• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RichE's Sparklin' Cosmic EP3

Thanks buddy! For sure, opened my eyes to what needs done to be fast in the real world, not power but suspension and braking (on twistys anyway)!

Any suggestions for some better pads?

Ferodo ds2500 I'm running on front with mtec grooved dimpled discs and on rear I have some mintex pads hope this helps.

Was a great run and you hustled the EP3 well. Brakes definitely needing attention, don't know if you cooked your fluid but I'd do it anyway if I was you! Sounded like the pads really burnt up from the stories of them smoking lol. Can't wait to see the footage of that!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will definitely be giving them some attention, and like suggested an overhaul of the calipers will be on the horizon! Fluids and spark plugs change on Friday will get her on her way to being ready for some more summer runs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I refurbished my calipers and I currently run 40g disks with yellowstuff pads all round using ate super blue fluid and a brake stopper.
Also have braided lines ready to fit.

The brake stopper gives you a nice pedal feel. Gives you more confidence, firms the pedal.
Its worth the money.

My next pads will probably be ds2500's

I refurbished my calipers and I currently run 40g disks with yellowstuff pads all round using ate super blue fluid and a brake stopper.
Also have braided lines ready to fit.

The brake stopper gives you a nice pedal feel. Gives you more confidence, firms the pedal.
Its worth the money.

My next pads will probably be ds2500's

Thanks mate.

Lots of good suggestions for brake upgrades, was a bit clueless if I'm honest but now have a good idea! A lot of these look like they wouldn't break the bank too which is a plus.

From memory my brake disks and pads cost around £250
my fluid I think was £13 but I got a few tins in a deal
my caliper kit was £55
and the brake stopper is on tegiwa but I won one on eBay cheap
my braided brake lines were £25 off a breaking car but normally £55ish upwards.

Another good upgrade is a braided clutch line.
I use ate superblue on that as well.
Gives a more positive feel to the pedal.

From memory my brake disks and pads cost around £250
my fluid I think was £13 but I got a few tins in a deal
my caliper kit was £55
and the brake stopper is on tegiwa but I won one on eBay cheap
my braided brake lines were £25 off a breaking car but normally £55ish upwards.

Another good upgrade is a braided clutch line.
I use ate superblue on that as well.
Gives a more positive feel to the pedal.

Thanks mate, good info!

Would you recommend doing the front and back at the same time, or will I see much benefits upgrading the front for now and leaving the back OEM?

Just found a bunch of old receipts and stuff I didn't realise that I had, from the last owner whilst digging out the service book. He had it from 46k miles up till the 76k I bought it at, and seems like he has taken good care of it I reckon.

Its had the timing chain replaced at 65K miles (£750 bill for him), so hopefully I wont ever have to worry about replacing that!

Assuming you've got the axle stands for it just do the whole lot mate. It's only a few hours work to do brakes and fluid all round. If you're doing fluid anyway then braided lines will only add an hour or less. Make sure you have a healthy size breaker bar mind.

I did mine all round as they needed changing but oem is fine for rear and upgrade the front.
And its not alot more for the rear if you buy as a package.

Just remember to get a piston tool for the rear otherwise its a pain in the arse and almost impossible to wind it in.
I would recommend doing it all at the same time also.
Gives you peice of mind when you drive it spiritedly if you know all corners are tip top

I assume you've already ordered plugs, but if you haven't, Cox's on here sell the OEM items. I'm running them and as expected all is good.

Assuming you've got the axle stands for it just do the whole lot mate. It's only a few hours work to do brakes and fluid all round. If you're doing fluid anyway then braided lines will only add an hour or less. Make sure you have a healthy size breaker bar mind.

Yeah I think that will be the plan! Won't be for a month or so what with Holiday etc coming up but brake fluid has been changed today so they are at least working again!

I assume you've already ordered plugs, but if you haven't, Cox's on here sell the OEM items. I'm running them and as expected all is good.

Went for NGK, running so much more smoothly than before!

First update in a little while, off work for the week so time to get stuck in to a few wee things!

Gave painting the back two calipers a bash tonight, very noob at this so learnt a fair bit doing these ones that will make the front two tomorrow go much more smoothly. Foolishly painted part of the brake-pad but I plan on replacing the pads/ disks sometime in the near future (the disks look horrendous, I know) Pleasde with the colour so far though.

Before/ After
18878181969_5d74d4d1ca_b.jpg
[/URL]Before/ After by Grant Richardson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great chance to give the wheels a good clean front/ back too. Still unsure the best way to clean in between the damn spokes, rite PITA.

18876402678_613491a4f9_b.jpg
[/URL]Deep Clean by Grant Richardson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Had some upsets when trying to do the front brakes; couldn't manage to get the car high enough to get both wheels off the ground using my bottle jack, so going to borrow my mates trolley jack if he gets back to me!

Used the time to address one very manky headlight. Don't have a great before pic but it was very yellow and extremeley hazy, will have to tackle the other one (which looked amazing compared to the crap one, but now looks tatty next to the restored one!)

Also removed the grill to change front Honda badge, and have glued it as the left corner (where the clip is) was completely unattached. (as per bottom photo).

If all goes to plan I'll manage to get the front brake calipers done tomorrow then a clay/polish/wax and I should be happy with it for a while!

18901295210_ec89eaa95a_b.jpg
[/URL]Before/After by Grant Richardson, on Flickr[/IMG]

16639020197_b560343f8d_b.jpg
[/URL]Cracked Grill by Grant Richardson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Don't know where you are in Edinburgh these days but you can borrow my low profile trolley jack if you need it.

First off massive thanks to shifty for loaning me his trolley jack :smt023

And to jimbothemagnificent for his guide for removing a front bumper!

Got the front calipers done today, felt more confident having done (and messed up on) the back two. VERY happy with the colour, looks sweet IMO!

Also fitted a new front red H. Clay/ Polish/ Wax tomorrow (weather dependent) and we will be back to sparklin'!

My helper today managed to snap the little white clip that holds the bonnet prop to the frame, anybody know a part number or where I can get a replacement for this? Also my two horn horn diaphragms are pretty manky, are these cheap to replace (again part no/location would be smashin!)

Blue_zpssijup6yh.jpg

Superb choice of colour buddy! Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh. Honda day at the falkirk wheel on Sunday, just sayin....

To clean between the wheel spokes I use a quarter moon shaped sponge that I got at hobbycraft, works a treat. Of course, cutting a 2" strip from a normal sponge would do exactly the same thing. Maybe even stick a chopstick in it if you feel saucy, that's what I used when I had wire spoke wheels in my classic MG days.

Might be a shout, will see if I can free myself up for some of the day! Can't help feeling my car is a bit plain for such a meet though!

I will have a gander in hobbycraft and try to aquire said sponge! Best thing I've found so far is flossing it with some cloth/ blueroll. Makes getting right in the corner a pain though! Can only imagine the pain doing an actual spoke wheel

Superb choice of colour buddy! Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh. Honda day at the falkirk wheel on Sunday, just sayin....

To clean between the wheel spokes I use a quarter moon shaped sponge that I got at hobbycraft, works a treat. Of course, cutting a 2" strip from a normal sponge would do exactly the same thing. Maybe even stick a chopstick in it if you feel saucy, that's what I used when I had wire spoke wheels in my classic MG days.

Totally by accident, I ended up at this Honda meet at the Falkirk wheel today. We're you there??

I was unfortunately far too hungover to drive anywhere today! Totally fancied it though. Got the total holiday blues now, back to work tomorrow (weather is about to get awesome, sake!)

Back