• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil would you use? An old question i know!

Hi all, just after a simple answer please. Ive got an ep3 CTR on 49k. Only mod will be a K&N filter (for sound not performance) Could you please post the brand/ type of oil you would use. I know there are many on opie oils etc that are good for the job but im interested to see which is the favourite.
Thanks

Fuchs 5w30 titan race when I had a k20

Occasional other brand if on a particularly good offer.

Still use fuchs for the RB but at 15w50.

Which is yet another oil that no OEM will use.

Why's that? If it shouldn't be in my car, let me know so I can drain it straight away!

I was under the impression any 5w40 fully synth would be suitable, and I got this for a lot cheaper than they have it for now.

Just put in a decent fully synth that an OEM would use. Shell, Mobil One, Castol, Petronas etc.

All of these other oils, Nanodrive, Fuchs purple oil etc is mostly marketing nonsense and some don't even meet the correct specifications.

Always used either Fuchs or Motul in the Civics/Teg, but previous owner is a Castrol Edge fan so that's what the S has at the moment.

Just put in a decent fully synth that an OEM would use. Shell, Mobil One, Castol, Petronas etc.

All of these other oils, Nanodrive, Fuchs purple oil etc is mostly marketing nonsense and some don't even meet the correct specifications.

Thanks I will bear that in mind when my next service is due.

I'm using Castrol Edge 5w40. Runs great on it. Not sure what was in there before, probably 0w30 which is a little thin IMO.

Probably one of the best oils you can use, plus Castrol are British. :)

I'm using Castrol Edge 5w40. Runs great on it. Not sure what was in there before, probably 0w30 which is a little thin IMO.
The zero oils are more for high compression turbo engines. I only use castrol products. Great choice by the way. I use zero w thirty in my vxr.

Castrol edge 5-40 fs, I did use 0-40 fs, again Castrol edge, but it would drink it just too thin.

Honda mechanic said Castrol Edge 0w-30 if ragging the car a lot or for track days. 5w-30 if driving normally and ragging it now and then. It does make sense to me, but people are saying 5w-40 which is even thicker... Im guessing its peoples personal preference what they think is better but Castrol Edge is the most common oil i hear people using. It does make me doubt though when i keep seeing people saying different things. Is Castrol Edge 5w-30 a good safe oil to put in? It seems to be in-between the thinnest and thickest oil, which makes me think its good for driving normal and fast. Thanks

Back