• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2009 FN2 type R - battery issues - completely dead if left stood for a day

Hi guys

Basically as as the title says. If the car isn't run for a couple of days the battery dies. Nothing works, it doesn't even turn over Replaced the battery twice since December (1st time my choice, 2nd time this morning by my mums partner lol)

is there any reason behind this? Or a way to fix it? I've read somewhere about it being a problem with some FN2s but not much info on what to do about it. It's bugging me now!

Thanks for for any advice xx

Sounds like you have a drain on the battery, could be something stupid like the stereo or it could be something more complex. You would probably be best off getting an auto electrician to take a look.

What after market bits have you got on the car? Phone/Satnav etc chargers?

Any after market light kits (foot well etc), interior or exterior (HIDs)? Boot lights, stereo etc?

Or, do your lights turn off when you close the door? Possibly the switch in the door that's duff meaning the lights don't turn off?

What after market bits have you got on the car? Phone/Satnav etc chargers?

Any after market light kits (foot well etc), interior or exterior (HIDs)? Boot lights, stereo etc?

Or, do your lights turn off when you close the door? Possibly the switch in the door that's duff meaning the lights don't turn off?

well from what I can see it has after market xenons on it, I have wondered if it's those :-/

if you have a multimeter then pull off the negative terminal and run the multimeter in between the - post and the earth clamp, set it to read amps and it should should you how many amps/milliamps its pulling across it, make sure doors are all closed, keys out ignition etc as that will give you a false reading if a dome light is on, shouldn't be anymore than 50-60mA draw on a normal car, on old cars you would maybe allow for up to 70-80mA due to age of wiring but if its pulling much more than than then you have a current draw going on somewhere, then you start by finding whats causing it by pulling out fuses to see which one causes a significant drop.

Did you check the link loxy provided? could be your cars a 2008 model but not registered till 2009 so would check it and see if it needs the recall work

Last edited by a moderator:
Back