• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Battery Not Charging

Hey there.

I'm having some issues with my 52 plate Civic Type R. Over the last few days I've had to jump start my car at every startup because the battery has been dead. I checked the voltage at the battery while it was running and it shows 12.2-12.6v. I then tested the battery positive onto the alternator body and got 14.3v. Does this suggest the alternator is charging correctly? (assumung I tested it correctly)

I got a fault code P1298 suggesting the ELD, but after a bit of research I disconnected the 'C' pin from the alternator wiring (the white/green wire) to bypass the ELD and there is still no change.

Heres the funny part, When I have my OBD scanner plugged in, the battery charges at 12.9v but as soon as I pull the plug out it drops back to the lower 12.2-12.6v
:lol:

If anybody has any idea what the problem could be and is able to assist, I would be extremely greatful.

Cheers!

Might be worth trying another ELD and check any earth's.
I've got a spare ELD I dont need, you're welcome to it.

With engine off you should have 12v across positive and negative on battery.

With the engine running it should be 14v across same terminals.

With engine off you should have 12v across positive and negative on battery.

With the engine running it should be 14v across same terminals.

yeah am getting the 12v across the battery when engine off, but still 12v while running. But the alternator body is giving out 14v. Must not be finding its way to the battery somehow?

Dmrichards i PM'd you. Not sure if you got it though because theres nothing in my sent box

A wee update if anyone is able to help. The car has started first time no problem over the last 2 days. I checked the charging battery voltage last night and it was sitting at 13.9v. So i suspect a dodgy earth connection but i couldnt see much wrong. Is there anything else that can cause this?

Back