• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CRZ Thoughts

I've had a CRZ for a couple of years and Im getting rid for a type R. I've loved this little car, on a country road or in town its stands out and handles very well, but on the motorway was a little lacking my old 2.2 diesel civic was a lot better.

Was just wondering what you all thought of CRZ?

You can get lots of Mugen parts for the CRZ. I heard they are great cars and I believe Mugen even did a CRZ model.

^IIRC most of the mugen stuff for the crz was cosmetic. Body kids, wheels etc. rather than performance stuff. Not sure they ever released a mugen model you could buy from the factory.

There's a few k20 swaps knocking about, that's what I'd do. Great looking little cars, shame they never did an R version.

Mugen did do a performance exhaust system for the CR-Z.

The Mugen CR-Z was just a prototype they built to see reaction to a hot hatch version of a CRZ. Only one was made it seems and cost £150,000 lol.

I have the Youtube video here.

https://youtu.be/3-rvMzcpbsU

I found on Mugen Japan all the parts they have done for the CR-Z. And there was a roumor that there will be a CRZ with a 280BHP Type-R engine in it.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/cr-z/90888/honda-cr-z-to-make-comeback-with-280bhp-type-r-engine

http://mugeneuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CR-Z-ZF2-UK-RRP-JAN-2015.pdf

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one and I think it's a lovely looking car, with a comfortable, sporty interior / seating position.

It lacks power, as you say, on the motorways etc.

Excellent handling.

Good sized boot.

No useable rear seats.

Not enough MPG for a hybrid IME.

I see no point in modifying it for 'performance'

I did it the same way as the OP. I had a 2.2 Sport for a year before I got my CR-Z GT in January this year (61 plate). I found it to be a really nice car, handled amazingly well and was reasonably 'pokey' around town.

The down sides that I found was that the MPG wasn't as good for a Hybrid as you'd expect, not that I bought it for this anyway, with around 40-45mpg mixed driving. I did a trip to Belgium for the Spa 24 Hours in it and didn't manage much better fuel economy than my tuned Clio 182 two years previously (51mpg over 1000 miles to Belgium and back to Dorset). The lack of speed on a motorway/dual carriageway was the other downside. The rear seats, or rather lack of them, didn't bother me as I don't think you buy a car like the travel with more than 2 people in.

I did find the rear visibility a little poor, but that improved once I fitted the Spoon Sports rear view & side mirrors. I did also fit a Takeda Momentum intake setup, which gave a lovely noise and did seem to free up the engine very slightly I found, although that wasn't cheap at nearly £400.

Since the end of September I've had a 58-Plate FN2 GT Type-R, which I'm finding amazing.

I know this is an old post, but hope this might help anyone looking at getting a CR-Z, as they are great little cars.

The crz was a great little car but the fk2 has been every thing I'd hoped it was going to be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I did it the same way as the OP. I had a 2.2 Sport for a year before I got my CR-Z GT in January this year (61 plate). I found it to be a really nice car, handled amazingly well and was reasonably 'pokey' around town.

The down sides that I found was that the MPG wasn't as good for a Hybrid as you'd expect, not that I bought it for this anyway, with around 40-45mpg mixed driving. I did a trip to Belgium for the Spa 24 Hours in it and didn't manage much better fuel economy than my tuned Clio 182 two years previously (51mpg over 1000 miles to Belgium and back to Dorset). The lack of speed on a motorway/dual carriageway was the other downside. The rear seats, or rather lack of them, didn't bother me as I don't think you buy a car like the travel with more than 2 people in.

I did find the rear visibility a little poor, but that improved once I fitted the Spoon Sports rear view & side mirrors. I did also fit a Takeda Momentum intake setup, which gave a lovely noise and did seem to free up the engine very slightly I found, although that wasn't cheap at nearly £400.

Since the end of September I've had a 58-Plate FN2 GT Type-R, which I'm finding amazing.

I know this is an old post, but hope this might help anyone looking at getting a CR-Z, as they are great little cars.

Where did you get the mods from ?

