• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best Oil and Filter for EP3's

ive used shell helix 5-30 and fuchs titan 5-40 and the only thing i found is with the 5-30 it sipped a bit over 6 months and the 5-40 its stayed on max mark since full change 2 months ago.Ive always used honda or hamp oil filters too.

Findings? I use OEM oils, that manufacturers put in cars from the factory. The same oils race teams use. You wouldn't see BMW or other manufacturers putting in Fuchs into any of their cars.

What's different about Fuchs oil to Shell oil exactly just curious? Cant be much difference surely correct me if i'm wrong :)

What's different about Fuchs oil to Shell oil exactly just curious? Cant be much difference surely correct me if i'm wrong :)
All oils meet a certain specification, not just the grade. So check what is recommended for the CTR and what is on the oils you put in.

Some cheaper Castrol oils compared to Fuchs actually exceed the specs.

ive used shell helix 5-30 and fuchs titan 5-40 and the only thing i found is with the 5-30 it sipped a bit over 6 months and the 5-40 its stayed on max mark since full change 2 months ago.Ive always used honda or hamp oil filters too.

Yep same with my CTR. 5W-40 stays pretty much at max. But the 5W-30 would burn off more over the same period of time.

Findings? I use OEM oils, that manufacturers put in cars from the factory. The same oils race teams use. You wouldn't see BMW or other manufacturers putting in Fuchs into any of their cars.

Bit late on this, only just saw it, but Fuchs factory fill a lot of BMWs. Car companies don't make their own oils, they get the oils made by oil companies and then brand it as their own.

Cheers

Tim

All decent oil manufacturers will have comparable oils. Like the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w-30 is similar to the Fuchs GT1 Pro C3 5w-30 in terms of the specs they meet and the kind of use they are aimed at. Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is similar to the Fuchs Supersyn/Supersyn Longlife 5w-40 (depending on application), which is also similar to the Mobil Super 3000 5w-40 or Motul X-Cess 5w-40. The big oil companies like Castrol, Shell and Mobil don't have an ester based range aimed specifically at performance use though. Motul 300V, Red Line, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Fuchs Pro S and Gulf Competition are all top end performance oils that are designed to give the best protection during hard use (and they give the best all round protection), rather than meeting manufacturers specifications for long life servicing and low emissions.

Cheers

Tim

All decent oil manufacturers will have comparable oils. Like the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w-30 is similar to the Fuchs GT1 Pro C3 5w-30 in terms of the specs they meet and the kind of use they are aimed at. Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is similar to the Fuchs Supersyn/Supersyn Longlife 5w-40 (depending on application), which is also similar to the Mobil Super 3000 5w-40 or Motul X-Cess 5w-40. The big oil companies like Castrol, Shell and Mobil don't have an ester based range aimed specifically at performance use though. Motul 300V, Red Line, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Fuchs Pro S and Gulf Competition are all top end performance oils that are designed to give the best protection during hard use (and they give the best all round protection), rather than meeting manufacturers specifications for long life servicing and low emissions.

Cheers

Tim
Thank you explained that well for me! learn something new every day! :)

Bit late on this, only just saw it, but Fuchs factory fill a lot of BMWs. Car companies don't make their own oils, they get the oils made by oil companies and then brand it as their own.

Cheers

Tim

Which BMWs? Last I knew, Castrol were the major oil supplier for BMW.

The big oil companies like Castrol, Shell and Mobil don't have an ester based range aimed specifically at performance use though.

Cheers

Tim
If this is true, then why do BMW use and recommend Castrol 10W-60 for their M engines (or did the last I knew)? It's also the same oil used in the Bugatti Veyron.

Hi

Castrol were one of the factory fill companies and also did the dealership oils, but Fuchs also supplied factory fill oils (car manufacturers will usually have 2 or 3 oil companies for factory fill to cover delays in supply). To my knowledge, Shell is the new dealership oil for BMWs and I assume they will be doing factory fill as well.

The Castrol Edge 10w-60 is a bit of an oddity in that it is a Castrol oil that does have an ester content, but it's not a whole range, just the one off. The Magnatec does as well, but according to the information we were given, the amount is so low that it doesn't really do much and the Magnatec is not really a performance oil.

Cheers

Tim

Back