• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

N77's 30th ANNIVERSARY EP3 TYPE R

N77

I have decided to do a new thread so I can keep track and a record of the progress, the other had my other car which I no longer have, so the Civic deserves its own thread :D

I just cannot get Honda's out of my system and I still miss my previous EP3 to this day, I wish I could of held on to it but at the time it was the right thing to do. So I decided I wanted to go back to where it started and get myself another EP3.

I set myself a budget of £3k and stumbled across an anniversary edition down south, unfortunately that did not materialise and a second Anniversary to appear also was not to standard. I came across this one on the forum but it was over budget by some margin. I had a chat with the owner who said he would come down but not to my budget.

After begging, stealing and borrowing I went and picked up this beauty last April from Silsden, West Yorkshire.

Its a 2003 (Registered 14th Feb) Satin Silver 30th Anniversary Edition, complete Full Honda Service history and fully stamped book including all the paperwork from Honda, invoices, schedule, wheel alignment sheet, all previous MOT certificates, even has the Factory Certificate paper print. I added all the invoices and they came to £4,111.00.

The best thing is it has only covered 55,500 miles but the services were carried out each year regardless of miles covered. Also the interior is unbelievably clean (probably in better condition than mine was), no scratches on the doors, dash it is really mint. Outside the same story really, a scuff on the front skirt that has been touched up is the only thing and the wheels are slightly curbed but nothing major.

Overall I am so pleased I paid more, it might be more than I should of but to get it in this condition I think its worth it. The car feels tight and doesn't seem to of been driven harshly at all, advisory of the MOT of the usual links but I think that was Honda covering themselves. However these will be changed when I come to look at the suspension side of the car anyway.

Unfortunately I don't have many pics as it was dark when I got back from picking it night and I ended up going for a blast yesterday after work :lol: so all I have are these.

2014-05-07202811_zps3f18a6b1.jpg

2014-05-07222505_zps79f764e4.jpg

And all tucked up away from all the crappy weather :lol:

2014-05-07210641_zps594dcf4e.jpg

Although it is clean, its not my clean so this will be addressed, quick once over with the polisher and seal it, then strip out interior for a good clean, I have some DC5 pedals to fit and also some door sills, then I will see what's next :lol:

Time to give it a proper first clean, started with a snow foam rinse and left it to dwell for a bit, most had come off by the time I went to wash it off.

2014-05-10160157_zps805ff4a2.jpg

After the rinse unfortunately it started raining so took put it back in the garage, with a view to carry on today, unfortunately its crap today as well :(

2014-05-10162144_zpscfdd2fa3.jpg

Its pretty clean inside as it is but will give it a once over anyway, seats are in excellent condition. Hopefully have an addition of some JDM mats too shortly.

2014-05-10162221_zpsdaca6b71.jpg

2014-05-10162214_zps617887fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
have a few bits to go on but the weather has been crap, I am going to give it a good going over clay barring, polishing and sealing etc... then strip out the inside, give it a good clean inside, fit some pedals from a DC5 I have and foot rest, carbon effect door sills and a spare dash to dip.

An addition to the car but not a mod.

I am a sucker for having all the paperwork and bits and pieces with a car, I just think it adds that little extra and the history of the vehicle. So having all the paperwork including the service schedules, visual check sheets, wheel alignment sheet as well as the invoices and stamped book is a big plus for me.

I decided to add to it and have obtained an original Type R brochure that would of been printed at the time this would of been on sale, together with the 30th Anniversary brochure leaflet as well.

2014-05-12221310_zps3543014e.jpg

2014-05-12222117_zpsc25e36e5.jpg

Done this on all my Type R's so why stop now, even though it will be useless from October?

ype5u4u8.jpg

dyra5unu.jpg

y3e9epu3.jpg

Would be rude not to give it a clean while bumper was off even though it will never be seen but I will know lol

Well after giving it a good clean for Japshow it was rude not to take a couple of pics of it while it was gleaming :lol:

It was washed, dried, clay barr'd, washed again, dried and the treated to Autobrites Cherry Glaze.

Was quite impressed with the shine considering I didn't manage to polish as well

IMG_5495_zps926107b2.jpg

IMG_5493_zpsb24442e3.jpg

IMG_5494_zps05f270c3.jpg

IMG_5590_zps02c2546b.jpg

IMG_5589_zpsc53aedaf.jpg

IMG_5580_zps315df809.jpg

Also fitted my door sills :D

IMG_5592_zps44ff13a9.jpg

2014-07-15%2018.33.31_zpso2xvfbny.jpg

A little treat for the EP3 arrived today, thanks to Tegiwa for the 10% off discount and quick delivery :D

Will be fitted at the weekend along with a couple of other bits ;)

Decided to test fit them tonight, don't remember fitting them with the clips on the previous R but I must of.

