• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Partyvan's 270bhp N/A track slut

Back to the CRX I made the trip once more to MIJ exhausts, who'd seen pictures of the system they made and told me it could be made quieter with an additional box. Arriving at MIJ they told me they couldn't fit any more boxes in! Total waste of time!

In frustration I headed home, then on to Cadwell for a noise test, to end all doubt on the system one way or another.

Cadwell says NO

116db is beyond any regular UK track day.

I'm going to have to drop down to 2.5" exhaust and lose power :(

Today saw a Frustrating session at Santa Pod... it started leaking clutch fluid and coolant. Managed a 13.2 @ 118mph.

Drag racing front wheel drive is like playing football with your shoelaces tied. And in the case of naturally aspirated, with your pants rounds your ankles too.

I'm on a bit of a downer with this car tbh!

On the plus side I had a wicked day at Cadwell in the TT. It was wet for most of the day, so me and the car were in our element!

I overtook 30+ cars, including several Caterhams and a BMW M4 owned by an absolute **** who was very rude to my brother in law. I wasn't overtaken once!

It didn't last though, the DSG box overheated. I need to remedy this before my Ring trip.I also managed to boil the brakes, so more work needed there too.

Here's a video of the quarter mile from Pod :)
[video=youtube;yJiHx-Z7XmI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJiHx-Z7XmI[/video]

I've been doing suspension upgrades on the TT! Lots of them. More on that soon.

I've also been working on the DSG overheating issue and decided on functional bonnet vents.

My first task was to mask up the bonnet, then draw on a centreline, and reference lines to areas of single skin construction.

Next I drilled the corners of the hole, with a 2mm bit followed by a 20mm hole cutter

I then joined the 20mm holes with the jigsaw

And finally painted the exposed metal, and bonded in the vents. Job done!

Here's a little video of the TT at a wet Cadwell Park, against a Caterham and a BMW M4.

[video=youtube;9g92EOAxNTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g92EOAxNTA[/video]

CRX update: In tomorrow for an exhaust!

TT update:

I did a restoration on the headlights, including UV protection. Pictures don't do them justice I'm afraid!
lights_zps1diywu9s.jpg

And I had a sunstrip fitted, an absolute must on any car in my opinion :)
sunstrip2_zps9smfbiuw.jpg

It's also now polybushed and awaiting geometry setup and DSG remap

What a busy week! The CRX has been in at Flux Fabrications for a few days having the new exhaust made.

Here's it is on the bench. Middle section weighing next to nothing!

All finished, with burnt tips. 10.2kg weight saving over the original 3" system. And down from 116db to 92db static. Happy days!

Massive thanks to Jack @ Flux Fabrications. I can't recommend his skill, hospitality and expertise enough.

Cadwell Park trackday coming soon, after a couple of repairs!

Loving this thread. That exhaust is a work of art. I’ve got a huge soft spot for crx’s, do you use it much on the road? If so I will have to keep an eye out for you as I’m in Lincoln. Cheers

Loving this thread. That exhaust is a work of art. I’ve got a huge soft spot for crx’s, do you use it much on the road? If so I will have to keep an eye out for you as I’m in Lincoln. Cheers

I built it for mainly track use, and the odd weekend blast... but since completing it it's utterly dire to drive on the road. Hitting a catseye in it is like hitting a pothole in an EP3. It's awkward to get in and out of. It's really uncomfortable!

So I SORN'd it last month and don't plan on using it on the road much, if ever again! :/

Last week I finished off the aero mods on the CRX

The front splitter was made with 3mm aluminium sheet, supported by steel pipe, crushed at the ends to make a mating surface and bent in a vice to the correct angle to allow it to mount to the splitter and the car frame. The whole lot was then powdercoated black.

The rear diffuser was similar, with cutouts to clear the towing eye and backbox. It then had fins made from the same material, riveted onto 90 degree brackets

I was then told the front splitter would never clear The Mountain at Cadwell Park, so that was removed. I then headed out to Cadwell for its first ever track outing. This was a shakedown test to check reliability and test various systems on the car.

It's a little down on power lately, it gets fuel surge and there's a couple of changes I need to make but overall it went well.

Here's my first couple of steady out laps, excuse the camera shake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc1wiyBpmQ&t=95s

Here's a cool trackside video of me smashing my diffuser
https://youtu.be/vykWn20b3l4

I was at a fairly steady pace, and clocked a 1min 46, equalling my PB. To go quicker, I need to ask more of the car. It can give so much more, the lack of weight gives it the ability to push hard the whole lap. I didn't even get the tyres squealing!

Now I need to decide on whether to do another trackday in it, or start early on the modifications to prepare it for the Ring next year.

Back