• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 VS. DC5 Weight Comparison

I have always read that UK ep3 are so much heavier than dc5, and so much heavier than an import ep3.

I read about all the differences etc. but the numbers didn't seem to add up.

Last week, a close mate of mine bought a bone stock pre-facelift DC5.

The week before I had gotten myself another ep3, this one is a facelift, also bone stock.

So we took them to the weigh bridge...

CAR DETAILS:

Facelift EP3
Air Con
Front Fog Lights

Pre-facelift DC5
Air Con
No Rear Wiper

There were no other mods done to these vehicles, stock exhaust, stock wheels, stock size tyres, stock air box etc.

Both cars had all the fluids required to drive it, and both cars had half a tank of fuel.

E52198A7-BE2C-4240-8B14-4F31E6A3A416_zps8rusjd74.jpg

39A909BE-B264-4391-B406-B4ECE3602D9A_zps5dfigpo3.jpg

203B88AC-B544-4CBF-B152-8BD743F335B4_zpsus8jgcps.jpg

Both cars were weighed on the same weigh bridge, one after the other, with no driver.

EP3 : 1220Kg
DC5 : 1200Kg

Conclusion, as the facelift EP3 is heavier than a pre-facelift EP3, it seems the weight of the cars is very similar.
It is also evident that the UK EP3 isn't 100Kg or so heavier than a DC5 as some websites suggest.

Just thought I would share what I had found.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Opportunity arose today to compare the weight of the standard wheels and tyres...

Standard DC5 wheel with standard size tyre (215/45/17) Goodyear eagle F1

Standard EP3 wheel with standard size tyre (205/45/17) Continental Contactsport 3

Excuse the crude measuring equipment, but the difference in weight is evident.

EP3: 17.5kg

DC5: 19.5kg

Top work that man. Nothing like a bit of 'ground truth' to dispell the internet snowball myths.

Still surprised the UKDM is heavier, the DC5 looks the bigger car in general and when you consider things like the smaller roll bars, brakes, etc on the UKDM, I'd have thought it'd be the other way around. Maybe that EPC weighs a load Vs hydraulic DC5 unit?

When I set my corner weights, my EP3 was bang on 1200kg (half a tank of fuel, A/C fitted) although not completely standard, can't imagine I lost 20kg with the modifications I have.
As with the wheels, the amount of tread can change the weight by as much as a few kg. DC5 rim is also an extra inch wider so a DC5 rim will obviously be a little heavier.

Top work that man. Nothing like a bit of 'ground truth' to dispell the internet snowball myths.

Still surprised the UKDM is heavier, the DC5 looks the bigger car in general and when you consider things like the smaller roll bars, brakes, etc on the UKDM, I'd have thought it'd be the other way around. Maybe that EPC weighs a load Vs hydraulic DC5 unit?

Yeh I agree it is surprising. It is nice to stop myths from snowballing also. I'll update this thread with anything else I find.

When I set my corner weights, my EP3 was bang on 1200kg (half a tank of fuel, A/C fitted) although not completely standard, can't imagine I lost 20kg with the modifications I have.
As with the wheels, the amount of tread can change the weight by as much as a few kg. DC5 rim is also an extra inch wider so a DC5 rim will obviously be a little heavier.

Things I have read in the past have indicated that the DC5 wheels are lighter. I only had the opportunity to measure it with the tyre fitted, however it appears that they are slightly heavier...Albeit that the tyre is larger, and a different make.

I couldn't possibly comment on the weight of your ep3 as there are too many variables, I am only sharing what I have found. Take that as you may.

I very much doubt that a few mm of tread difference on a single tyre could equate to "a few kg" however, I will let you make your own minds up on that. If I have an opportunity to compare those weights also, I will.

Also, DC5 wheels aren't an inch wider. They are 17x7J ET41, whereas EP3 wheels are 17x7J ET45

Back