• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Partyvan's 270bhp N/A track slut

I'd say more track days for accumulative R&D to better understand what you're likely to need / want prior to the 'Ring, as don't think a singular shakedown will provide you with all the potential quirks that need ironing out. IMO.

Sorted my headlight gap out with these 3d printed headlight blanks. There's a cold air duct in one of them too, which lines up with the intake. And it's a 5kg weight saving!

Just an update on my CRX's weight saving programme

Phase 1 is now complete:
Bespoke lightweight wiring loom
Aluminium calipers
Titanium exhaust
FRP wings
FRP bonnet
FRP bumpers
Sunroof delete
Headlights delete

Phase 2 is now underway:

Firslty these are on order from Radical. I am going to completely remove the door wiring and also look at removing the boot latches / hinges.

Secondly I will be installing perspex windows

Thirdly I will be making some detail weight savings with titanium fasteners, changing the intake pipe to titanium etc

I am hoping for a mega low kerb weight :)

Panels have arrived! Mega light.

fg0.jpg

fg1.jpg

fg2.jpg

fgx.png

I estimate the OEM boodlid is around 25-30kg with glass. The glass extends to the vertical face as well, adding more weight. The new bootlid is under 2kg, maybe ~5kg with acrylic windows in it.

Doors are less of a saving maybe 15kg each side as I'll be binning all wiring, regulators, glass and of course the steel.

I've now decided to move on from this, to a new project so it'll be sold/stripped shortly. New project won't be a Honda unfortunately!

It's been a pleasure gents.

What is the next project likely to be then? You don't seem to do them by the half!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

The Calibra seems somewhat out of its depth amongst the rest of that list. A car that you've wanted since you were young, perhaps?

I'd say Calibra and rs4 stand out on the list, I'd certainly prefer the other 3! But whatever you go for I'm sure you won't be half assing it.

Please update on here when you do decide.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Thanks gents I'll keep you updated. FK2 had a look in, but I was quite disappointed on a test drive.

I'd say Calibra and rs4 stand out on the list, I'd certainly prefer the other 3! But whatever you go for I'm sure you won't be half assing it.

Please update on here when you do decide.

In it's defence the RS4 is 4WD so will be good on wet trackdays. And has carbon ceramics available, and is cheap compared to the others!

The Calibra seems somewhat out of its depth amongst the rest of that list. A car that you've wanted since you were young, perhaps?

Calibra's are criminally underrated. Strong chassis and aerodynamics - DTM winning against Alfa, Mercedes etc, BTCC winning (as a Cavalier) against everything including Hondas and BMW. Also the fastest street legal car in the world a few years back was a Calibra. The turbos are immensely tuneable, grippy and fun.

I'm not sure how comparable the DTM car would be to anything you'd find on the road. The engine faced north-south, it had active pushrod suspension and most of the front end replaced with bespoke carbon structure. By the end of the series in 96 they were arguably more advanced than F1 cars.

635493.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true for DTM, but in fairness it's rivals were also highly tuned. BTCC was much more akin to road cars and the Calibra improved on the Cavalier in many ways.

I'll see how an NSX compares to it before writing one of them off.

I remember when I was a teenager there was a guy a few roads away that had the Lotus (Cavalier) Carlton. Was a beautiful looking machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back