• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whirring noise/ induction problem

Hello everyone i've picked up a few problems with my 2002 EP3 and wondering if anyone could help diagnose the problem.

When the engine is on i hear a whirring / scraping sound, however when i push the clutch pedal in this noise seems to stop, even though every gear slots on well and it changes gear fine, I've heard this possibly could be clutch throw out bearing, but i'm not sure?

This problem has seemed to have got worse after i installed my new Tegiwa induction kit, which leads me on to my second problem which is the rattle i get from the kit, Tegiwa give you a velcro strip but this didn't seem to stop the rattling/ vibration of the kit. At the moment i have a sponge behind the airbox with some double sided tape to hold it in place where it sits at the top of the scuttle panel, but this doesn't seem to stop the rattling and i cant for the life of me find out where its coming from. [It mainly rattles when coming off the accelerator].

Bringing me back to the problem with the whirring noise, it seems to be coming from where the induction kit sits? Maybe its something to do with that but i don't know. Car seems fine other than these annoying noises, any help / advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you

If you press in the clutch pedal and the noise stops it's the clutch release bearing. It won't do any damage but the noise will get louder as time goes by.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Yes the noise stops when the clutch is pressed in. Reckon its better to get it fixed sooner rather than later if its only going to get loader ?

Mine's been making this sound since I've had it 2 years ago mine hasn't got any worse though. I've been told it's the release bearing so changing the clutch should stop this.
As for the rattles I would check inlet manifold cover is tightened down then check various heatshields and go from there.

Thanks for your response :) I'll get my mechanic to check heat shield and what not when it goes in for new engine mounts ( 3 are needed) maybe it has something to do with them as the engine isn't as stable as it should be ? But I don't know

Dim problem :). Engine mounts will cause knocking etc when they have gone so it may be fine after you've fitted them.

Back