• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

civic fn2 roof rust advice

hi all ive the rotting roof issue so tomorrow ive decided to go pistols at 10 yards with honda customer service. i have no idea where i stand on this issue other than reading other peoples threads on forums like this. as ive bought the car from an independent dealer i thought i was gonna have to fix it myself,but ive just read two guys posts that also bought independent and honda fixed theirs!

so what im basically asking is the jargon i need to know, so im not fobbed off tomorrow if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! thanks j.

It just needs a full service history and not be over 5 years old. Shouldn't have a problem then, some people have had it done over 5 years, but it depends on how well you get on with the dealer's service department.

Honda UK know all about it, so if the dealer pleads ignorance, ask them to ring Honda.

It happens because the windscreen rubber rubs through where it meets the paint on the roof.

Interesting .... I have noticed rusting on my roof within the last week, I'll be paying Honda a visit in the near future.

cheers again loxy. from just today ive decided to take the car back, gutted as love driving it esp after just fitting a HKS RSK but theres to many problems for my liking for an 8000 quid car. roof rusted, aux pulley bearing shot, clutch fluid gunky clutch never stops squeaking needs a master possibly, interior lights never worked, hitting a fly at 60mph takes paint off the bonnet.And now tonight its started making a whine noise when i turn to the right,and the cars only covered 40000! too much **** for a lot of money. plus the dealer is a ####. thats the main reason i dont want it, he was supposed to fix the clutch and pulley just after i bought it. was meant to go in 2 weeks ago when i was in doncaster. wouldnt answer the phone all week,i been busy so had no time to chase him. rang him today and quote "hard luck my mechanic has just got married and has gone on honeymoon for two weeks" i could choke the ####.

That's a shame.

Don't let it put you off though, find another and ask for an extended test drive. ;)

I've never heard of this problem before, But i've just been out to check and it seems my roof is okay at the moment, it's a three year old car, So i have two years to keep an eye on it, is that correct? Also You say it has to have a full service history, Why? i work were i have some great mechanics and technicians around me, so they do all my servicing, but as we're not a garage it doesnt go in the book. Why should that be a problem? My car is proberbly better cared for than ones that have a yearly service.

Also have to agree with the hitting a fly at 60 comment. Sadly thats too true, my bonnet now looks like one of those spotty d1ck marbles from the 90's.

An annual service as per the schedule includes a bodywork inspection, i.e. for rust.

Not my rules, and I do agree with you to some extent but does it not make sense that if you're expecting a car manufacturer to honour a warranty, especially outside of the normal warranty period, then you'd need some evidence of following the normal maintenance schedule?

I guess thats the one word, Evidence. Without that they dont know what i've done with my car or how i've looked after it. Well lets just hope i dont need to worry about it.

Got mine aproved yesterday and it's a 2008. Extended warranty to 7 years apparently plus I don't have full service, missing one or two stamps. They drove it round the back took a few pictures and 5 minutes later without question the had me booked in for Wednesday. So happy days

Just bought a 07 example with this issue,(reflected in price). I am going to replace the screen as the issue is caused by insufficient paint coverage in the first instance. The windscreen rubber then gradually rubs through causing the issue. With the windscreen removed it is easy to rectify the corrosion with a mini sander and the application of a decent rust proofer such as Kurust. Then the application of basecoat and lacquer. Personally I like to apply 3 coats. Then in goes a nice new windscreen. A permanent solution

If the screen is left in place you cannot properly address the problem and it will inevitably raise its unwelcome head once again a few years down the line.

Back