• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RichE's Sparklin' Cosmic EP3

Well after about 5 months I have decided to make a build thread. There will be lots of repairs and restorations as I slowly get her up to the high standard I thought I was buying when I got her, keep finding things that are wrong or not as they should be so trying to rectify them all bit by bit.

For those who don't know me, my name is Grant, I live just outside of Edinburgh and I love jap cars. I've learnt a great deal already on this site, and the chat isn't half bad either.

Picked up my first type R at the end of November 2014 and loved every moment (excluding trips to the garage). Every full tank starts with super economic driving and then ends up being the opposite once I reach my target miles for a tank.

Plans for the time being (maybe in this order):

Service (Including sparks/air filter)
New front Honda badge
Paint brake calipers (either light-blue/pink/red)
Restore headlights
Upgrade brake discs/pads - New entry
Mugen replica spoiler
Jimbos' special door katana handles
XXRs/ Rotas - New entry
Short-shifter
Restorerd rocker cover
Front strut brace
Lowering Springs
Maybe pre-facelift rear lights

Above has turned into a wishlist!

Anyway here's a few pics:

17053122956_7ec2b11eb4_b.jpg
[/URL]Sea Joy by RichEz91, on Flickr[/IMG]
16456632704_9094f2c6d1_b.jpg
[/URL]Sight Seeing (mirin) by RichEz91, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice indeed, same idea as me with the rear lights think they look much better the old ones. servicing mine this weekend , NGK plugs, Genuine air filter , Shell Helix Fully synthetic oil 5w 40, Hamp oil filter, A lot of people recommend Hamp or Genuine Parts.

The wheels look Darker Then Standard, Looks good

Thanks bud. I see there are different heat ratings for NGK plugs, any idea which of those are best suited? I don't plan on tracking the car so nothing extreme needed!

Yeah they are a pretty sweet grey IMO!

Interested to follow all your mods. I want to do everything at once but my god everything is expensive or I can't do it without help. Will you paint your calipers where they are or take them off? And I think you should go different colour! My plan is purple at some point.

Interested to follow all your mods. I want to do everything at once but my god everything is expensive or I can't do it without help. Will you paint your calipers where they are or take them off? And I think you should go different colour! My plan is purple at some point.

Thanks, I wish I could dump all of my money into it but holidays/ savings means it will be a very gradual process! Hopefully its service next week will clear up any issues and not be too hard on the wallet! Calipers will be painted in situ, I don't have the technical know-how to take them off and have confidence they will go back on and still work!

Looks sweet buddy. Can't agree with you all enough about wanting to do it all at once. I've had mine about 4years now and I still haven't scratched the surface yet. I wish I could win the lottery. It's never ending. As soon as I've finished one thing I'll see or hear about something else and think, ooh, that looks good, I must have. Lol.

Looks sweet buddy. Can't agree with you all enough about wanting to do it all at once. I've had mine about 4years now and I still haven't scratched the surface yet. I wish I could win the lottery. It's never ending. As soon as I've finished one thing I'll see or hear about something else and think, ooh, that looks good, I must have. Lol.

Thanks mate hopefully still look great when I'm done with it haha!

And thanks a bunch hothatch! Magic :)

As for replacing the air filter do people rate the Honda version or do people favour an aftermarket one?

People seem to rate the Hondata airbox mod which involves cutting some of the inner gubbins away inside the standard airbox and then fitting a different but still OE filter like a K&N. Gives a bit of induction noise if that's your fancy!

https://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html

I did a simple swap for a standard S2000 air filter, makes a nice noise when you want it to!

People seem to rate the Hondata airbox mod which involves cutting some of the inner gubbins away inside the standard airbox and then fitting a different but still OE filter like a K&N. Gives a bit of induction noise if that's your fancy!

https://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html

I did a simple swap for a standard S2000 air filter, makes a nice noise when you want it to!

Thanks mate will try that out!

Managed to overcook my breaks on a highland blast with Edinburgh Road and Track, scary stuff, got it on gopro from the car behind so that will be good to see.

Marbras I will spot you eventually!

RichE's Sparklin' Cosmo EP3

Cosmic grey the best colour I started off like you just wanting minor upgrades but 5 years later am running a jrsc with top mods ! Think big the ep3 is more than capable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a couple photos from the run yesterday, managed to balls up the photo taking so these are the only few I have. Still waiting for footage of my breaks sh*ting themselves! (made all downhill parts VERY sketchy afterwords)

Can now confirm Shifty and his vette is pretty hard to keep up with! RS4 is a monster too.

16653054804_f26eeea230_b.jpg
[/URL]Getting ready for the pass by RichEz91, on Flickr[/IMG]

17275508135_8e5c1765f0_b.jpg
[/URL]South Queensferry by RichEz91, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice mate, good to see an EP3 mixing it up with the big guns..... can i suggest a brake fluid change and uprated discs and pads for next time lol

Nice looking EP3 mate!

My breaks sh*t themselves last summer, it's not fun. As Benz said good fluid and pads really help, I also rebuilt my calipers which has been a huge improvement in feel and power. Dissipating the heat is the real trick on these cars, consider grooved discs when it's time to change. I'm also going to have a good look at ducting air to the fronts.

Nice mate, good to see an EP3 mixing it up with the big guns..... can i suggest a brake fluid change and uprated discs and pads for next time lol

Thanks buddy! For sure, opened my eyes to what needs done to be fast in the real world, not power but suspension and braking (on twistys anyway)!

Any suggestions for some better pads?

Thanks buddy! For sure, opened my eyes to what needs done to be fast in the real world, not power but suspension and braking (on twistys anyway)!

Any suggestions for some better pads?

I'm running EBC yellow stuff in the front and brembo in the rear, the yellow stuff are epic when up to temperature but havent lasted that long I think i'll try brembo in the front too,

I've also got drilled and grooved discs. I would reccomend the grooves but if you go for drilled go for top quality ones, on my last track day a EP3 shattered a cheap drilled disc. Mine are black diamond front and brembo rear discs.

Like jimbo said a caliper overhaul will massivly help, I'm doing my fronts now (purchased some second hand ones to overhaul and then will just swop them out) and while they are off might as well fit braded hoses...... If all of that isn't up to it then its a big brake kit for big money.

I love cosmic grey
as soon as I could afford a type r I got a preface lift silver.

I blame my brother for buying a black preface when I was 16. I had the bug ever since

when cosmic came out that's the car I had to have at some point

Back