• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Opinions please!

I writing a feature on all three previous generations of the Honda Civic Type-R for Piston Heads and would like to include owners opinions on all three please (EK9 JDM import only, EP3 and FN2/FD2).
I'm keen to know which models you feel are appreciating in value, which are falling in value and which you feel are most likely to become future classics.
Many thanks,

Guy Baker

Ek9 is appreciating for sure.

Ep3 is at the bottom of its value, maybe even coming back up slightly.

FN2 is in the throws of dropping like a stone. Same for the FD, although they're still holding a good value.

They're all future classics to their respective generations. The EP and FN are so numerous that I doubt they'll ever reach a good value in the future, especially the base models.

I'm currently looking for something b16 powered, there's something about that old powerplant that really tickles my undercarriage. This, after 6 years of k20 and 18 months of Rb26!

My first type r was a 1997 EK9 civic type r it was the first car of a long list of cars I imported by self and I absolutely loved the thing. Best handling car I've ever owned. Went like the clappers and handled like a go kart and the only bit of trouble she ever gave me was the earth screw in the dizzy cap coming loose due to the extreme vibration caused by the vtec and it falling into the cap and chewing it up. At the time it was extremely inconvenient to get sorted but as I found out in later years an extremely common fault with the b series engines. I absolutely loved the thing pound for pound one of the best hot hatches in the world in my opinion.

A well known importer has confirmed anything with a B series in Japan is on the rise, so the EK9 will definitely appreciate

That rise is partly due to new US import laws and the yanks are snapping everything up.

Interesting.....please elaborate and put some meat on your bones so to speak.

Grey imports are banned in America unless they're +25 years. Since the B series engines where released in 89, yanks can now import them. They're importing fresh B series that are from 99, 00 DC2'S, EK9'S etc for JDM points.

All the old school jap stuff now has a much much bigger market but no supply so prices are creeping up. Especially true for R32's and Fairladys etc etc.

Grey imports are banned in America unless they're +25 years. Since the B series engines where released in 89, yanks can now import them. They're importing fresh B series that are from 99, 00 DC2'S, EK9'S etc for JDM points.

All the old school jap stuff now has a much much bigger market but no supply so prices are creeping up. Especially true for R32's and Fairladys etc etc.
So your referring to engines rather than whole units? Interesting I wonder how many whole units are being stripped for engines to increase the value of whole units. Interesting theory you have on it.

Back