• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic grey EP3 from Slovenia

Hello.

Just recently I've bought my first type R. Before this i've owned an ek4 civic vti for 5 years, and kinda wanted to make a change.

The current modifications: (will be updating)

-skunk2 megapower r catback
-hondata airbox mod with fc design air scoop
-meister r zetaCRD+ coilovers
-hardrace rear camber kit
-Energy suspension front LCA bushings
-Throttle body coolant bypass
-Energy suspension motor mount inserts
-Custom oil catch can/breather

At the moment i'm preety much repairing and replacing the basic things.
I've replaced the timing chain and tensioner, the side engine mount, tie rod ends and some brackets in the engine bay.

The near future plans are to paint the rocker cover wrinkle red. Fit the energy bushes in the front lower arms and get them sand blasted and powder coated while i'm at it :). Will post some pictures of the process :).

Comments welcome :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really appreciate the warm welcome :)
The seats are quite nice and in good condition, just have to get them a bit more cleaned.

I am currently doing some research on catback exhausts, as I'd like to replace the stock system asap.
I like the tegiwa one, because it looks nice and it's not very loud. Also the price is very reasonable.
For now i'm only planning an catback and a aem cai induction. Maybe later on i'll do something more serious with the engine.
Thoughts?

Hello again.
Done a couple of things to the car in the past few weeks. Had it on jack stands 3 weeks straight :D .
I really wanted to replace the front lower control arm bushings, because the stock ones were shot.
So I removed the arms, pressed out the stock bushings, had them sand blasted, zinced and powdercoated in black along with some other parts that needed TLC :)
Sorry for the blurry image :(

Because all the processes took a fair amout of time to be done, I decided to install the motor mount inserts while i had the car on stands.

Took a lot of elbow grease to do the front one, but managed it in the end :).

The last thing on the list was to paint the valve cover. The previous owner painted it wrinkle black, which i really didn't like.

Much better :).

Really happy with the mods, the most noticable are the mount inserts because of the extra vibration, but it really made the gear changes better.
In the following days i'm planning to replace the front lower ball joints, because they are leaking grease all over the place and the threads are bad (almost stripped), had to put two nuts on the drivers side to be sure the wheel won't come off :D.

If everything works out, i'm planning to get a catback and a proper intake to the end of this month. Fingers crossed :)

C&C welcome

The motor mounts are best value for money mod, make so much difference, no wheels hop!

Nice to see all those parts getting blasted and coated!

I'm tempted to go for the motor mounts but I'm sure the vibrations would drive me mad after not very long!

Nice job on the rocker cover, did you strip it right back or just paint straight over the black? The powder coated bits look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt really try any hard pulls because of the lower ball joint problems, better safe than sorry :D. Today i got both ball joints and will be replacing them tommorow. Also a wheel alignement ASAP.

I cleaned the old paint off with some paint removal chemicals and washed it off with water. Was really a struggle to get the old paint off, its really durable. Had to repeat the process 3 times :).

The inserts are quite hard.. Mostly i notice them on startup and launching at low rpm. They are noticable when driving also, there is more vibration but nothing unbearable.
I have a ej9 for a daily, so they dont bother me. But if i used the ep3 as a daily... Idk.. Had to get used to them i guess :)

I put the engine mount inserts in my ep3 5 days ago, today at work i removed them , the vibration did my nut in
Now there in my tool box lol

Just replacing the wishbone and Arb bushes to poly seems to add a little vibration which is a little annoying. seems to come through the dashboard the most so
goimh to try and put some thin double sided foam in between to minimise it. Think the mounts would drive me crazy

Jizzy did you do all the mounts , I was thinking of just doing the gearbox one for extra support and replace the worn top engine mount for a new oem one to keep it all fresh

Hi mate
I only did the front & rear gearbox mounts n i left the top 1 oem
I hated it , talk about vibration :mad:
I even bought the poly bush kit for the front wishbones , they will be staying in the box

A little update on how things are going

I left the honda lettering on the valve cover painted for some time, so that the paint fully dried and then sanded it down.
I think it came out really nice

The most urgent part were the lower ball joints, they were still solid but i've stripped the threads on one and decided to replace both as they were looking sorry for themselves

And after replacing the ball joints, lower control arm bushings and tie rod ends I still heard knocking from somewhere at the front of the car.
Did some research and found that the steering rack slider might be bad.
So I ordered it at my local honda dealership (along with some new shiny nuts for the valve cover :) ).
First plan was to replace it with the steering rack in the car, but i couldn't undo the screws, so the rack had to come out.

good thing i downloaded the honda shop manual, because its a fiddly job :)

I didnt took any photos, but the rack was still looking good under the boot, nicely lubed. But I added some multipurpose grease and turned the rack by hand a couple times from lock to lock to grease it up some more.
Torqued everything back to honda spec and reinstalled it.
It's better, it doesent knock as much anymore but i noticed that it still has some up and down play. But i've left the steering rack guide screw alone.

Also i've confirmed the order for a skunk2 megapower r catback, cant wait to get it installed :)

It made a difference, but not as much as i hoped. The old slider was right on the service limit, measuring 25.3mm at one end. The new one measures 25.6 mm. My car has 160,000 km thats around 100,000 miles.
If i was you i'd try to adjust the guide screw first.
thanks

Thanks for an honest feedback , is the adjustment screw easy to access while on the car , shame it never made a huge difference

I dont know for rhd, but on lhd its not that bad. I'm gonna remove the airbox and i think ill be alright.
For rhd its going to be somewhere by the header. Its facing the floor, so you would want to access it from under the car. Just guessing :)

I'll try do some research cheers mate and good luck

Edit : Sounds like a common adjustment upon searching , seems to cure loose steering feel so not sure if it's a cure for a knock but I'll keep searching

Back