I have been to bed since then though, quite a lot :lol:

IMAG0568_zpsyfxs8ysk.jpg

IMAG0569_zps4gyut6di.jpg

Still can't beat the JDM deflectors, much better than the Heko ones it has to be said :D

My new acquisition for my garage from my old work place fits in a treat.

ujy9y9u9.jpg

And it's starting to fill up nicely with all my cleaning stuff.

Soon to be filled with some other bits when I get round to sorting them out :lol:

ase4a4un.jpg

Think it needs some stickers so if anyone fancies donating any, feel free ;)

Well not done anything for a while and being I like to mess I thought I would have ago at doing a Carbon dipped dash.

I could of just sent one off to Wicked Coatings but have decided to have ago myself.

I started by getting a battered and bruised dash from ebay and also the lower gear stick part.

So far I have primed and sanded so it is nice and smooth for the top coat.

I also went and bought some battered handles as well, and these have been primed, smoothed and painted and just need dipping.

So far so good, but I am just awaiting some more paint, so I can finish the dash off, then I will dip everything together so I can clear coat it all in one swoop.

2014-09-11193626_zpsac329497.jpg

2014-09-11193548_zps5d62aa32.jpg

2014-09-11193557_zps04937e18.jpg

After the Civic had been in hibernation over the winter months, I was planning on heading to Japfest in May but it never happened.

So after a trip to Japshow at Santa Pod this month I have decided to get my act together :lol:

First mods were to Tax and Insure it, then a clean after that time in a dusty garage (I did go and start it up and move it around :lol:)

2015-07-09%2018.37.24_zpsvuarsn1a.jpg

2015-07-09%2018.33.25_zpsubpuspec.jpg

Magifoam left to dwell :D

2015-07-09%2019.21.34_zps6e3hbqvh.jpg

Mainz Car Care Apocolypse getting to work on the wheels and the body in some areas too.

Not focusing too much on the outside just yet, I will be giving it a quick polish but it is not too bad, so will only be a light going over.

The interior is my focus for a few weekends, not only to clean it but to install a few bits and pieces.

JDM YO! :lol:

2015-07-18%2015.30.08_zps7efpsisi.jpg

Makes cleaning and doing stuff in the car so much better with the seats out ;)

2015-07-18%2015.31.23_zps3u53uu44.jpg

If they can sit down, they are certainly not going anywhere :lol:

2015-07-18%2016.26.07_zpssppila4h.jpg

Missing a vital pedal.

This was to install the DC5 pedals I have to swap over, as I had done this on my previous Type R and it adds a nice touch, how it should of been to start with IMO.

While the dash was out to put in the new head unit I fitted the Tegiwa short shifter in place.

2015-07-19%2013.27.10_zpsecfr3hzl.jpg

2015-07-19%2015.30.21_zpsawnoamat.jpg

2015-07-19%2013.27.17_zpsmuzkpdv9.jpg

Dash removed, it was time to test fit the head unit, so all the bits have to be taken off just to get to the screws :roll:

2015-07-19%2013.45.46_zpsledxjr3w.jpg

Test fitted the double din surround and was impressed with the fit, really does make it look OEM.

I went for the black as having the silver is a bit hit and miss if it matches, so this goes better IMO.

Decided to keep the standard dash for the moment, still not managed to do anything with the spare I have, but have the silver vent covers to go on so will be in keeping with the silver anyway.

Stereo fitted, I did try the bits that came with the double din surround but found the standard one works better, and has the supports to fit it back in the car better. All that came with the dash adaptor were 2 metal brackets that fitted to either side of the opening.

2015-07-19%2013.45.18_zpsww66tfc2.jpg

Next job was to remove the door cards so even more stripping of the interior....

IMAG1171_zpsxy35gmtt.jpg

IMAG1173_zpstj0753j1.jpg

With them removed and the speakers removed I test fitted the speakers I have going in, they are Pioneer TS-M171PRS.

Its TarmacNymph's old sounds...

IMG-20150723-WA0003_zps30iwerxo.jpeg

These compared to the standard ones are miles apart, the magnets are huge which means some door modifications.

