• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

finally got to the bottom of the annoying whining noise from aux area

Sorry for the long post I gave car in garage today for this problem to get inspected. So I purchased genuine parts from tegiwa a tensioner pulley idler pulley and got aux belt from Honda dealer. I was assuming that the whine was from these 3 things. The local independent mechanic who had car in works on his own rs4 b7 so I guess he knows what he's doing. So dropped car in morning he took off tensioner pulley idler pulley and left car on tick over with belt off revved car up to 3krpm noise was still there. Further inspection he has said that the noise is coming from the aircon compressor and thats the part I will need. He said that the bearing is dry. Now I need help from any owners of the forum who have previously come across this sort of problem. Spoke to someone at tegiwa today as I wanted to return tensioner pulley because this wasn't needed he advised me to remove that air con compressor if im not using it. Is there ant chance I will be able to get hold of this part from a breaker or used as I don't want to spend silly money on this sort of part cheers haz

Part was air con compressor or air con compressor pump so just waiting for an expert to confirm how much these sort of parts are and what's best option.

Get your own compressor refurbished or delete the A/C.

Thanks for getting back any idea how much these are in good condition used??? And if someone can put a picture up of this item so I know what to look for cheers.

Can't remember for sure... but IIRC, Rambo stripped the A/C off his car & there were pictures in his build thread of the items removed.

Not seen a 2nd hand compressor up for sale before TBH, there will be a few knocking about though from people who have stripped their cars for track.

What bout reconditioning the one in the car as bonito has mentioned?? I seen some on ebay. I need to know what it looks like so pictures please there's a few on there cheers.

Any refrigerant engineer can do it. Just have to find one that will. Friend of mine is a refrigerant engineer and henrefurbed his compressor on his impreza.

Sorry for the long post I gave car in garage today for this problem to get inspected. So I purchased genuine parts from tegiwa a tensioner pulley idler pulley and got aux belt from Honda dealer. I was assuming that the whine was from these 3 things. The local independent mechanic who had car in works on his own rs4 b7 so I guess he knows what he's doing. So dropped car in morning he took off tensioner pulley idler pulley and left car on tick over with belt off revved car up to 3krpm noise was still there. Further inspection he has said that the noise is coming from the aircon compressor and thats the part I will need. He said that the bearing is dry. Now I need help from any owners of the forum who have previously come across this sort of problem. Spoke to someone at tegiwa today as I wanted to return tensioner pulley because this wasn't needed he advised me to remove that air con compressor if im not using it. Is there ant chance I will be able to get hold of this part from a breaker or used as I don't want to spend silly money on this sort of part cheers haz

Sure ive got this same whine, started few months ago

Today ive put new bearings in both the top idle pulley and belt auto tensioner pulley casue they were both noisey

When i had the drive belt off, i checked the air con pump pulley, just spinning it by hand it sounded a little nosiey (dry bearing type sound)

So i started my car up without the drivebelt on for a few mins, could still hear this whine, yet the aircon pump pulley wasnt spinning cause no belt on

The only pulley that was spinning was the bottom crankshaft pulley. I watched the crank pulley for a minute while spinning, it looked like there was very slight wobble/play in it, Is this normal? Was it just because belt was off..

Anyway after putting my drivebelt back on with the new bearings in the idler and tensioner pulleys, been for a drive and the annoying whine is still there...

. I was certain it would have gone cause the 2 bearings i replaced were bad, specially the auto tensioner one, real noisey / rattley

Any further info on this air con thing would be great, what was making the whine on urs? What part of the aircon unit etc?

Thx

I seem to have this noise coming from the aux area I've changed idler pulley, tensioner, belt, water pump is around 3 years old. I've never tried running the engine without the belt on to see if that stops the noise, however I don't understand how the ac compressor can still make a noise when the belt is removed. How can there be noise when the belt is not turning the pulley? Are you sure it was the ac compressor that was at fault ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been reading bit on google

Some reports for other cars that had this whine and they removed belt and noise still there

But mechanics told them the compressor was faulty and was making the noise

I know nothin about air con, never used it and never will do

Maybe somthin inside the compressor can still whine even when theres no spinning of the pulley?

Im gonna try taking belt off again then unplugging any electrical plugs off the compressor or pulling the air con fuse and if the noise gos, then the whole thing will be deleted..

I've removed ac relay and fuse so that there is no power going to the AC and the noise is still there. Unless there is something else I need to remove I don't know myself. The noise only seems to come on when the engine is warmed up where as before I replaced the tensioner the noise used to come on when the engine was cold and go off once it was warmed up. I've had 3 new belts put on and like I say a new idler pulley too. Sometimes the noise can be heard even when just idling, other times you have to rev to around 3k or over before it's heard. I'm still leaning towards the alternator that is at fault.

The whine on mine is there permanent

Started good while back and has kept getting worse, and its always whined no matter if engine cold or warm

You hear mine worse at 1500 - 2500ish rpms, cant tell after that cause of sports exhaust

Ive put new bearings in idler and tensioner pulleys so know there good

And i spun alternator pulley by hand when the belt was off, silent and no wobble on it

Hopefully will get to the bottom of this eventually

I may try a new belt, this time however from the Honda stealers instead of a cheap third party type. It can only be one of two things, belt or alternator. I'll let you know if I ever get down to the bottom of this.

No it's something I haven't tried yet. You see mines intermittent. Comes and goes when it pleases. I will try and run it without belt on when I get some free time, see if I can pin point where its coming from. The thing is mine sounds like a whinning whistling type of sound.

Had my belt off again today

Found that my alternator pulley is a bit noisy now when I spin it hard by hand

Also looking at the aircon pump pulley, if I get hold of it I can wobble it side to side a fair bit and it makes a clang type sound when you wobble it

I don't know anything about this pulley, is the bit of wobble / play normal because it has a clutch on it for the aircon, or should there be no play at all in the pulley?

Cheers

Back