• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 vs Others

I was thinking today whats the FN2 like vs other hot hatches ? ep3's, clio's 182/172, focus st/rs ect and the others just at daily driving and an all round good car ?

Thanks

I've just sold a '13 MK3 Focus ST to buy my second FN2, so I obviously prefer the Civic.

The Focus was faster in a straight line, sounded lovely with the de-res pipe and Mountune intake, and handled on a par with a FN2 on Eibachs with FRSU but so much better dampened over the Civic.

However the steering rack was odd on the Focus, very quick with very little feel around the centre. Plus the Focus went back to the dealers for warranty work 4 times in my ownership including a new steering rack. Oh and the dealers were shocking, didn't carry out work properly and lied to cover it up.

I've never owned a Renault, but the RS Megane is test drove before the Focus didn't feel like it was held together properly. I gave up on the idea when the seat tilt handle came off in my hand.

im 20 and thinking of getting a ep3 or fn2 by the end of the year but i'm torn between them ive been reading threads on here and stuck but i haven't test drove a ep3 or fn2 yet so ill wait until i have tested one, its looking like an ep3 as they are cheaper and i could get one quicker and keep it for a year or two then get a 2009 > fn2 keep it for a while then might get the 2015 type r. but then i watch your videos "drive home" and they quick blast one in the dark and i'm like no the fn2 so i'll have to wait until i test them.

Best way, you'll only know what you prefer once you've driven them.

:D I'm not biased but I like my EP3 Premier edition :D

Loxy FORDs = Fix or repair daily. :D

The Focus was the 6th Ford I'd had, 3rd registered to me (previous ones were the cars I'd driven under parents policies after passing my test).

I've never had anything like the number of faults that I had on my Focus with any of the previous ones, but if it's an indication of how they've gone I won't ever get another.

My first Type R was an EP3. It obviously made an impression but they are getting old now and it shows both inside and out. The steering rack is very slow compared to the FN2, and the high speed stability of the FN2 is much better, so from a driving aesthetics point of view I prefer the FN2, but everyone is different and it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things. Some people can't get on with the looks of the FN2 for example.

True. I'm not a fan of the reg FN2. But I really like the Mugen one as the kit on it to me finishes an FN2 off nicely. My EP3 still looks like new it was well looked after before I got it. And rear independent suspension. FN2 comes with the comforts and electronics.
EP3 is more raw I feel. I am looking forward to getting the KPro done.
so Loxy are you going for dark sports tint climairs?

is their an age limit for a test drive and car dealerships? i think i read somewhere that someone couldn't take a type r out because he was under 24

It all depends on the dealership's policy and what the insurance policy they have covers.

I've had two EP3's and two FN2's. If you get an EP3 it is worth spending the extra on the premier IMHO. Main differences I found between the FN2 and EP3 are the handling. Like Loxy said, the FN2 is much more planted at high speed. It also has more steering feel and is a much better daily. I have two kids so the FN2 was a must for me. Straight line speed is identical as is fuel economy. For me the FN2 is the better car. If you can get an FN2 with an LSD then the handling is brilliant. I took my mates e92 dct M3 out a few weeks back and he drove mine. We both agreed that although the M3 is in a different league speed wise, it was much easier to drive fast in the FN2 and gave you much more confidence. Compared with most hot hatches they are relatively slow in a straight line, and unless you learn to rev match and heal and toe brake then they are difficult to get the most out of. But that is why they are so much fun and after you get used to them they are a unique driving experience.

I would certainly agree that you do need to get used to driving them and that is fun part of learning with these cars.

Personally EP3 for me but Loxy and stayfreejc make valid points as well. I never test drove an FN2 as was always told EP3 is better handling and quicker. This was on another forum. This forum doesn't have the EP3 is better than the FN2 arguments and debates. There is a mutual respect here as at the end of the day both type-Rs. Just your preference.

I also agree that if you want an EP3 it has to be a premier edition. I just think the extras make the car. The privacy glass just finishes them off and the recaros well awesome lol.

Top Gear didn't like the FN2 and some say it was an unfair review.

Best think to do is test drive both and see what you think is suited to you. EP3s are getting harder to find in very good stock condition and millage. Mine had only 39K on the clock when I got her last August. FN2 is a younger car so easier to get a decent example. Can check my EP3 premier in members cars. :D

Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention that although the FN2 feels more planted and has more feel, the EP3 feels more nimble and the playful. As has been mentioned you really need to drive both as they both have their good and bad points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be test driving both then and making a decision, ATM i'm thinking of the ep3 1st because they are cheaper then save up to get a 2009 onwards for the HID ect. I wont really be take the car to its limits or tracking it. the one thing that is still in the back of my mind about the fn2 is that the VTEC kick is non meant to be that strong compared to the ep3 but i would know.

The reason the ep3 kick seems stronger is because their is a dip in power just before it kicks in.

a ep3 might be cheaper to buy but the insurance for a young driver is crazy compared to a fn2. when i was looking around for a type r last year (i was 20) ep3's cost between 3-4k for a decent one compared to 6k for a fn2. however insurance cost on a ep3 would have been 3k for me while a fn2 was 1.2k, i live in a very low risk postcode so can only imagine that because the fn2 has VSA and more airbags/saftey features so are better in the insurance companys eyes. so after insurance you could be looking at 6-7k for a ep3 or 7-8k for a fn2.

unless of course your not getting extortionate quotes for ep3's like i was.

for me and my dad the ep3 it about £1200 and the fn2 is about £1050 ish so its making it harder to choose but once iv'e been in one it should be easier to decided. I was even thinking that if i was going to pay 8k + for an fn2 why not get a DC5 but that will never happen

Being 38 and 8 years NCB my EP3 is £235 fully comp. If I modify it and go with one of our schemes I would be up to £350 fully comp.

But I have not quite been driving it for a year and the last car I drove at nearly 200 BHP was my dads company Ibiza Cupra sport 2.0 L GTi lol so have to wait till after August. To qualify for the club insurance schemes.

That's cheap. I am 30 and I pay £630 but that is with my wife on the insurance who has only been driving 6 months. She actually learnt to drive in an ep3 and took her test in an fn2. Lol

A girl racer wife. :D lol Awesome. We need to see more lady CTR owners. I noticed one of our new members Kirsty is after pink Honda and type R badges.

Back