• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Windscreen insurance premium nob head!

Was just driving on the slipway to join the motorway and some nob in a Renault Megane undertook me in the hard shoulder and loads of stones flicked up and one put a chip/crack in my windscreen. Its about the size of a £2 coin.

Just checked on auto glass and done there checklist thing and it came back i need a new windscreen and it cant be repaired. I don't mind that but i will have to pay, and if i go through insurance i have to pay £75 excess and i assume that will affect my premium? I don't want to pay as it wasn't my fault, i got the guys Reg but not sure they could do anything as i can't prove it. Also I've heard that even if they cant or dont do anything it will still affect my premium.

What do you reckon, anyone else dealt with this sort of thing before?

It won't affect your premium as it's a windscreen claim, not an accident claim.

As above it won't affect your premium but you will have to pay your excess. Shop around windscreen companies though because I had to change the windscreen on a previous car went through insurance and it was a pain tbh, took a few weeks and I only ended up saving £15 once I paid my excess.

I could have got it done a lot sooner if I went direct to a windscreen company and only a £15 saving was a bit poop.

It won't affect your premium as it's a windscreen claim, not an accident claim.

As above it won't affect your premium but you will have to pay your excess. Shop around windscreen companies though because I had to change the windscreen on a previous car went through insurance and it was a pain tbh, took a few weeks and I only ended up saving £15 once I paid my excess.

I could have got it done a lot sooner if I went direct to a windscreen company and only a £15 saving was a bit poop.

Cool thanks for the info guys, im really annoyed about it, mainly annoyed about having to pay for something i didnt do!

Im with esure and checked its £100 excess, what you reckon the chances are of me getting it for nothing if i tell them what happened abd give the guys reg over? Im thinking massively doubtful lol.

Cool thanks for the info guys, im really annoyed about it, mainly annoyed about having to pay for something i didnt do!

Im with esure and checked its £100 excess, what you reckon the chances are of me getting it for nothing if i tell them what happened abd give the guys reg over? Im thinking massively doubtful lol.

I imagine you'd probably need dash cam footage to even have a chance of that working, still worth a punt in the dark though

Yeh was thinking id need video evidence. Just told my dad and luckily his mate does windscreens, so he had a look and yeh i definitely need a new one. Said its best to go through insurance, and that it will probably last for years how it is now so dont need to rush out and do it now. Think ill wait a while put some cash to one side for it, bit skint atm.

Wouldn't work anyway as it wasn't a negligent act by the third party. If it fell off the third party vehicle that's a different story. Unfortunately if it flicked up off the road them it's just one of those things I'm afraid

Wouldn't work anyway as it wasn't a negligent act by the third party. If it fell off the third party vehicle that's a different story. Unfortunately if it flicked up off the road them it's just one of those things I'm afraid 

Pretty sure undertaking somebody on the hard shoulder would count as 'negligent' as its dangerous driving at the very least.

Pretty sure undertaking somebody on the hard shoulder would count as 'negligent' as its dangerous driving at the very least.
Not for this type of claim it isn't. It was a stone flicking up from a road, could have happened anywhere on the road. If he hit the car then your point about him being 'negligent' would stand.

Back