• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ball joint replacement

Hi looking for a bit of advice pretty new to honda scene and Hondas in General just came from turboed vauxhall world and there's quite abit of difference so bit unsure on what I need to replace ball joints
I know I need a ball joint press but I've also read you need adapters I've managed to find a cheap press on eBay for around 35 quid it does come with an array of adapters but I'm unsure if they will work

Does anyone have any input on what they done

I used a vice to press mine out. I've got a bearing press/pulling kit with various sized metal sleeves.
When refitting, put the ball joint in the freezer for an hour or so (longer the better).
Heat up the part of the knuckle where the ball joint sits in. Try get it as hot as you can and avoid damaging/melting anything around it.
You should then be able to push the ball joint in by hand. You have to act fast as the knuckle will cool quick. You might only get it in about 60-80% but then it should be easy enough to press in the last part.
Alternatively take the knuckle off, trip down to your local garage, a drink later they'll have it done for you.

Ahh right I did think of using heat I'll probably take then hubs to a garage get them to press out and in

thanks

I just replace mine, hammered the old ones out. Had the new ones cooled and then pressed in with a vice. Went in no bother with a sleeve over.

Back