• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Snapped lower rear shock bolt Ep3

Went to put my Eibach Pro Kit on yesterday.
Decided to start at the rear end, as I knew I wouldn't have any issues with the front, having done the top mounts recently.
Jacked the car up and proceeded to undo the lower 17mm bolts on both sides. The offside seems ok, so I moved over to the near side. What can I say, it was seized solid !!
I tried everything I could to undo the bolt, but nothing worked. Ended up snapping the head off the bolt. Now I'm stuck with a bolt that I'm going to struggle to get out without destroying the rear shock.
Space is limited, so I can't get a full sized drill in place. Looking at buying a 90 degree drill attachment.
Having checked out the Internet, it seems that the bushing in the middle of the shock might be the problem.
I thought about cutting the captive nut off of the lower control arm and chapping the bolt out of the hole.
Obviously, I would need to replace with the appropriate nut and bolt, as I would no longer have the captive nut on the control arm.
The only thing is that people are saying that they have done this and the bolt still won't come out ?
I could just try drilling the bolt out, or I could butcher the shock, but I'd rather try save the shock.

Having lowered literally loads of cars over the years, I have never had a problem with an M10 bolt !

Anyone had this issue before ? Any suggestions on how the hell to get this thing out ??

Thanks in advance !

Yep, had the same problem, I cut the captured nut off and the head of the bolt and could not get it out, so had to cut either side of the shock inside the mount and f**ked up the shocker, but got another standard one and put a stainless M10 through, incidental mine was seized on the nearside, it rusted in the bush and was flexing.!

I used a small grinder to cut it, but it is millimeters from the plastic fuel tank - BE CAREFULL.......

crowds

Oh JOBBY !

I was worried that I might have to go down this road !
So, drilling it out is going to be a long shot. I'd probably end up damaging the bushing in the shock and having to replace it anyway.
Looks like I better buy a good used shock from eBay. Need to crack out the grinder then. Got rear drop links to do also, so I may as well cut them off while I'm there. The fronts needed cutting, so the rears will be the same.
Im still using the car, all be it, no more than I have to right now.
The bolt snapped right at the head, so the rest of it is still in place. I managed to destroy a ring spanner and a 3/8 - 1/2 inch step down.
I usually enjoy working on cars, but I'm feeling my age now when rolling around on the ground wrestling nuts and bolts !

Thank you for the reply, Crowds.

Much appriciated !

Yep, had the same problem, I cut the captured nut off and the head of the bolt and could not get it out, so had to cut either side of the shock inside the mount and f**ked up the shocker, but got another standard one and put a stainless M10 through, incidental mine was seized on the nearside, it rusted in the bush and was flexing.!

I used a small grinder to cut it, but it is millimeters from the plastic fuel tank - BE CAREFULL.......

crowds

Hey Crowds,

I managed to get the shock off of the car. What a fcuking nightmare ! It's a tough job to get in with a grinder or a hacksaw.
I managed to get so far through the captive nut and both sides of the shock. The mounting point took a bit of a pounding, but it will be perfectly fine. You're right about the bolt not coming out after cutting off the captive nut. That bugger was seized solid in the shock bushing.
I managed to get a good used shock from EBay, so I went ahead and fitted my Eibach Pro Springs. All in, the whole lot took me around 4.5 hours on the ground. Won't be doing that again anytime soon !!!!
The odd thing is that the nearside rear is 10mm higher than the offside rear ?? Went round to a friends house and had a look at his Ep3, with the same springs fitted. Both cars are 06 Ep3's and both cars sit 10mm higher on the nearside rear than the offside.
I had this exact same problem with my pervious Fn2 on Eibach springs. It sat higher on the nearside rear also :confused:

Rourkey555, good job done, I know it's a right b*****d,

Ride height, I've the same springs on my 2002 EP3 - I'll check and let you know

crowds

Rourkey555, good job done, I know it's a right b*****d,

Ride height, I've the same springs on my 2002 EP3 - I'll check and let you know

crowds

Ha ! Yes, it's put me off fitting anymore springs in the near future !
I done the strut top mounts not that long ago, and fecked up the track rod ends.
who's smart idea was it to attach them to the shock ? First time I've seen this setup.
I replaced the track rod ends at the time, but of course, they didn't want to play ball when doing the springs. Managed to get the drivers side out, but had to completely unscrew the passenger side from the steering rack. Didn't want to destroy the new track rod end.
What a carry on !!!!