I've got one and I think it's a lovely looking car, with a comfortable, sporty interior / seating position.

It lacks power, as you say, on the motorways etc.

Excellent handling.

Good sized boot.

No useable rear seats.

Not enough MPG for a hybrid IME.

I see no point in modifying it for 'performance'

Where did you get the mods from ?

Joe changes plans

Agreed with the good posts.

CR-Z was great for me over the 3.5 years I had it.

I own a CRZ and also owned one around 5 years ago and I will agree that they do lack outright power on the motorway but if you drop a cog or 2 it does soon shift however with the amount of stealth speed cameras popping up on the motorways over the last 2-3 years I now suspect these are fast becoming 70-74mph max if you want to keep a licence so does it matter that much? I must admit I guess the face lifted CRZ with the extra 20-25BHP is a whole different animal than the pre facelift but either way no regrets and could not go back to the harsh ride of a FN2. Strangely enough we have a 2016 1.6 twin turbo EX CRV as well and I have to admit knocking road town in the CRZ it is a lot easier to creep over 30MPH in 5th or 6th than the CRV and if had not been for 2 cars that pulled out on front of me a around 3 weeks ago and blocked a scamera vans line of sight I suspect I might also have a SP30 in the post now. What worse is I got done hear in February and did the speed awareness course 36MPH in a 30mph limit but as its up hill and a dual carriageway its just so easy to go over 30mph plus the fact up until around a year ago this has always been a 40mph limit so subconsciously after driving this road for 25 years I think its a 40mph limit just like 90% of the room on the speed awareness course who all got done in the same place and what more annoying I have never known there be a accident on this stretch of road but for sure it is generating someone revenue.

I have also looked at the air intake setup so can I ask is it worth the outlay or if you was buying again would you not bother?

I own a CRZ and also owned one around 5 years ago and I will agree that they do lack outright power on the motorway but if you drop a cog or 2 it does soon shift however with the amount of stealth speed cameras popping up on the motorways over the last 2-3 years I now suspect these are fast becoming 70-74mph max if you want to keep a licence so does it matter that much? I must admit I guess the face lifted CRZ with the extra 20-25BHP is a whole different animal than the pre facelift but either way no regrets and could not go back to the harsh ride of a FN2. Strangely enough we have a 2016 1.6 twin turbo EX CRV as well and I have to admit knocking road town in the CRZ it is a lot easier to creep over 30MPH in 5th or 6th than the CRV and if had not been for 2 cars that pulled out on front of me a around 3 weeks ago and blocked a scamera vans line of sight I suspect I might also have a SP30 in the post now. What worse is I got done hear in February and did the speed awareness course 36MPH in a 30mph limit but as its up hill and a dual carriageway its just so easy to go over 30mph plus the fact up until around a year ago this has always been a 40mph limit so subconsciously after driving this road for 25 years I think its a 40mph limit just like 90% of the room on the speed awareness course who all got done in the same place and what more annoying I have never known there be a accident on this stretch of road but for sure it is generating someone revenue.

I have also looked at the air intake setup so can I ask is it worth the outlay or if you was buying again would you not bother?
I had the face lift crz to me still under powered on the motorway. I would suggest getting a good app on the phone for speed cameras. Gives you a fighting chance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

An app makes no difference as its a mobile scamera van and what worse they get your speed before you can see them due to hill and trees then take your photo of your plate when you get closer. Easiest option is simply not to speed but like I said easy done in a 30 limit on a dual carriage way that as always been a 40mph limit for 25 years of driving so subconsciously I think 40 when on this road plus they don't use 30 signs to remind you the speed limit has changed. now use the cruise control on this road all the time as its simply the best way ;) Maybe if you need or want a fast CRZ just buy this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Mug...130609?hash=item1a22828c31:g:rEIAAOSw241YYAZw

My Mrs had one a good few years ago when they were fairly new. We found it a great wee car only really got rid due to having a baby just not practical. I would have one again as a run around. As said it lacks a bit of power and mpg isn't great by today's standards. There were some performance parts available we had a supercharged mugen model at our dealer.

Back