• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Track Day Discussion

Best investment I ever made was spending money on coaching, it is the single biggest thing that improved my track times.

who with? trackday tuition seemed good the one and only time I've had it but if you believe some on PH then they don't rate it vs other methods.... which they neglected to mention.

I'm going to have a good think about my approach and where i want to go with it. I have been trying to keep costs down but as a second car i could now fit a road legal more track focused tyre. I will have a look through my dashcam footage but first thoughts are i'm maybe a little late on the brakes and am allowing the car to move around too much in the corners which is over-heating the PS4S. Once the graining starts it is very difficult to stop and it reduces grip and enjoyment.

who with? trackday tuition seemed good the one and only time I've had it but if you believe some on PH then they don't rate it vs other methods.... which they neglected to mention.

I don't think the instructors are always that great especially those on a trackday, 20 minutes just isn't enough and I would question their credentials. I used a guy called Malcolm Edison he helped a lot of racers in the series I was in, unsure if he still does it, I stepped away about 5 years ago, Callum Lockie was very expensive but good, Don Palmer for the theory and Andrew Walsh for car control. I used Ron from RSR at Spa and Nurburgring, I shared him with a BTCC driver for a day, my times were quicker that day was well chuffed until the next day, doh!

I didn't use him but Jamie Stanley was recommended, but as I said I haven't been on track for a few years now and curtailed my tutition when I stopped racing (ran out of money :p)

I'm going to have a good think about my approach and where i want to go with it. I have been trying to keep costs down but as a second car i could now fit a road legal more track focused tyre. I will have a look through my dashcam footage but first thoughts are i'm maybe a little late on the brakes and am allowing the car to move around too much in the corners which is over-heating the PS4S. Once the graining starts it is very difficult to stop and it reduces grip and enjoyment.

Smoothness is key, the transition from brake to throttle is important, I find left foot braking a better skill to learn than heel and toe. Just don't practice on a circuit and first time you do it you will most likely activate the ABS.

out of interest, what do you think to the outter edge of tyre in terms of remaining trackdays left?
at abingdon i'd say 3 days before they were on the cords.

Matt definately right on upgrading the next weakest link. found myself doing it to some extent. i'm feeling the next weaklink is suspension but yet to be sure on that. fk2 was more squirmy than i remember last trackday but could be down to (another) possible dealer cockup. Hard to prove it though. been getting the urge to replace OEM rubber with polyurethane. stiffening and lowering/coilovers is tempting but becomes less of a daily and i really dont want to be sacrificing ground clearance due to speedbumps on my primary route to/from home.

You still running standard geo or moved to a more aggressive set up? Bush change will make a difference on track but will make the car more harsh on the road.

Andrew Walsh - name sounds familiar. that the guy that does carlimits at north weald? did that when i had the s2k.

I am running more camber and a bit more of a tuned setup but there's not too much that can be done on the FK2, either aftermarket or stock. Front camber is about the only mod available. I'm only running -1.5 deg camber (-0.5 factory) as thats all we could get on the dream 2deg ball joints. not sure if theres some misunderstanding or i got my order machined wrong but the 2deg option didn't give me the camber i expected. Dream handled it well though.
hardrace have since released camber ball joints (https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...ower-ball-joint-camber-adjuster-2pcs-set.html) that claim upto -3deg so very tempted to swap out to them.
I'm currently in a testing state though. see what works on track, change driving style/drive around limitations and fix the real issues. I've only had -1.5deg for maybe 2 trackdays with 2 different tyres. this next one will be 3rd day on 3rd set of tyres so we'll see how well the cup2's work with what i've got. Plan is to get at least another track day in this year with the car in it's current state.

all ready for donny tomorrow... where do you guys get fuel from? usual poison is vpower but i see it's all motorway services close by so inflated prices.

wasnt too badly priced at the track - £1.46/litre. shame it wasnt active. ended up at a nearby texaco.

very wet day. even had streams running across the circuit at times. what a track though. crainer is a hoot but it did bite.. ended up in a 4wheel slide at one point which i think was due to turning in too sharp so i'll need to review videos to see if i can pinpoint.
wet weather made it tricky. while the fk2/cup2's performed brilliantly, it did make staying on the dry line through crainer a bit interesting if you went off line.

spent most of the time 4th gear which made getting the power down on exits pretty easy. 3rd would just spin up.
car felt in a league of it's own in the wet so i've no idea what this hype around cup2's being no good in the wet.

fastest of the day was 1:27.15 which was on a reasonably dry track but couldn't take the line/speed through crainers as much as i wanted due to rain off line. 1:35.98 fastest of the full wet.

working on getting some RCP videos up now, so should have videos up over the day or 2.

How come you ran cup2 on the front and mps4s on the rear? The time seems reasonable given the weather, I enjoy wet trackdays but you need to find the wet line, Donington is tricky when wet.

How come you ran cup2 on the front and mps4s on the rear? The time seems reasonable given the weather, I enjoy wet trackdays but you need to find the wet line, Donington is tricky when wet.
I'm guessing because the PS4's are grippier than the Cup 2's in the wet? Grippier tyres on the rear = less oversteer in slick conditions

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

i needed a set of 4 before my last trackday at abingdon. tried a pair of ps4s's with my old dunlop RT2's on the rear. way better than the RT2's for track but still not good enough. week after trackday i bought the cup2's to replace the rt2's.

once PS4S's are done, and assuming the cup2's last 12months, i'm going cup2's all round.

feeling frustrated with the car again.
noticed my rear pads are low again. driver side outter is less than the backing plate thickness. not looked at the inner set yet but can bet they'll be lower.
took a look at when i ordered the dixcelZ's; June18... £200, 13months, 8k road (VSA off when out for a drive) and maybe 4 trackdays (always VSA off).
i'm not even on track as much as some either.

yJKDbOk.jpg

girodisc order arrived yesterday and couldnt wait to fit... disc and shims fitted. hopefulyl discs will keep pads under 800c else that'll be another set of cooked pads & time to upgrade to XP12/20 to handle the heat. hopefully my next donington day will be dry..

yep, you see correctly, although it seems to be ok. the inner pad sits 100% on the disc surface, and the disc surface is correctly matched to the pad size.
i think what you see in the picture is actually ok and just a requirement of the machining process for the hat. i have queried it with TDI-North but i'm quite happy running it like this. should sort itself out over the next few weeks of bedding in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see in any way shape or form that the pad overlapping the bell is correct.

You aren't going to be getting any contact on the outer pad/disc other than where it overlaps the bell giving you naff all stopping power. And then are you assuming on the pad will wear down before the bell, because if it's the latter your disc will end up separating from the bell, if the former you're risking your pad breaking up during the process.

Back