• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mugen Airbox for EP3 - Fitment guide and mini review.

Picked one of these up this week at a price too good to leave. Was planning on keeping the Civic 100% OEM, but this is kinda OEM so fits the bill.

Figment was an arse. I was too lazy/in too much of a hurry to remove the battery, and although I squeezed it in there without too much issue, I would recommend you spend the extra 5 mins removing it to make life easier. It's a lot bigger than the standard box in the bay. Also stretching the OEM lower hose over the intake scoop is tough as it's quite a bit larger than the hose. It does go on though and fits well once in place. The airbox itself doesn't seem to sit amazingly well compared to the OEM airbox, and I would've been annoyed if I'd paid £700 for it! I had to jiggle it about to get the bolts lined up properly. Otherwise fitment wasn't too bad. Took me just over 1.5 hours all in.

Noise wise, it's the same as standard until you hit vtec, then it definitely sounds much nicer. Nice dry intake roar if that makes sense. Power wise I can't notice any difference, but with just an airbox it will be negligible regardless.

Overall I'm pleased with it. If you want something that looks nice in the bay, offers a small noise increase yet maintains OEM appearance, then I would say go with this option. I know the Tegiwa is better for performance, I just don't like that it looks way different to OEM.

Will get some pics up later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely you get an induction kit for more noise and as much more power as possible.

The GruppeM/Tegiwa covers both bases on that score, okay you have to have a scoop above the bonnet but anything that is going to resemble OEM is going to have the same intake points as the original airbox.

You can get an extra scoop now by FC Design that I have seen, that looks better at scooping air from the grill directly to where this and the OEM takes it from, so maybe would be a good option too.

I had the Mugen on my very first CTR when it came out and was disappointed with it, the quality is not what you would expect from something so expensive and it is only made from fibreglass as apposed to carbon fibre.

I then made sure I had an AEM CAI and then went to the GruppeM and I have to say the GruppeM knocked everything out of the water. Okay the fitment can also be an issue but if you get a good fitment on the scuttle panel to the original panel it is fine.

Having come back on the scene the J's Racing seems of interest, as from the outside you do not have any sign of any extra scoops, but I would imagine it takes air from a similar point to the FC design scoop.

We went on a rolling road day where 1 car tested a number of induction kits including a new one that had been developed, the AEM CAI was 2nd and the GruppeM 1st :D

I have to admit I agree with you about the quality of the Mugen for the price. No way in hell is it worth £700-800 new. It just isn't. The finish isn't there. I got it at a good price, and cheaper than a gruppem/tegiwa one would be second hand you see. I also wanted more noise but nothing too crazy as it's my daily driver.

I will look into the fc design scoop as a few of the guys on TRO's have recommended it. We'll see. I actually think the car felt more torquey on the OEM box dare I say it, but the noise of the Mugen is addictive. I will hold onto it for a whole and see how I get on anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pics of the kit itself and fittings. These are in my blog too, but thought it would be useful if I posted them here also. Will add a finished one tomorrow!

R0019109_zps906779b0.jpg

R0019115_zps502f1dd8.jpg

R0019113_zps1d139d10.jpg

R0019112_zps20479223.jpg

R0019110_zpsa7567393.jpg

R0019122_zps0df07fc3.jpg

R0019123_zpsfc6f6c87.jpg

R0019125_zpsf6dac651.jpg

Back