• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #4

Cars don't half cause heart/head ache haha

The new type r would be awesome but at the same time your new FN2 is a tasty motor pal so win win situation, wonder how the new cars will hold their prices over the next 12-18 months

Last night's drive of the new CTR has thrown me big style.

Currently I'm not going to fit the cams and will probably look to sell them on and run the car as is for 12 months and save save save...

And the added bonus it s a five door. :D

But you didn't like the FN2 with a supercharger, so what's the difference with it being turbo?
Or is it more about the cabin and the looks than power?

Cars don't half cause heart/head ache haha

The new type r would be awesome but at the same time your new FN2 is a tasty motor pal so win win situation, wonder how the new cars will hold their prices over the next 12-18 months

Aye, there is nothing wrong with the FN2, cracking car but I've now seen what its replacement is like. I honestly wanted to throw a match in the FN2 when I got back in it last night.

Think what your FN2 would be like if you spent £25k on it.

I've been there though. Granted not £25k into it, but it's easy to go too far.

But you didn't like the FN2 with a supercharger, so what's the difference with it being turbo?
Or is it more about the cabin and the looks than power?

I've had boosted cars before Danga. Subaru STi and the Croakus ST.

This just feels like a much more torquey and progressive K20. They have done a really good job on the engine and how it feels, particularly when bimbling around town but it properly shoves you back in the seat when you pin it The old FN2 when supercharged just didn't handle right either, nevermind that the power delivery was different. The new CTR just eats corners, not a hint of torque steer when working the diff and the front end stuck with regards to traction on acceleration.

Sounds like my mind is made up really. :lol:

That would be some serious upgrades.

Hmm. See above.

John, have you thought about how much the new cars' tyres and extensively developed suspension make a difference? Riding on decent suspension now with decent tyres it makes a world of difference.

Do you mean over the Falken FK452s I had on when the FN2 was Rotrexd? True, I didn't rate them TBH.

And I completely agree with the suspension comment after experiencing the Mugen dampers on the FN2 and the Meister R GT1s which use Nitron shocks IIRC. The new CTR has adaptive dampers though, and its bloody good.

Drive one Chris and you'll see what I'm on about. :lol:

I already know I want a FK2 without even driving one; but I'll never get the permission to spend the money. :lol:

I have tried to get a test drive of the new type r at both my local honda dealerships and one guy keeps calling me back to tell me I cant test drive it until I have comitted to a sale. What a pratt, although im pretty sure I will fall in love with it who commits to a sale without test driving a car. When i went to test drive the new wrx I got handed the keys and was told to bring it back before closing, granted I know the guy at the local citroen/subaru dealership. Rowes Honda have poor customer service skills, especially as im a repeat customer.

I have tried to get a test drive of the new type r at both my local honda dealerships and one guy keeps calling me back to tell me I cant test drive it until I have comitted to a sale. What a pratt, although im pretty sure I will fall in love with it who commits to a sale without test driving a car. When i went to test drive the new wrx I got handed the keys and was told to bring it back before closing, granted I know the guy at the local citroen/subaru dealership. Rowes Honda have poor customer service skills, especially as im a repeat customer.

Honda HQ take bad customer service seriously. If you get a survey request from Honda fill it in. As they will send the results back to the dealer and then watch the dealer loose the Honda franchise over time if they are not up to a good standard. :D

Or better still call them and inform them of the poor customer service. :D

Slow compared to the M3, not as nice sounding and less cow hide in it, but it's a bit of old school hooligan isn't it?

I was asked what I thought of it over on the M3 forum, so I'll copy and paste it here!

Interior:
Plastic fantastic although much better than the previous cars .
Seats where lovely and supportive, great driving position and pedals where great for heel and toeing.
Good level of standard trim, USB, hdmi inputs, parking sensors etc.
Lots of geek toys (0-60mph timer, boost gauge etc)

Exterior
Much better in person, very over styled though (I actually quite like it) but I wouldn't want to turn up at a pub or posh hotel in it. (Golf R/S3 would be much better for that!)
Wheels and tyres looked very 'pinched' and set in the arches, 235/35/19 continential sport contact 6 tyres looked slightly stretched to me, definitely needs some wider wheels/spacers and wider tyres.
The vents on the wings are fakes, with most holes blocked up(one or two had tiny holes in them)

The drive
Well first thing is first, after all the hype I was expecting it to be pretty fast but it didn't seem quick at all to me, I was massively underwhelmed. Obviously i'd just climbed out of my stage2 e92 M3 though so that's probably why!
It's quite a strange feeling changing gear at 7k rpm (I've had pretty much all 'hot' Hondas including engine swapped cars and turbo'd ones)
The traction seems good, although it was perfect conditions being a nice sunny day. It spun up in first then hit the rev limiter to soon, a short shift to 2nd left it with a quick scrabble for traction but then hooked up pretty well.
There was very little torque steer, seems happy to handle a bit more power.
The steering felt typical type R, sharp and accurate with a nice sharp gear change, suspension seemed over firm and heavily damped, very like the old fn2 but a bit worse.

The brakes felt sharp and seemed good on my quick drive, they almost look abit silly to me though huge front calipers on relatively small one peice discs and the rear brakes are just tiny! Also the rear calipers are painted red but the carriers are still unpainted (silver) which just looks daft to me, a easy fix though.

Sound
What sound? I must have had it on mute!
Very disappointing (nothing a decent exhaust couldn't solve though I'm sure!)

Conclusion
A fun, nippy front wheel drive hot Honda but in honesty I got back in my M3 and just felt much happier! I'm not sure if this is a fair review though to be honest, as having had the Porsche, s2000, M3's etc I feel I've grown out of hot hatches a little, especially fwd ones despite how much I love them.
The price is also a factor, as there's a lot you can buy for £30k, albeit not all brand new.

Personally, as a all round car I'd be going to VW for a golf R or Audi for a S3 if I wanted a hot hatch but I'd still rather a nice rwd saloon or coupe.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I had just began watching this thread with great anticipation. :)

I'll watch out for the for sale threads ;-)

All the best with the deal!

Back