• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Recent EP3 purchase

No mate, an old high miler isn’t going to enjoy thinner grade oil in all liklihood. If anything other than 5w40 I’d go 10w40, help seal those ageing piston rings.

Any chance the catalytic converter is sufficiently blocked to be causing your issues? What are your MOT emissions tests like?

Could be a partially blocked cat. Have you a solution, because I'm not paying £1300 for a new one just to see if that is the problem. Car passes MOT emissions test with no problem. I've put another 225 miles on the EP in the last 6 days so it still works despite the snow and cold nights.

Last MOT the emissions read as this.

Fast idle test: PASS
CO2 (<0.20% vol) 0.04% vol PASS
HC (<200ppm) 10ppm vol PASS
Lambda (0.970 - 1.030) 1.003 PASS

Natural idle test: PASS
Engine speed: CO (<0.30% vol) 0.00% vol PASS

Cars eh....who'd have them?

Nice looking evening yesterday, so after work I thought I'll take the rear alloys off the EP3 to give the calipers a clean up, and straight away took a chunk off one of the locking nuts.... arrggghhhh. The other one came undone ok, but the damaged one won't shift using hand tools. I think a trip to the garage is on the cards so they can have a go with an impact driver.

Guys at the workshop got the locking nut off by smacking a 19mm socket on it and gently using a breaker bar. Need a new set of alloy locks now..... more chuffin money!

I'm considering sending the EP3 to meet its maker come MOT time. I have had the same thoughts for the previous two MOT's but have somehow got round to having the minimum amount of work done to it to see it through. This time is different though.

I have been saving money up all year because of the amount of work that needs doing to it, but with 210,000 miles on it, I've changed my mind. My FN will need suspension work soon as that is ten years old.

Ideally I'd like to have everything removed from underneath so it can have its rusty bottom treated to a life extending coating. Then have the sub-frames put through the same treatment, and rebuilt with new parts. Just renewing all the braking & suspension components is a hefty pricetag, let alone the labour to have the work done.

So it'll probably be off to the crusher minus the engine & gearbox unless somebody needs a donor car.

Worth joining EP3 facebook pages and selling it in there as a whole? I know there a few breakers in the groups who would probably take it off of your hands. May not get a lot but surely more than you'd get for scrapping it.

Hi all, I'm fairly new on here so thought I'd post a hello message. Ignore the title - it's wrong and I can't change it!

I have a 2003 EP3 that I purchased in 2005 when it only had 18,000 miles on it. Over the years it has been my reliable, fun workhorse daily motor. Plenty of miles on it now, but it has a problem that I just can't understand.

It has 189,000 miles on but it doesn't want to rev over 5000rpm in any gear, but that's probably down to age and mileage. There's no engine management lights on and I have tried to give it the beans, but it feels restricted and gets very loud and boomy behind the dashboard if I try to rev it any further.

Any help with why it won't rev up to VTEC would be helpful.

Thanks. Mark.

Hi Mark, it sounds like a VTEC issue to me, the solenoid might not be engaging due to the gauze on the VTEC being blocked.

And I'm still driving it like that. Doesn't really bother me too much as there aren't many places on the B roads commute to get into Vtec. The suspension wouldn't be able to keep up anyway.

You know, somewhere out there in Wales there is a Dc5 with over 350,000 miles on the clock.

Original engine was in the car for 280k of them before going bang.

They do last if you want them to.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Back