• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic grey EP3 from Slovenia

Today I've reinstalled the overhauled steering rack, and I can say it made a big difference. It feels much better.

The first thing I've noticed was the smoothnes, it's much easier to turn the steering wheel and it self-centers much faster and smoother. I believe this is because of the new silicone grease and the rack guide.
I did a short 20km test drive and I didn't notice knocking or any sounds coming from the rack as before. I took her over familiar roads, where it definitely knocked before the overhaul, but now it does not.
If I try to pull the toe arms at the middle bracket up and down for signs of play (as you see on some youtube videos) it seems to have just a little (like 1mm) of movement, its hard to see but it definitely has way less play than before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot about this little mod I did. When the airbox was out, I've put some aluminium tape for heat reflection on the bottom of it.
WpKgjUH.jpg

Took her on a drive to a nearby ski resort. I'm very happy with how it drives now.
h6Cr3wG.jpg

Thanks guys.

@tresor: I really like the scoop. It definitely helps to get more fresh air in the airbox when compared to the stock pipe. But it gets some heat (gets warm to the touch) because it sits just over the radiator. Im planing to take it out and stick some heat reflective tape on the bottom of it, like I did on the airbox.

Next week Im going to the project spielberg aka red bull ring in Austria for a trackday. So I really need new brake pads to have some fun there. The old ones (just some budget brand I suspect) are getting worn and overheat really easily. So I went with the PBS prorace pads, heard some good things about them. The red bull ring circuit has some really nice long straights and therefore hard brakings, so they are going to be properly tested.
Also got some tegiwa extended ball joints, to help the suspension geometry.

e9K653g.jpg

Just a random photo from a short drive the other day.

RcXqIZU.jpg

Today I fitted the tegiwa extended ball joints. They really look like a good quality item.
A picture for comparison between the oem spec ball joint and the extended one.
L8111ah.jpg

And a picture on the car. Sorry because its vertical.
FbCT1Zl.jpg

For the difference between the oem and extended its hard to say right now, I've made only a couple kilometers from my friend to my home. And I have to take it to the shop to get the wheels aligned. Will keep you posted as I'll make more kilometers.

The PBS brake pads will be installed in the next week, because of front caliper problems. I'll be making a quick refurb of them.

As mentioned above I had front brake caliper problems. The pistons on both were so badly rusted that I couldn't even push them inside in order to fit new brake pads. The funny thing is that the calipers were not sticking or showing any signs that there was a problem. I noticed the fault on saturday (when trying to install new brakepads) and on thursday I was scheduled for two turns on the red bull ring. So I had to get them refurbished ASAP.
I was told by the previous owner that the calipers were refurbished and sure they looked like they were. Then when I've removed the old rusted pistons and old seals I discovered that the main dust seal/boot was not seated properly in the brake caliper. As a result, water could get easily in and cause the piston to rust.

It's visible on the boot that its cramped where it was not seated properly against the caliper.
r5ygGQP.jpg

And the result of someones negligence.
idhb4no.jpg

They were then sand blasted and zinc plated. Special care was taken to remove all the rust.
LCDxGCk.jpg

With new pistons and new rubber seals/boots.
qmO4ter.jpg

Then installed on the car with new pbs pads and bleed the brakes on all four corners. I used ATE SL6 dot4 fluid.
The first image shows how the calipers looked before the track day on rbr and the second one is after. Looks like I've heated them up properly :smt077
hAhbANo.jpg

The brake pads produced a lot of brake dust in the two 20 minute sessions. But fact is that the racetrack layout is quite hard on the brakes.
gvZpOSc.jpg

I sadly dont have any images of the car on the track. It was a really nice experience and i'm planning to go again next year.

This was probably my last update post in this thread, as it looks like the car is going to be sold to a friend in this week.

Back