• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Recent EP3 purchase

Yep. Only 500 miles to go to 200K. Then, well....... I don't know if I'll re-insure it, leave it, or break it up for spares. MOT & Tax both due in September.

Yep. Only 500 miles to go to 200K. Then, well....... I don't know if I'll re-insure it, leave it, or break it up for spares. MOT & Tax both due in September.

Impressive stuff! Has it had any sort of rebuild in that time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It still has the 'original clutch' & 'original timing chain' fitted. There has been no rebuild of the engine, yet. Just this persistent problem of not being able to get VTEC, which dents the performance. As long as I don't need to go faster than 70mph or require rapid acceleration, then its fine.

Things do last if you look after them.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just trying to approach thie VTEC problem from a different angle Ep3steve, to perhaps a new audience that hadn't come across the specific problem before.

Loxy, hi, I'm based down south in Wiltshire. TGM are 65 miles away but are very busy. Eurospec are even further away. ABP are close to 180 miles in each direction, so I only visit when I can take a couple of days off work to make it a longer weekend.

Just wish I had the tools and facilities to work on the car myself.

Ta for now.

just catching up with this again - I've not heard of Dream Automotive Loxy. I'll look them up and see where they are.

EP3 now on 200,030 miles.. It'll be getting re-insured.

Long time since I added to this. EP3 is now on 206,300. Last MOT passed in September but with advisories which now have to be addressed or it's an automatic fail next time, so I understand according to the new rules.

Where do I want to go with it though? Before I spend money on new parts for the suspension and drivetrain, the most important thing to do is address the lack of power issue. I'll be straight here, it starts fine, it runs fine, it purrs nicely with no knocks, rattles or hisses you would associate with big-end, timing chain or vacuum system respectively. I can even drive it to work and back a couple of times a week without incident, and have been happy to do just that for the last three years. Longer trips than that....No Way!

When engine is cold acceleration is poor in all gears.

When engine is up to temperature:
Acceleration in 1st is sluggish - it really does struggle to get off the line.
Drive in 2nd is sluggish - not much power.
Drive in 3rd has much more about it.
Drive in 4th pulls nicely but runs out of puff around 5000rpm.
Drive in 5th good fun but runs out of puff around 5000rpm.
Drive is 6th is normally cruising on motorway at between 60-75 mph. That's when it hits a wall and won't go any faster.

Could the ageing clutch be the problem?

Impressive! Highest mileage I have heard of on an EP3.
Hope you get the issues resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do I, but not if it turns out to be a really expensive exercise. I just need a direction to look at before giving the garage carte blanche to do what they like.

That's very odd. I would suspect a fuelling issue first off. I'd have a look at fuel pressure and check injectors for flow and spray pattern.

Next would be oil pressure for vtec actuation & cam timing. Spark timing. Compression.

If that's all spot on then fcuk me sideways with a bag of d1cks. Burn it.

No, don't. 206k is awesome, it deserves to be fixed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha-ha Hazz - I have been sorely tempted at times. Just leave it in a lay-by and turn it into a beacon of light.:twisted:

That's very odd. I would suspect a fuelling issue first off. I'd have a look at fuel pressure and check injectors for flow and spray pattern.

Next would be oil pressure for vtec actuation & cam timing. Spark timing. Compression.

If that's all spot on then fcuk me sideways with a bag of d1cks. Burn it.

No, don't. 206k is awesome, it deserves to be fixed!

Some people out there pay a lot of money for sh*t like this :D

But back on topic, depending on how big the bill is, I'd fix it OP. Have you had a garage inspect it yet and give you a quote or probable issues?

I've pretty much had enough of trying to fix it. Last time it went to the garage to see what was wrong, the garage said it wasn't down to the usual suspect problem area. They took the VTEC solenoid apart and checked the mesh screen gasket - all clean there and it's working properly. Oil and oil level fine.

So that leaves the VTC solenoid to check, the CKP sensor to check and the the oil pressure sensor to check. I reckon the oil pathways to the head maybe gunged up so not enough oil getting to the cams to make VTEC. But what do I know.

That means I'll be selling. Tax runs out at end of February anyway. MOT runs until September 17th.

i need to make more posts before I can do a proper for sale ad with photos, so some replies would help.

Mark

Would a thinner grade of oil help at this time of year such as 0W-30, to encourage it to travel to the parts the regular oil cannot reach?

Back