They are going to be matched up to the Pioneer TS-T031PRS tweeters with crossovers mounted in the doors.

I had bought the OEM tweeter mounts some time ago without knowing what tweeters will go in, however with a slight trim these fitted in perfectly to the OEM ones, I could not of planned it any better if I had tried :lol:

2015-07-192017.32.23_zpsqjsia5xz.jpg

ccb6ef3b-72c8-4df2-abdf-054275067ec5_zpslnjfbtfo.jpg

Extra bit of space required for the speakers to fit, so a bit of metal has had to be cut, still need to smooth them off and protect them, but sound deadening and spacers are also due to go on too.

IMAG1172_zpsi3zsloib.jpg

And after a fair amount of fiddling, cable is through into both doors so this will go straight to the amp from the crossover, rather than using the OEM wiring :D

IMAG1174_zps6h6gund3.jpg

I don't think you like type Rs lol. If I had gone for a preface lift it would of been the 30th Anniversary one too. Looks mint for the age. My premier had 39K on it when bought last August.

A good threat N77. I thought you couldn't get the Honda access wind deflectors anymore lol FairPlay. I do like them. Where did you get the door sills from? I would love a set of those.

Looking forward to the rest of your plans for the Car. :D

Love the amount of work and time going into this, cant wait to get another one too and make it really special.

:smt023

I don't think you like type Rs lol. If I had gone for a preface lift it would of been the 30th Anniversary one too. Looks mint for the age. My premier had 39K on it when bought last August.

A good threat N77. I thought you couldn't get the Honda access wind deflectors anymore lol FairPlay. I do like them. Where did you get the door sills from? I would love a set of those.

Looking forward to the rest of your plans for the Car. :D

I bought the wind deflectors July last year, so it looks like it was the last batch by the looks of it

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

So not much has happened today, I was hoping to get most of it done but thanks to the weather it has put a stop to that.

I managed to get one door sorted, sound deadening placed on the inside of the door as well as around the speaker, speaker adaptor and speaker installed and the cables ready to attach the crossover, then the door card can go back on.

IMAG1177_zpsnqph5xeq.jpg

IMAG1178_zpsdh7k1ulg.jpg

You can just see the sound deadening through the holes in the above photo.

IMAG1181_zpsbyqvozvc.jpg

IMAG1180_zpsruakpsad.jpg

Splash shield plastic back in place and speaker fitted, ready to have the crossover added and fixed to the door card.

I did notice that some of the sticky sealant stuff has wore off at the bottom and all crap is coming through, so this will be sorted before the door card is re-fitted.

May get the chance to have a go at the other door tomorrow as long as the weather is on my side, have this week off but some of the week is already catered for so we shall see.

While the dash was out to put in the new head unit I fitted the Tegiwa short shifter in place.

2015-07-19%2013.27.10_zpsecfr3hzl.jpg

2015-07-19%2015.30.21_zpsawnoamat.jpg

How easy was the shifter to fit mate? Do you plan on doing the shifter bushes too? I'm looking to do both of these in the near future. Looks like you're doing a proper job on the sound deadening and speaker install....another thing that's on my to-do list haha!

How easy was the shifter to fit mate? Do you plan on doing the shifter bushes too? I'm looking to do both of these in the near future. Looks like you're doing a proper job on the sound deadening and speaker install....another thing that's on my to-do list haha!
Yeah pretty straight forward, I had already got the dash out so it was easier.

It just fits over the existing mechanism, the hardest bit is to remove the part that's attached to the existing part, it's just fiddly trying to get your hands into a tight space really.

I do plan on replacing the shifter bushes and the connectors on the gearbox as well, I nearly got the kit from Tegiwa to fit them at the same time but never got around to it.

Will get them at some point though.

Cheers mate. Not looked into connectors on the gearbox....assuming this is worth changing at the same time as the bushes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they are easy to get to once the airbox is removed, you don't have to do it at the same time but if you have the kit at the same time you might as well get it working from day one together I guess.

I ordered what I thought were the correct lead adaptors but they have come and they are the wrong ones, so need to change them.

Managed to get the other side done now so both speakers are installed using spacers and I have put extra sound deadening around them too.

IMAG1185_zps6snqudc7.jpg

IMAG1184_zps4sojhnoj.jpg

Going to reseal both doors as well while I am at it as it seems to be leaking towards the bottom.

Also now the centre console is out I am going to give it a good Hoover and clean to freshen it up, then everything can go back together once the power cable is through and it's all been cleaned.

Back