• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Track Day Discussion

Loxy

Site Treasurer
Administrator
New thread to keep this out of the general "New Type R" discussion thread.

The idea is to:

• Post up what track days you are going on
  • Post up any track day mods or prep you have done
  • Post up any issues or observations during or after the day
  • Ask any questions of the seasoned veterans
etc.

I get that most of that will be generic, but could be useful on the whole. :)

Right then, kicking this off...

I've decided that rather than trying force mods on a car that isn't so far lending itself overly to being modded, I'm going to put that money into taking it on track days.

I realised this when hovering over the buy button on a third set of alloys and tyres, and being really honest, none of the exhausts released to date improve on the sound of it. So what is the point? It doesn't need more power to be fun, and any more is just willy waving!

Track days will also help me with understanding the car more, as I've been going through the same old thing of what's the point having a high spec 300bhp commuter wagon and I've had the epiphany that I need to use the other side of the car too to appreciate what a car it is.

I'm not saying I won't mod it. Intercooler, better discs and pads, geo tweaks may all be some things that get a look in as long as there is a reason for it and it doesn't detract from the daily duties.

That's my stall set out and on to my first question.

I've had a gander on Honda Karma regarding towing points and found this page: http://hondakarma.com/guides/honda-civic-type-r-emergency-towing-procedures.1592/

On Track Days I've been on before you needed to have towing eyes fitted before going out etc. Since the front aren't easily accessible and the rear centre one has a panel covering it over, has anyone ever had any issues on track days?

I don't think there is much in the way of an elegant long term fixed solution but open to ideas!

Hehe. I watched that earlier. They shift when they want to. :D

8:20 for B2G ... Nice the car looks so composed! Almost uneventful to drive... But still a very nice tidy lap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your front towing point could you attach a tow strap, but have it cable tied out of the way so it's hidden normally but still accessible should you need a tow?

Marshalls do like to see an obvious tow hook on track days, or at least a sticker pointing to a hidden one

These are the towing points.

5bf54c306e8d136d02d5fd7a92555030.jpg

It would be a long strap from the front ones.

That's not that dissimilar from an EP3, maybe just a bit further in.

Your other alternative is to be prepared to use a strong point in the engine bay to be towed off track by. Eg a strut brace, an engine lifting eye etc. It might save your bumper.

Let's be honest though - chances of breaking down on track in a 12 month old Honda are naff all :D What I would do though, is be sure to know the location of the fuel cut off switch. If you spin on track and the fuel cut off trips out - knowing the location could save you a tow.

Croft in the morning. Everything standard (even original tyres) except for the catback and panel filter.

See how it does.

Yeah on our EP3 track car we have the longer tow straps fitted front and rear, though we cut a slot into the bumper and bolted it to the chassis leg mount.

The car didn't put a foot wrong all day.

Right from me battering down single track B roads for 40 minutes on the way there at 6am, mistakenly taken thinking that they wouldn't be that narrow or rabbit ridden... to almost keeping up with Chris's 400bhp Evo on Ohlins. Oh and it averaged 8.5mpg on track.

It only rained lightly for about 10-15 minutes before lunch but apart from that the weather was glorious.

I had tuition and was much the better for it later in the day. I was overdriving the car before tuition but after I was much more gentle and flowing and drove to the car. The car felt agile, picked up really well and hit a good 115 mph down the start finish straight, and the brakes were spot on. For standard brakes they were outstanding to be honest, I couldn't get them to fade and the pedal felt solid all day.

I had +R on all day and never had the tyre pressure warning pop up despite me playing with pressures, that was until I was on my way home in normal mode, so I'm guessing +R turns off monitoring. I didn't have any turn in understeer issues once I lowered my pressures and I kept VSA on. The car will let you play with the rear, tucking the nose in if you trail the brakes into a corner and I was having great fun with that then spoiling the turbo up mid corner and working the LSD. It really is lots of fun. :D

I had the oil temp up to 122 at one point, water temp to 98. It's already booked in for a service next weekend. The "Service Now" indicator is on according to the startup message, but the variable servicing monitor is saying 500 miles. No issues at all though. None of the EML gremlins that have hit me recently and the car seemed to lap it up.

The tyres were looking very grainy and the blocks were stepped at the end of my last set of laps, so rather than push them too far and end up driving on cords (ahem ) I thought I'd call it a day. I did a good 50ish laps though. I'm yet to have a look at them since the drive home. They might be OK yet.

Looking for the next track day now...

Almost kept up... I don't think it's 400 by the way. Probs 380 or so.

Was a good day today!

It really was. It's only on the drive home that get time to think about it.

Did you get the LingLongs fitted?

Yeah, can't remember the brand, £110 for the pair and it's like having plastic tyres. Horrible things.

I only had the two after lunch stints on the dash cam as the journey home took just shy of three hours and overwrote most of the footage. Next time I will turn off the incident recording (beep! beep!) and take another memory card! :lol:

[video=youtube;sTMJa4cxJps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTMJa4cxJps[/video]

2nd one will be tomorrow, this took about an hour of stitching 1 minute sections of video together with separate 20 seconds recording of the incident recording sections. 32 sections in all with overlaps edited into that one video. :lol:

The second set of recordings missed the back section with the Jim Clark Esses on three out of the nine laps, so I've scrapped the lot. I had a clear track so there we no battles, so it wasn't worth posting part laps. :lol:

It has been suggested by a couple of people that I should book Cadwell now. :lol:

Back