• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbothemagnificent's unmagnificent '85 Civic

Got a few jobs done today:

Fettled the new bumper hangers and fixed the number plate lights while it was off.
Cleaned and polished the exhaust, then slash cut the tip.
Cleaned thirty years of super gnarly grime out the engine bay. However bad you think that job was, it was worse.
Cleaned the car.
Waxed it in a kind of how-much-can-you-get-on-in-one-ridiculous-coat kind of way.
Put tyre shine on the bumpers, which worked surprisingly well. I think.... it was dark by then, I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

So, the engine bay, and three hours of torture. Two cans of Gunk foam barely made a dent. The underneath of the bonnet was the worst part. I started using a sponge, within two minutes I had turned it over to the scourer side, and within 30 minutes I had destroyed the entire six pack and had to go buy another twelve. I ran out of Gunk and had to create my own super-cleaner with whatever I had lying around; wheel cleaner, kitchen cleaner, car wash, bug and tar remover, washing up liquid, bicycle degreaser and cream cleaner. All in the one spray bottle :lol:. It was awesome. F*cking stings when it goes into cuts though.

I'll get some better pics of the bay and bumpers tomorrow, the light went and my phone camera wouldn't focus.

Exhaust before

Exhaust after

Engine bay before

During

After

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good mate. You'll never get it EP3 clean but it all helps.
what's the reason for slash cutting the exhaust?

I cut the exhaust because the tip was corroded and I couldn't be bothered trying to fix it :lol:. I must admit to stealing a bit of inspiration from NYA and his drifthussie mx5.

Indeed Karl, shame they don't sell 40 ouncers here!

Looking good mate, I should really get round to cleaning my bay! How was the outsiders meet? Notice your car sneaking into some pics.

Looking good mate, I should really get round to cleaning my bay! How was the outsiders meet? Notice your car sneaking into some pics.

It's not normally such a bad job, makes such a difference though. The meet was great, really nice bunch of guys with some amazing cars. I've not seen any pics yet, feel free to share!

Good effort.

Get rid of those hub caps though IMO, run ghetto steelies.

That's the next job on the list; get the wire brush out and see what I can do with the wheels. They definitely need to be behind hub caps right now!

Wire brush and some matt/satin black rattle can. Job done.

I'd run steelies too, but I have super awesome halford spec TSWs because I'm cool as fcuk.

You flashy git! That's well rad, yo.

I actually quite like the steelies, was just thinking about 10mm spacers this morning. I've just taken the fronts off and cleaned them, 30 years of brake dust. FML.

I'm going to go wire brush the **** out of them now. Well, right after I've looked at tyres.....

A few more pics:

Better shot of engine bay last night after stage 1 cleaning.

The beginning of stage 2.

*******NSFW topless shot********

Moody shot of the civic where it's happiest.

Looks good from a distance, but get closer and you'll see she's all jacked up. Also, the cosmetic effort gives her a certain appeal, but as soon as you're inside her you realise why she was so inexpensive.

She's also infectious.

Hey, you were the first one to take her for a spin. Any symptoms?

You got lucky. I AM bleeding, the old girl has savaged my extremities recently. I've also seen enough gunk in the last two days to last me a lifetime.

I'm still working on a name for this car, I'll need to research historical courtesans. I'm sure that will lead to some interesting "reading". For now, let's call her the Scarlet Concubine.

She must have succumbed to a few drunken one nighters and let her safety standards slip in between the two of us then. Perhaps it was because I didn't let her down gently when I told her that she'd never see me again. ;)

You got lucky. I AM bleeding, the old girl has savaged my extremities recently. I've also seen enough gunk in the last two days to last me a lifetime.

I'm still working on a name for this car, I'll need to research historical courtesans. I'm sure that will lead to some interesting "reading". For now, let's call her the Scarlet Concubine.

I don't know what you guys are on about, but your Civic looks so good in the photo's above! The blues wheels especially!

It's just occurred to me that a friend of mine used to have one of these about 10 years ago. He put bike carbs/TBs on it from a CBR1000 (I believe) and it sounded incredible. It'd spit flames, which was hilarous out of a peashooter exhaust.

Seems like a sensible thing to do.

Back