• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT Friendly Setup

Hi guys,

I have been browsing through a number of threads but didn't find anything that cleared this up. I know the better option for gains would be to go decat and switch back for the MOT but just wondered which setups people have that will pass as it is. The nuts and flanges from manifold to cat & cat to b-pipe are pretty badly rusted on my EP3 and I'm looking to replace them with new shiney bits but research has been inconclusive. I am considering the follwing but have read mixed reviews on the Japspeed Sports Cat: Japspeed Sports Cat - SuperSprint Unsilenced B-Pipe - OEM Backbox.

Would like something with a nice sound when giving it some but not too far from standard on a normal drive & something that will pass an MOT without any messing around. It's my daily driver and won't be used on track days so want it to be kept road legal....if possible ;)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

It is a difficult one, it depends on how much power you will want. You'll probably need a map when changing the cat for a sports cat or the EML light will come on.

Piper do a manifold with sports cat but doesn't give as good gains as others. I spoke to TDI North who don't favour the Piper and when I asked about the Japspeed 4-1 or 4-2 manifold with sports cat they said it's not much difference between it and an OEM set up, they even said they have seen some cars lose power I advised me I would be better off staying OEM given the price of a new manifold and sports cat.

I just got a DC5 manifold and cat which are slightly better than the OEM EP3's and will pass an MOT just collecting my parts and then I'll get them fitted and mapped at the same time (will probably take a while loll).

The set up you're looking at will be pretty quiet you'll get a raspy sound when in vtec. But if you're changing the cat you may as well change the manifold too.
There are not many choices though, you got the Piper, Mugen (which is £££), the Japspeed which your looking at or OEM. I don't think you would get a 15 bhp gain by changing the cat even with a map tbh, with a manifold and cat maybe.

Either way you will need a cat for an MOT but changing this and the manifold will require a map.

Thanks for that Shoonk, very helpful. Obviously everyone wants more power but I don't want to spend ridiculous money trying to get there! By the sounds of it a sports cat won't be worth it so I will probably just change the b-pipe for an unsilenced stainless steel one and replace the nuts, bolts and gaskets on the rest of the exhaust. I'll keep the OEM cat and BackBox for now! I take it a map wouldn't be required for that and I should have no issues with MOT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't need a map for that it'll run fine and it will pass MOT.

You can run an induction and catback without a map, it won't cause any issues, obviously a map would get the best out of them though.

You only need to map when you change exhaust manifold and cat and/or inlet manifold and obviously bigger mods, cams, forced induction etc.

I'm the same, I want to keep mine OEM looking and don't want any issues come MOT time, I do want more power though but I know I won't make as much as others with the mods I am planning but it will gain though so I'll be happy llol.

Hi Shoonk, quick one. I'm having to replace the cat back oem as one of the tails broke. I know what I want (spoon b-pipe and cat back) but likely to just go with a cheaper option for the time being. Considering japspeed (b pipe and cat back) but unsure if it will pass mot? I´m not changing the cat so I believe it will be alright for mot having a b pipe and cat back. Any thoughts?
Cheers

Changing the b pipe will be fine for the MOT. Some testers can be picky if its excessively loud and give an advisory but not many do.

The only issues you will have come MOT time is if you decat it or change the exhaust manifold for a 421 race manifold which will do away with the cat as you need the cat to pass the emission test.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

I have a 200 cel sports cat, non-res mid pipe and scorpion back box. Stock ecu/not mapped. Needed a 90 degree o2 spacer to turn off eml. Straight through 2 MOTs and no running issues at all.

I have the DC5 manifold and cat along with full supersprint catback.
Passed MOT (in Portugal) and with a lovely racing sound.

Back