As for the ride height. I've had this on my last 2 Honda's and I had it on a Yaris T Sport I owned years ago.
Its odd, but if the car is on level ground and you measure from the centre of the arch to the top of your alloy wheel, you'll note any difference.
Our cars are measuring 90mm from arch to wheel on the drivers side and 100mm on the passenger side, from what I remember.
Weird !!!

Thanks in advance !

Hey Crowds,

I managed to get the shock off of the car. What a fcuking nightmare ! It's a tough job to get in with a grinder or a hacksaw.
I managed to get so far through the captive nut and both sides of the shock. The mounting point took a bit of a pounding, but it will be perfectly fine. You're right about the bolt not coming out after cutting off the captive nut. That bugger was seized solid in the shock bushing.
I managed to get a good used shock from EBay, so I went ahead and fitted my Eibach Pro Springs. All in, the whole lot took me around 4.5 hours on the ground. Won't be doing that again anytime soon !!!!
The odd thing is that the nearside rear is 10mm higher than the offside rear ?? Went round to a friends house and had a look at his Ep3, with the same springs fitted. Both cars are 06 Ep3's and both cars sit 10mm higher on the nearside rear than the offside.
I had this exact same problem with my pervious Fn2 on Eibach springs. It sat higher on the nearside rear also :confused:
I think there will be a difference due to how the weight in the car is distributed, you sit on the offside...

Plus it'll need some time to settle in too.

I think there will be a difference due to how the weight in the car is distributed, you sit on the offside...

Plus it'll need some time to settle in too.

My Pal Daryl from around the corner has the Pro Kit fitted also. He did say that it took a little time for the springs to settle.
Having said that, his car is exactly the same on 1 - 2 year old springs. It sits 10mm higher on the nearside rear corner.
I get what you're saying, but it's only that corner that sits out. The front seems fine.
As i've said, this has happened to me with my previous FN2 on the same corner. It also happened years ago on a Yaris T Sport.
I'm not sure which corner that was as it was years ago. Seems like it's a pretty common theme.
I bet it's the same on most cars that have been lowered on springs. It's just fussy buggers like me that notice !

Cheers

Hi, just measured my EP3 (empty) with the same springs, benn on it for about a year. The fronts are the same (engine/transmission wieght) and the offside rear is 8 cms higher which kinda makes sense I suppose as when I get in (80 kg) it levels up ?

crowds

Hi, just measured my EP3 (empty) with the same springs, benn on it for about a year. The fronts are the same (engine/transmission wieght) and the offside rear is 8 cms higher which kinda makes sense I suppose as when I get in (80 kg) it levels up ?

crowds

That's weird !!
My car is 10mm higher on the offside rear and so is my pal from round the corner.
Both cars 06 Ep3's, not that the year makes any difference. Both on Pro Kit springs.

It's obviously something that we will have to live with, but it's damn annoying !!!

Thanks !

I have Eibach springs to put on mine in the new year. I've got Bilstein shocks on the back that came on the car. Hoping that since the shocks have been out before I won't have any issues but I'm dreading it in case I do.

I have Eibach springs to put on mine in the new year. I've got Bilstein shocks on the back that came on the car. Hoping that since the shocks have been out before I won't have any issues but I'm dreading it in case I do.

I've got my fingers crossed for you that they come out okay mate. I'm changing the lowered springs back to standard ones, so I'm positive the bolts didn't have any anti sieze compound applied when they were refitted previously. Seen a few posts saying it's a 17mm hex head on an M10 bolt, but the ones I removed were 16mm hex head on a M12 bolt, so keep your eye open for that (there's probably a change of bolt in the production somewhere)

Back