• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbothemagnificent's unmagnificent '85 Civic

So, those of you that know me will appreciate that I do dumb and impetuous things. This is one of them.

1985 Civic 1.3 auto.

Bought for a pittance at the far end of England, with only the TarmacNymph seal of approval to go on. Amazingly the car got home to Glasgow without missing a beat for 500 miles and 17 hours of traffic jams, diversions, traffic jams, monsoon, traffic jams, getting lost because of a Policeman diverting us in completely the wrong direction, and some more traffic jams.

I plan on using this car as a daily driver while I do some work on my EP3, then take it apart and see what's underneath. The only problems so far are dead gas struts on the boot and some light rust on the rear arches.

So far, it's been a big old pile of win. Watch this space for catastrophic failure.

First change, because 29 year old speakers can foad.

WIN.

Similarish shape front end to the propper CRX, wonder if there is any interchangeability... doubtful but would be handy if there is!

PS: Still going to have you off in the super sexual swift

Still going to have you off in the super sexual swift

That, Sir, could be misconstrued. This is BY FAR the slowest car I have ever owned, I'll still give you a jolly good seeing to though.

There are a few parts that are easy enough to swap, CRX parts go for a premium though. There's quite few people tuning these stateside, so new parts are still being made. It's been a learning experience, like - Wait, torsion bar suspension does WHAT?!

I've been toying with that idea. The seats definitely need sorted, my back was killing me on the drive home. I'm going to look into getting the oem seats refoamed and trimmed, or maybe a pair of old skool sports seats. I think the EP3 seats would be a bit much in such a small car.

Nice. I had an 86 GT (1.5 injected). Was really good fun.

I recommend joining the Red Pepper Racing forum - it's dedicated to thea early Civics, CRXs and Integras. Good resourceful forum.

:cool: I would have loved a GT, but beggars can't be choosers, so I'm rocking the DL (which I'm assuming stands for Deliberately Lethargic). You got any pics?

Red pepper racing is a cracking wee forum, I've been trawling through it for a couple of weeks, some really good info and contacts there. One of the members is an absurdly talented metal fabricator that makes and sells parts, so a few shiny bits may appear after any necessary repairs and some refurbishment is done.

Awesome Sauce indeed. :cool:

Having driven this car myself, I can concur on just how incredible it is. Nostalgic blast from the past, and an auto 'box that's so smooth it'd put a great deal of modern cars to shame.

Your generosity will be repaid, most likely in beer :smt030

I've been reading up on the gearbox, it's an utterly remarkable design actually. I'm amazed by the technical expertise that went into making something so unique and outside the box, AND building it well enough that it still runs flawlessly nearly 30 years later. It's every bit as good as a modern autobox in a traffic jam, through town or on the motorway, and I still haven't felt a single noticeable gear change. Amazing.

I was also amazed with it. It's probably why stopping for a junction was much harder than expected because I thought I wasn't going as fast as I actually was due to the lack of gear change awareness. Hell, it's smoother than the change in the GT-R. :lol:

Awesomeness Jimbo. Get on some old school vinyl seats, I had some awesome Cobra Buckets in my old Mini that were comfy as hell.

1985 Civic 1.3 auto.

1499433_178602169000407_1737756071_n.jpg

Well, it's just a daily for now. In six months when the MOT is up I'll take it apart and see if it's worth saving. If it's all good underneath, then yes, big things.

Back