• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

been 20 and wanting a type r

any one help with the best insurance looked around on here and most wont cover me because i'm 20 with 0 ncb because i'm under my dads insurance at the moment.

i would like an type r for my dad and me its £1,300 and then for me and my dad £4,000

anyone know any insurance that is cheap for me as named driver or other way around ?

You'll struggle for cheap insurance being young and having 0 ncb.
You will either have to pay a high premium or wait until you're older.

You need to build your own ncb otherwise insurance will always be mega expensive. You'd be better off buying something cheap like an old feista zetec s and going on your own insurance.

Whoever is going to be the main driver on the insurance needs to be the main driver on the policy. If you are planning on driving the car most of the time but put your dad as the main driver, then it is called "Fronting," and is illegal and if caught out you won't be covered by your policy and can get points and banned as such.

As above, you'll just have to get some no-claims and a few more years under your belt. It gets cheaper over 21 and up.

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

The best way to get cheap insurance would probably be to have a sex change...

No, seriously!

have a sex change to a girl and then you'll have way cheaper insurance! :)

if you don't want to do that you could also move house, very rural areas(north west Scotland) tend to have much cheaper insurance rates. Especially in comparison to somewhere like Swansea which has the highest car crime rate in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much these days following the gender equalisation measures that took effect in 2012, impacting insurance premiums.

http://www.gocompare.com/gender/

According to a study of over seven million actual car insurance searches carried out on Gocompare.com in 2012-13, nearly all age groups saw a reduction in the amount they were quoted.

The figures, based on quotes carried out on our site between 1 November, 2012 and 30 November, 2013, showed that the overall reduction in premiums for men and women was £146. The average premium for anyone quoting for motor insurance with Gocompare.com in that period was £820, compared with £966 in November 2012.

In fact, according to the research, only women aged 17-20 saw a rise in their premiums, and that was only £9 (£1,706 in November 2013 compared with £1,697 in November 2012).

Men of the same age saw the biggest drop in the prices quoted, with the average premium coming in at £2,358, as compared with £3,293 - a reduction of £936.

Women overall saw a drop in premiums of £59, so the average price of a quote for car insurance was £719 in November 2013, compared to £778 in November 2012. Women aged 45-49 enjoyed the largest decrease, a reduction of £138.

Men saw a much larger overall drop of £205, with the average price in November 2013 being £890 compared to £1,095 in November 2012. However, the research revealed that men aged 65 and over saw the smallest drop in prices, with premiums dropping by only £26.

I remember when those laws actually came into afect. I rejoiced as a young male driver! Although it's true that insurance premiums have went down recently thier is still an obvious lean toward girls for cheaper insurance. If you go onto an insurance comparison site, set up an identity, get a quote. Then go back and change nothing but the gender. Young girls still seem to have much cheaper insurance..

Which leaves me confused.. The equilisation measures didn't really do what they where supposed to. Admittedly they did help.

I remember when those laws actually came into afect. I rejoiced as a young male driver! Although it's true that insurance premiums have went down recently thier is still an obvious lean toward girls for cheaper insurance. If you go onto an insurance comparison site, set up an identity, get a quote. Then go back and change nothing but the gender. Young girls still seem to have much cheaper insurance..

Which leaves me confused.. The equilisation measures didn't really do what they where supposed to. Admittedly they did help.
That's because what actually happened was they charged female drivers more to make them 'equal' :(

I couldn't insure one until I was 21 even though I had my own ncb etc, even at 21 I paid well over a grand! The main difference was when I turned 25 it was only then my premiums dropped by a considerable amount.

But get a nice cheap car for a few years and build up your ncb, it's a right pain but we've all probably had to do it that way.

I couldn't insure one until I was 21 even though I had my own ncb etc, even at 21 I paid well over a grand! The main difference was when I turned 25 it was only then my premiums dropped by a considerable amount.

But get a nice cheap car for a few years and build up your ncb, it's a right pain but we've all probably had to do it that way.
Yeah we all had to start somewhere!

I think we can all agree that our first car was sh*t, 54hp Fiat Siecento.
Good thing it only cost £20 and a bottle of whiskey! Lol

L reg fiesta 1.3lx, a farmer owned this to run hay etc up to his farm, fun cleaning that out llol. Plus no stereo so I used a battery powered portable stereo with a tape deck until I could get one! :lol:, those were the days!

R reg 1.0 Polo, still remember the plate all these years later!!! It would cause traffic going uphill due to the amazing engine

Back