• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Kenz's DC5.

Hi everyone. Just picked up my first type r today so thought id start up a build thread and update the progress as i go along!

The car is a 2001 (51) championship white DC5, its my first Honda and so far im loving it!

The modifications so far include:

Mugen Twinloop Cat back
Rota Slipstreems.
ARC induction kit.
Lowered on Eibach springs and a fast road set up.
Hybrid racing shifter cable bushings.
Energy suspension engine mount.
Takata 4 point harness.
Exedy OEM clutch fitted 08/03/2016.

I dont have too many plans for it at the moment, apart from giving it a clean tomorrow as its filthy!

Anyway heres some pictures.(excuse the crappy Iphone quality) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Little update.

After having the car 2 days, ive noticed the clutch release bearing seems to be rumbling slighty, goes away when the clutch is pressed in.

The car is also hard to get in to gear at higher rpm/vtec. Hoping a new clutch will sort it and its not a major gearbox issues. Selects all gears fine in lower rpm?

Anyone had this issue before?

Cheers.

That does sound very symptomatic of a tired clutch. Go for genuine Honda or a US Exedy OEM when you replace it with a genuine Honda bearing. :smt023

Took a trip to Grinspeed to see Stevie today.

He was extremely helpful, took my car for a test drive and diagnosed the problem, new clutch needed. A little disappointing considering Ive only had the car 6 days, but at least I know it should be good after that.

Will be booking it in on Monday to have the clutch done asap :).

Stopped by at Halfords to get a few cleaning bits on the way back, came out side and started the car up, turns out the exhaust had completely snapped in half where the manifold meets the cat back. Managed to get it to my mates garage before it closed and he welded it up, turns out it had been welded previously before. See how long this weld lasts before it snaps again :mad:.

Evening everyone, little update.

Had a decent day weather wise today so I decided I would give the car a good going over. When I bought it, I really was shocked by the condition of the paintwork. The car was covered in iron deposits and tar and the paintwork was championship cream rather than white.

Picture before I started.

I cleaned it using the following products.

MER high shine shampoo 2 bucket method.
The polishing booth optimal wheels cleaner/fall out remover.
3M Clay mitt.
Meguires ultimate compound.
Poor boys white diamond glaze.
Nattys white diamond paste wax.
Bmw products hard wax.

Fall out removed working, shows you how much dirt and grime was in the paintwork.

This was the result when I finished.

Ive still got the wheels, headlights and interior to do tomorrow. Theres still a fair amount of fall out down the sides of the car that I will have to have another go at in the future. But overall, im happy with the outcome, this was my first time attempting to 'detail' a vehicle.

Absolutely knackered now, ill sleep well tonight! =D>

Hi all, little update for you.

Having spoken to Stevie at grinspeed and getting advice off a few other people I had spoke to, I decided to get the car booked in for a new clutch on the 8th of March.

I left the car with my dad and he kindly took the car to them for me. While the car was there, they gave it a once over and advised me on anything else that may need changing soon.

Turns out my intake hose had a large split in it by the throttle body, luckily the guys had a spare one lying around and he was able to swap that over for me. On this picture, you can see the split round the jubilee clip.

64846de01d564c0b55ae43c1a07d45e5.jpg

I also suspected that the engine mount was worn so that was replaced with a solid mount.

Old

c28a899a0add509538c9e7503960a51f.jpg

And new

caa8d32c8c185d2e6d7c5669915913b7.jpg

So after having a new oem exedy clutch fitted, the car now feels a lot better to drive! The clutch pedal is so much lighter now and the car is much more drive able than it was before hand. When they removed the clutch, both the lads commented on how worn it was, there first reaction was "bloody hell, someone's had there money's worth."

1ba53100939bf006586550d137453a21.jpg

b0e68abfee54e0e1e99ef3dc018855b7.jpg

c5ac119e1a24916ca54408711c10ceef.jpg

The next thing on the list is going to be discs and pads all round. My drivers side rear calliper is sticking so that will need to be replaced or refurbished, and I'm still unsure of what discs and pads to go for next? The car is used as my daily commuter but I plan on doing some track days this year, any suggestions would be helpful.

870afe3c5b21a74af9cfa91f0bdd3478.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bah I've slipped worse clutches than that. :D

Interesting that you went for an Exeedy over a standard Honda clutch, having driven both I much prefer the OEM feel of the Honda supplied part - which also gives a nice light pedal when first fitted. Found they stay a lot quieter than the Exeedy, which tended to chatter after a while from memory.

Also that engine mount was probably (at least) partly responsible for the snapped weld on the exhaust, general wear and tear but often the cause of such things. Always bound to happen on a car of that age, I would imagine new VTEC car right foot probably would have helped it along it's way too. Something we're all guilty of (m'lud).

Either way, doesn't sound like you've had too much to worry about as the items you've mentioned have been general wear and tear and understandable for a car of the age. Good to see it been kept on top of meaning the car will be around for a while to come yet.

Bah I've slipped worse clutches than that. :D

Interesting that you went for an Exeedy over a standard Honda clutch, having driven both I much prefer the OEM feel of the Honda supplied part - which also gives a nice light pedal when first fitted. Found they stay a lot quieter than the Exeedy, which tended to chatter after a while from memory.

Also that engine mount was probably (at least) partly responsible for the snapped weld on the exhaust, general wear and tear but often the cause of such things. Always bound to happen on a car of that age, I would imagine new VTEC car right foot probably would have helped it along it's way too. Something we're all guilty of (m'lud).

Either way, doesn't sound like you've had too much to worry about as the items you've mentioned have been general wear and tear and understandable for a car of the age. Good to see it been kept on top of meaning the car will be around for a while to come yet.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that the worn engine mount would have caused strain on the exhaust, however, the exhaust had previously been welded. Also, I believe the exhaust cracked as it was cooling down, as it was fine when I turned the car off, then blowing when I next started it up.

I've been driving the car like a grandma really since I got it, because I didn't want to cause any wear on the syncros or do any gearbox damage.

I'm currently doing some miles to bed the clutch in, I know some people say you don't need to, but I'm guessing taking it easy for a short while won't do it any harm.

Looking good, glad all the issues are sorted for you. On a detailing point a good clay barring will sort out the grimy bits you described.

Looking good, glad all the issues are sorted for you. On a detailing point a good clay barring will sort out the grimy bits you described.

Thanks mate, I corrected the paintwork a few weeks ago, part of this included claying it. When I'd done the paintwork was so much smoother and free of contaminants. I'll hopefully da it in a few weeks when the sun arrives.

Decided to tackle the headlights today as they really had seen better days, very cloudy and weathered.

Before,

9dbb892dc70e755f49c70968c5b49bf3.jpg

b1954a76014c5b219791e6bf59a5e58d.jpg

I did it in 2 stages, first with a hard cutting pad, and then a soft finishing pad. Using meguiars ultimate compound to buff them.

The finished product,

0b1b0cd132f4b62b9ded563925d3ff64.jpg

87d4f7e91660416476baedeb585e65b3.jpg

3c3208785919ca009ab7f2914432aa9e.jpg

Just a shame there's still a little condensation I'm them, but they look a lot better than they did.

I've also got some climair wind deflectors on order and the brakes are getting done next month.

Back