• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Garage say new steering rack

Took my car to Formula one autocentres and they have recommended I try and source a used steering rack with 'you-joint'???.

I found a steering rack claiming to be in perfect working condition for £110.

What is the you joint? Linked between steering and rack?

Labour quoted was £170 including tracking.

Any thoughts or helpful suggestions please go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume they mean either u/j or universal joint. It's the part that allows rotation where the steering shaft meets the rack at different angles. (like an angle adaptor you get in socket sets)

What is the fault you are experiencing with the steering? A lot of knowledge on here that might give you an idea and save some pennies!

The car has a mind of its own. It wanders to the left and right on its own accord. It feels dangerous to drive at 60mph+ and I experience excessive vibration at high speed.

I believe the wheel bearing is also out which is possibly contributing to the vibration.

I have found a steering rack off a 40k 2002 type R at £70.

Any other things I should change at the same time? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thank you

This is what annoys me at garages.
I could go to 5 garages, all will claim something different is wrong.

Ideally you need to find a garage that's got experience with these cars.
The symptoms you've described doesn't sound like an issue with the rack personally. Generally steering rack faults are stiff steering and steering not self centring.
First things to check is tyre condition and pressures. Then you need the steering and suspension checked for any excessive movement and the wheel alignment checked.

It doesn't self centre either. Inner joints seem to have gone. The new rack is very free and has one perfect track rod end attached. *** replace the other side too so it's all new.

I went into honda. They said they can have a look but it will cost £100 for diagnostics and they will be able to tell me exactly what's wrong.

My steering feels strange and it has up and down play but no side to side.
So i have bought a new rack slider which seems to be a common problem with these.
If you can leave it for a few days break it down and see whats worn then use the forum or lings honda to get the replacement parts

Is the rack slider replaced when I fit the old rack in? If not where can I get the sliders from?

New track rod end in, wheel alignment done. It's a little better however something still causing the wheel not to self centre so quickly. Doesn't feel so fluid. And of course the steering rack squeaking and creaking is still there. Lol

I got my parts from lings honda websiteI replaced my slider and its made a big difference but theres still slight unnerve feelingSo im not sure what else it could be as everything looks and checks out ok

Drove 100 miles a+b roads last night. Car handling is very sharp.

There is excessive vibration at 70mph+.
I'm thinking of checking wheel bearings.

Also if I floor it, the car seems to pull a little at peak power to left or right. However if I keep my steering straight there is no movement and it drives straight.
Could it be my shock moving?

I checked my tyre pressures and they were low its made a huge difference but i do get the same
i have eyed up my wheels and it looks like my tracking needs doing but im after a proper frsu anyway now i have all the adjustable bits i need

Have you got the new set up yet?

I check my tyre pressure at least once a week (500 miles a week). It's always 1-2psi out

Not yet, i have had a bit of drama with it and have only just got it back on the road.

A lorry driver wasn't paying attention and hit the back of the car. Luckily it only damaged the boot the window and bumper so it got repaired.

Im looking to sort it out soon but i want to change my front arms to superpro caster increase bushes before i get it done.

Oh fair enough. I hit a metal square skip type trolley bin on full wheel lock in reverse. Dented my front wing and bumper came off.

First time I hit something in the civic and how blimin stupid too.

Booked it in next day and paid £300 for repair and fresh lick of paint and now it's looks back to normal
547014eb33b8e8aaa8ae5ec52d3ea344.jpg

88bfd7b7c41c62ae7e7f50ce467689df.jpg

Back