn't a bad track but isn't my favourite either. It has some good flat out sections but for what ever reason it really didn't float my boat. During qualifying I managed to damage my gear linkage, one of the plastic sleeves that the wire feeds through snapped and so the wire had no purchase on the gear change mechanism. Resulted in me being stuck in 3rd gear and having to ride the clutch to get moving from stand still. A little frustrating as I had no spare set. A quick call to the local Honda dealer and they wanted £400....obviously I'm not mental and didn't go along with the sale. Luckily Civic Cup were racing the same weekend as me and I went for a sheepish wonder down to their setup to see if I could borrow/purchase a set of linkages from them. Shaun (SW Motorsport) and Steve (Civic Cup) sorted me right out, luckily they weren't racing until the Sunday and I was on Saturday so they allowed me to borrow there's on the proviso that I returned it to them. Of which I did. They literally saved my bacon and I managed to bag 3rd place in my 40min race. Top blokes!

I was suffering badly from understeer at Croft which is probably what gave me the bad feeling of it. The car hadn't had the alignment checked in about 2 years albeit it had only ever been on a track in that time. So before Snetterton I had it realigned with some setting I found on the HOT forum. They worked a treat and the car had the lovely feeling of rear end rotation again not to mention a sharper turn in feeling. I think some of the understeering issues were also blamed on my driving style and so have tried to readdress that also.

Up next was Snetterton, a track I had heard a lot of grumbles about and not a lot positive....but I have no idea why. Snetterton has it all, high speed straights, technical twisty bits and flat out double handers. If Donnington didn't have Craner Curves Snett would be my favourite track. The 300 setup is long (3 miles) but its good going! It certainly keeps you on your toes. 40 minutes of racing that and I was buggered! Managed to finish in 5th despite it being my first time there.

At the end of the Snetterton race our series manager arranged for all the cars to get weighed. I was pleasantly surprised with mine, with 1/3 of fuel left and with me in the car suited up etc I came in at 1157kg. Now I'm a fatty and with race gear on estimate to be around 105kg. So the car weighs around 1020kg (I think). I do have some car scales but never seem to get them out when I have the time!

As there is now a break until my final race for the Army (September) I decided to do a couple of invitiatiaonals, so I threw myself on to Nippon Challenge at Thruxton last weekend. I have been here a few times to watch various things such as BTCC and knew of its high speed folk lore. It wasn't until I was doing 110mph though a right hander that I realised just how high speed it was. It took a fair while until I grew the cohones to not lift off. I personally didn't like the track that much although it was growing on me. I just didn't find it technical enough as it is just flat out corners with 2 esses. Not really suited (in my opinion) to the twisty ability of the CTR. It was good though and any time on track is better than no time on track. Conditions were brilliant I might add also!

The only minor thing I will comment with regards to reliability is the M2 intake manifold, one of the coolant outlets that is blocked off has a rubber nipple which perished and on my final corner of race one for Nippon Challenge gushed coolant everywhere...resulting in the car instantly overheating and saving itself by going in to limp mode. A little rubbish as about 4 cars overtook me on the start/finish straight but with the temps on my gauge reading in to 130degrees I was just happy the car made it back to the paddock.

I had about an hour to get it fixed before race 2, which I did. Re-bled the coolant system etc and the car was good as new again. The limp mode kindly removed itself without me having to do any wizardry and I cracked on with the final race of the day. Which I ended up bagging 3rd place and a lovely little trophy. Happy with that :)

Enough Jibber jabber here's a couple of pics.

Also I've been uploading my races onto YouTube also in case anyone is interested. Feel free to throw comments good or bad on to the videos I'm always open to suggestions and feedback of any kind.

https://youtu.be/pMJVWZugcsU

https://youtu.be/ckgLWrObIbE

https://youtu.be/BOCmObcQcMw

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great reading.

I actually prefer Croft over Donington, not sure why, maybe it was the pouring rain and S2000 combination. Off again with the Evo so I may change my mind.

Back