• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20a from FD2 Type R (222bhp) wanted

Hi people,

I' am currently building a Honda CRX and was wandering if anybody knows the best place I can purchase a complete FD2 K20a engine and gearbox? I know they are not cheap but where is generally the cheapest place?

Are you sure you'd want the FD2 one? DBW throttle would make it more difficult for an engine swap than a DC5 engine.
Plus they are like hens teeth.

Mugen Euro did have some, but they may be for track use only (un-stamped).

Failing that try Integrastella or the big importers to see if they can source one.

I wanted to go FD2 engine as I have been told they have more aggressive cams, different inlet manifold higher compression pistons bigger throttle body and a different ratio gearbox geared for acceleration, I just think it would save me money later on down the line...

Cams are the same as in the DC5, but the other stuff is right. CR is 11.7 as opposed to 11.5.

You're going to have a real hard time managing it though, you're probably talking standalone engine management and electronic throttle pedal conversion at a minimum. Or go the other way and do a cable throttle conversion on the engine.

DC5 engine you could do on a Kpro IIRC, Hondata on the FD2 engine only reflashes the OEM ECU, so it's limited from a K swap point of view, hence the need for a standalone ECU.

A set of drop in cams, custom headers, intake and a final drive swap in a DC5 engine and gearbox and you'll have a quicker car than a stock FD2 engine without the engine management and throttle headaches.

If you're doing an engine swap then definitely do as Loxy suggests. All manor of issues involved in putting a DBW engine into another car.

It'll still be fun with a UK engine, especially if you go down the custom header and decat route it should make good numbers, but you won't have the LSD and ratios with the gearbox.

Just get a DC5 engine and box, best option. But putting in a K20A2 and box won't be the end of the world. You could drop in some DC5 cams and an LSD and they'd be nigh on the same. Especially since you're going to be running a custom manifold and exhaust.

To be honest I would hate to be sourcing a second hand engine that was already out of the car. It would have to be fully stripped down and inspected for peace of mind.

if I bought a FD2 bare engine, could I bypass the FBW throttle body and wiring just by purchasing a cheap UK K20a2 engine and sourcing the bits from that?

Back